[APP] AutoBacklight Toggle + Steps [29/9/2010]

Search This thread

react

Sep 14, 2007
orico.cz
I created simple app to turn auto-backlight function on/off really quickly. I missed that feature on my HD2 and the need of doing 5 moves to get it changed was not much user friendly. So here is the solution!

Edit 2010/09/29:
Thanks for all your comments and ideas. This lead to following two versions that looks to be final.

AutoBacklightToggle (last update 2010/05/30):
Simply install the CAB below and you will get new program in Start menu called "AutoBacklight". When you tap the icon, it changes your auto-backlight setting from on to off or backwards based on your current state. Simple and effective.

AutoBacklightSteps (last update 2010/09/29):
The "Steps" are extended version of toggle. You can set predefined backlight settings that will be called each time you run the app. Let's say you select 10, 50, 100, Auto. First time you run the app, the backlight is set to 10%, second time to 50%, then to 100% and finally to Autobacklight. In next step the 10% setting will be back again.

There were few changes done on 09/29 (v1.0):
- the backlight is set to the same value for both the battery and external power.
- everyone can select what the steps will be (see below)
- everyone can select if he wants the change to be confirmed by pop-up window (see below).

Setting AutoBacklightSteps:
1) There is a new TXT file in Program Files/AutoBacklightSteps folder called AutoBacklightSteps.txt. All the setting is done in there manually.
2) The first line is used to adjust the steps. You can use numbers "10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100" or character "A" which means autobacklight. Separate all steps with comma, otherwise it will not work. I attached the default TXT file to this post for reference.
3) The second line is used to turn the notifications on/off. Write there Notification=1 to turn it on or 0 to turn it off.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.png
    ScreenShot1.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,119
  • ScreenShot2.Png
    ScreenShot2.Png
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,136
  • AutoBacklightToggle.CAB
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,650
  • AutoBacklightSteps.v1.0.CAB
    74.7 KB · Views: 945
  • AutoBacklightSteps.txt
    27 bytes · Views: 719
Last edited:

react

Sep 14, 2007
orico.cz
Yes. Auto-backlight uses the light sensor to adjust backlight. This function can be turned on/off in setting but it is hard to get there so I made simple app to toggle it using one tap.

Hoodeddeathman

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
Just had a genius idea. Is it possible that you could dim/brighten the backlight by holding in a hardware key? ie. Hold the button then it brightens gradually to 100% and then back down to zero etc.

iBlade67

Aug 8, 2008
Just had a genius idea. Is it possible that you could dim/brighten the backlight by holding in a hardware key? ie. Hold the button then it brightens gradually to 100% and then back down to zero etc.

Yes, you can use AEButtonPlus app and use your volume buttons to control your backlight in two stages by long pressing them (short press volume control). Low- medium-high. I love it and use it all the time.

Last edited:

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008

If the default auto-backlight solution is too annoying you could just use Lumos... just Google the xda forums for it. Been using it from Touch HD to now and still works great.

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
I made something similar just a little while back that also functioned as a launcher for haret (ie, to launch Android) on the TP2. Are you just toggling the registry key, or are you directly controlling the function?

react

Sep 14, 2007
orico.cz
I made something similar just a little while back that also functioned as a launcher for haret (ie, to launch Android) on the TP2. Are you just toggling the registry key, or are you directly controlling the function?

Yep, just changing registry value. It is good that it takes effect immediatelly after you change it.

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Yep, just changing registry value. It is good that it takes effect immediatelly after you change it.

Ya, I was surprised to find that it seemed to take effect almost instantly. How do you suppose that works, some HTC program constantly polling that value?

Is it "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\ControlPanel\\BackLight", "LightDetectOn" on the HD2 as well? I wonder if it's consistent across HTC devices.

J

j4n87

thanks 4 sharing this app =).
a notification messagebox would be nice.auto backlight on/off

best regards

WestSiide

Dec 20, 2008
will this work on a tp2 or any other device? im assuming it could since all its doing is changing the registry and theyre very similar, right?

fazz

Jun 28, 2006
East London
plus.google.com
Thank you very much \(^_^)/

Outstanding! It is just what I was thinking today... I need a AutoBackLight toggle function, because I like to have my screen on 90% (in battery mode) but when I'm using it to maybe just read (white text on a black background (which I wish there was more of)) for long periods, want to save a bit on battery life or in a fairly dark room, I want to be able to easily switch to 'auto' and back again when required.

Thanks very much...
will try it for a few days at least and let you know how I get on! [^_^]

Top Liked Posts