My brief time with the Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ronnienyc

Feb 6, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA
Things I did not like about the GNex:

Crazy batter drain: 25 percent per hour during moderate usage. (maybe due to new battery)

No visual voice mail

Missed a lot of key presses – the screen is just not that sensitive (very annoying having re repress keys!)

Speaker quality is miserable. It’s all scratchy and distorted at higher volumes. And it’s not nearly as loud as the Photon.

It’s is not as responsive as the Photon: Photon seems faster with almost any task.

Screen is low contrast and looks muddy in white areas

Screen is unevenly illuminated

Photon camera is hands down better in terms of detail

Right side of images are soft (something wrong with the lens?)

The case is slippery – and it’s already so large that I do not want to add a case.

Lack of capacitive buttons is a real pain. For example, while the phone is importing contact from Google, you can not simply press the home button and do something else in the foreground. There is no button to press, so you are stuck there waiting needlessly.

Things I like about it:
High resolution screen can look fantastic & type looks extra clear

the screen has rich, awesome blacks

The camera is always focusing and shoot as soon as you press the button

It seems to charge very fast

Radios seem good: Speedtest yielded similar results to the Photon on both 3G and wifi.

--------------

As the GNEx is overall less responsive than the Photon, spkr phone is terrible, and battery life is poor, I am going to sell it and keep to Photon.
So yeah, I will be upgrading my other like to the Evo LTE in June and see how that goes…
And hopefully the next Motorola will keep the physical buttons, as the Evo LTE does.

Best,
ron

Last edited:

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
I moved on to a gnex. My screen has been responsive except when the browser is loading.

Battery life seems good once you train the battery. Have gotten about 2 hours of calls AND 4 hours (together) of surf time on wifi.

It is slippery sometimes. Back feels like it has traction sometimes. Does need feel as good in hand as photon, but is lighter and more bottom weighted.

For the speed of the device its mixed. Has same stock launcher hiccup as photon...but only with a LWP. Everything else is smooth for the most part.

Speakerphone is decent if you hold it right. Seems more naturally tuned than voice heavy. Not as loud though.

Another important feature for me is awesome blacks. Photon had black crush and made the xda start up page look orange. Back to a more normal contrast scale on the gnex. The photon was still easier to read in sunlight and both have that blue tinted screen which is either the glare reduction or oleo phobic quality. Mind you the 2nd gnex I am on has the purple tint issue.

Radios seem on par and this thevgnex stays connected to my wife's car it seems. Photon does support more profiles though.

NFC....have you seen what you can do with tags?????? :D

One more thing I love about Sammy devices is their haptic feedback.

Things I miss are the alarm features, stopwatch, web top, HDMI support with no adapter, the kickstand, fb integration, and the rounded edges.

Over all though the gnex is still a great phone as is the photon. I kept mine because of it :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
just as a quick fyi, photon doesnt have physical buttons it has capacitive buttons, the gnexus has onscreen buttons :)

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
For what its worth..... I went to sprint and played with a gnex....... it was OK but the external speaker wasn't very loud and it wasn't any faster than my photon. For me it isn't enough of a difference for me to upgrade from my photon with cm9. I really do want a phone with nfc chip and a baro sensor tho.

Sent from my CM9'd Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

ronnienyc

Feb 6, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA
OK - just tried the HTC One X. It is indeed impressive - much more so than the Gnex.

The screen is pretty fantastic, it feels smaller and more sturdy than the Gnex too.

A much better phone IMO.

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
It is said that the battery life is very good.
it would have to be out of this world fantastic for me to even consider it.

i spend my free time riding a dualsport motorcycle at times way farther into the Everglades than i should be and have to turn on GPS for hours at a time. i use a 3500ma battery daily and carry the stocker as a backup. a replaceable battery is a must for me.

to be honest as well i'm tired of having half ass broken phones. unlocked bootloader but no 4g etc. as soon as my area gets LTE i'm getting what ever Nexus phone is available at that time. hopefully it's a motorola made one but if not it's no big deal.

LexLuger82

May 25, 2011
it would have to be out of this world fantastic for me to even consider it.

i spend my free time riding a dualsport motorcycle at times way farther into the Everglades than i should be and have to turn on GPS for hours at a time. i use a 3500ma battery daily and carry the stocker as a backup. a replaceable battery is a must for me.

to be honest as well i'm tired of having half ass broken phones. unlocked bootloader but no 4g etc. as soon as my area gets LTE i'm getting what ever Nexus phone is available at that time. hopefully it's a motorola made one but if not it's no big deal.

This

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

ryan8r

Apr 9, 2011
Only thing worse than getting a boner in public places is not having a memory expansion slot on my smartphone as I like to keep my media in excess. So that was the deal breaker for me.

Sent not from your device!

coolqf

Sep 7, 2007
Istanbul
The battery as mediocre with my gnex when I first got it too. After two weeks the battery has improved greatly. When using only stock I prefer the gnex.

If you own the photon skip the gnex, but if its between both and all else is equal then go with the gnex. Price wise, the photon can't be beat though. Wish I still had it, I would have spent my money on a tablet instead!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
Or Google could just have Motorola build the next nexus phone. We'd get the best hardware, vanilla android and a unlocked boot loader.

Sent from my CM9'd Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
I sold GN, to a man, that sold it to me, after he tried HTC OneX, he wants GN back and gave OneX away. I am staying with Photon for now. ;-)

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Not relevant

Ok people. Doing reviews on devices other than the Photon 4g, should be kept in respective device forums. Unless I'm missing something, I didn't see the MP4G mentioned once.

I put a sticky up just for posts like these. "What Phone should I buy"

Also, for "some", try and keep the sexual innuendo's to a minimum... "boner", and don't let it progress farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.