SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods

Search This thread

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011
Last edited:

lordemil

May 1, 2011
Richmond
Hey guy's can anyone please provide another link to the stock firmware this one is down please PM me or post it underneath for everyone thx :)

Hi

I've tried numerous times to download the Bell firmware from the other forum, but it keeps saying page not found. Can anyone re-upload for me?

Thanks so much!
[/QUOTE]

not allowed to post outside links, cause im a new user.... -__-
anyways pms will be sent to you

LNJ

Oct 7, 2007
Anyone unlocked SGS2 on Bell network?
If so what app did you use?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Try Galaxy S Unlock by Helroz in rhe market. It is a free anp and takes less than 2 mins.
That's how I unlocked mine to use on Rogers.

pnjbibomb

Jun 15, 2011
The free app in the market works great to unlock. It unlocked my captivate and bell sgs2 no problems

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Tupinthon

Mar 3, 2012
Noob help

OK, I'm new to this stuff so please be patient.

I got a great deal on a Bell Galaxy s2...$280 and in perfect shape. I am leery of rooting the phone so I unlocked it via an ebay code seller ($19.95). Using it on 711-speakout (Rogers network).

Now I want to get a better firmware on it....I can't believe Bell hasn't updated it at all!!! I figured I get some practice before an official ICS update is released.

So the most stable firmware is 2.3.5 or 2.3.6?

It seems from what I have read that I can use Odin to update the firmare without rooting it. I see the instructions on the Original post on page 1 for doing this.

Can someone give me a direct link to the best/most current/most stable firmware to use?

I'd prefer the frankenstein non-wipe version but all the multiupload links are down...so does anyone have a direct download to a Ki3 or better recommended frankenstein version?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

pnjbibomb

Jun 15, 2011
Try this good 2.3.6 Rom

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...D™ V6 | Kitchen Pro v2.4 a Masterpiece again!

Sykojoe

Mar 4, 2012
Toronto
Last edited:

craig250

Jan 3, 2012
Cabo San Lucas
I have a bell mobility galaxy s2,I haven't rooted it, but I flashed a couple different firmwares on it and I am currently using the ki3 one. Just recently it has stopped detecting my Sim card,I took it to a bell store and it is not my Sim card as it worked in a different phone and a different Sim card did the same thing in my phone..

Had anyone else had this problem? Or know of a possible solution?

If not I think I will need to send it in for warranty. do I need to get a USB jig to reset the counter if I have not rooted the phone, and have only flashed new firmware?

Any help will be very very much appreciated, right now I cannot receive or make calls or messages or anything..my phone is just a glorified iPod touch..

LNJ

Oct 7, 2007
Have you tried reflashing the rom or a different rom just to see if it solves the issue?

craig250

Jan 3, 2012
Cabo San Lucas
I just tried that, but now the phone is frozen in Odin with just one bar left.. Now I'm not sure what to do about that..

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Ok I factory reset it and re flashed the firmware, and it still cannot read my Sim card.. the imei and base band version is showing up as unknown..

I'm going to have to send it back to Samsung, so when I set it back to the original firmware do I still need to reset the binary count? I've only flashed firmware iand never rooted it

cholywell

Sep 20, 2011
Regina
twitter.com
I just tried that, but now the phone is frozen in Odin with just one bar left.. Now I'm not sure what to do about that..

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Ok I factory reset it and re flashed the firmware, and it still cannot read my Sim card.. the imei and base band version is showing up as unknown..

I'm going to have to send it back to Samsung, so when I set it back to the original firmware do I still need to reset the binary count? I've only flashed firmware iand never rooted it

If the imei is showing unknown then your efs partition is destroyed which contains the info like imei and Mac addresses. It cant be regenerated and if you don't have a backup of the efs you may be sol.

Also I think anytime you flash with Oden it increases the counter. It display displays the counter when you enter download mode.

Reactions: craig250

craig250

Jan 3, 2012
Cabo San Lucas
I'm not sure how that would have happened, it's been over a month since I flashed the firmware, everything was working fine..it's weird.. But I guess I'm going to have to reset it all and send it back.. That sucks..anyone know how to reset the counter without the USB jig? Or where to get one really fast?

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I also need to find a copy of the stock bell firmware if anyone knows where to get that please..turns out the file had is only the modem..and now that multiupload is shut down I cannot find it...fml

xZeDgEx

Aug 14, 2010
Calgary
Is there a trick to flashing just the modem?

This is as far as I get, and then it just sits there..

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> modem.bin

Using stock Bell Rom, trying to flash KI3 modem. (Phone slot)

File- Modem_I9100XXKI3.tar

I was able to flash just the CSC file the same way, CSC slot of course.

Last edited:

craig250

Jan 3, 2012
Cabo San Lucas
The link in the first post for the bell mobility firmware only has the modem and three img files, does anyone know where I can get the rest of the firmware files?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Button Combos:
    Download Mode: Volume Down+Home+Power
    Recovery Mode: Volume Up+Home+Power
    Once in recovery use volume keys to navigate, home button to select and power button to go back

Official Firmware Version
    PDA: I9100MUGKG2
    Phone: I9100MUGKG2
    CSC: I9100MBMCKG2
    Product Code: GT-I9100LKMBMC

Unlock

Galaxy_S Unlock App by Helroz found here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock&feature=search_result.

Rooting

CF-Root Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    We do not have a CF-Root version of our kernel so just flash any kernel using the instructions provided in the link and flash the stock kernel back (found below). Root will remain as well as the CWM app but you will loose clockwork mod recovery.
    Alternative method:
    Zergrush exploit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682&highlight=zegrush

Yellow Triangle Removal

Tutorial can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193091
    Alternatively you can use a Jig as it also resets the custom Rom counter

I9100 Secret Codes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193285

All links below are for Gingerbread 2.3.3 MUGK2

Stock Bell/Virgin Modem

Directions: Use Odin and place .tar file in "phone" section
    Download
    Mirror: Download

Stock Firmware

Download

Stock Kernel

Directions: Place .tar file in PDA section using ODIN
    Download

Bell CSC

Directions: Flash with Odin in CSC section
    Download

Additional Modems:
    Some users are experiencing better Gps/Reception with the KH3/KI3 modem
    Directions: Unzip file and flash modem.bin with Odin under "phone" section

I9100XXKH3-Download
    I9100XXKG6-Download
    I9100XXKI1-Download
    I9100XXKI3-Download
    I9100XXKI4-Download

*CWM Compatible Modems can be found here

Flashing Instructions

How to install the latest firmware on your phone. This will also get rid of Bell's bloatware:

1) Make sure you have working drivers installed on your computer. If you do not, the easiest way is to download Kies and it will install it for you.

2) Install Odin 1.85 on your computer (attached at the bottom of this post)

3) Pick any firmware version you would like to flash from Intratech's thread linked here. The firmware is arranged from oldest to newest so the last ones are obviously going to be the newest.

4) Start Odin in "administrator" mode and make sure Kies is not running in the background. Use task manager to check

5) Place your downloaded firmware .tar or .md5 file into the PDA section in Odin. Make sure re-partition is not selected. Auto reboot and reset time should be selected by default.

6) Remove any external sd cards and the sim card from your phone (precaution) then reboot into download or hold volume down + home + power key. If a warning pops up press the volume up key to continue.

7) Connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable. You should see the I.D:Com port turn yellow.

8) Once you are certain everything is where it should be, select START. Once the process has completed your phone will re-boot. Exit out of Odin. That's it!

Optional (Rooting)

9) If you wish to root your will need to download a cf-root kernel that matches the firmware you just flashed from here. For example if you flashed XXKI4 then you will need to download the cf-root kernel that ends with XXKI4

10) Restart Odin and place the kernel .tar file in the PDA section, connect your phone and press START.

Alternative TWlaunchers

Since upgrading to 2.3.4/2.3.5 firmwares, some (including myself) have noticed some lag/stuttering when flipping through homescreens. I find that this gets worse when using the program monitor widget. I put together some alternatives that I pulled from the US variants of the Galaxy S2.
    I have tested them and they have pretty much eliminated the issue. I personally find them much smoother. These are stock Twlaunchers with no mods. The files can be found at the bottom of this post. Requires Root.

Directions: These files a deodexed but will work with Odexed Firmwares (I tested on 2.3.5) Make sure to download another launcher and use it as your primary. While using an alternative launcher, back up the twlauncher.apk and .odex files under system app then the libglcanvas.so under system/lib. Then delete twlauncher.odex. Boot into CWM recovery and flash the new twlauncher. If you do not have CWM recovery you can also unzip the file and drop the .apk into system/app and the .so into system/lib.

AT&T
    App version: 2.3.4
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through home screens. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

Epic 4G Touch (Sprint)
    App version: 2.3.4
    Features: Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules)
    App version: 2.3.5
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through homescreens and widget selection screen. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

credits: Intratech, x-cimo
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    Currently the best 3 choices that is closest to our firmware version are:
    CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_JP_XSG_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    Note: You will not be able to revert back to the stock kernel until Samsung releases our Firmware

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip is not even close to our version of android. It is a 2.3.4 kernel. Just because it says KG2, doesn't mean it's the same. That only refers to a single geographical area's release for a month. I'll explain:

The rom letter versions are actually based upon 5 letters, not 3. There are several variants of KG2. Basically, the Samsung naming convention is as follows:
    Model name: I9100M
    Provider/Area: UG (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel)
    Rom Version: KG2

Now, the rom version can get broken down into each letter as well...
    K = 2011
    G = July
    2 = 2nd version that month.

All area's roms are developed completely separate from each other...

Ours is UGKG2. Which is unavailable for download from the Samsung servers, so we're not able to actually get back to stock, or make any kind of custom firmwares/kernels based upon it.

All the other ones, including ZS, JP, and XX are completely different roms and kernels than what we have on our Bell phones.

The KG2 that either of those 3 kernels are based on are either 2.3.4 roms or different 2.3.3 roms. So, matching that is no different than installing a KG1 or KG3 or any KF* CF-Root kernels. ChainFire has not made a CF-Root based upon UGKG2 yet, so no matter what one you install, it's not based upon our rom, meaning you can basically install ANY CF-Root Kernel and as long as your phone still works with it, it doesn't matter. All the roms are completely different and the naming convention has nothing to do with each other unless all 5 letters/numbers match up.

Lesson of the night???? Just because a pile of uninformed people on a forum agree about something, it doesn't make it correct...
    UGKG2 firmware and kernel now available in the carrier firmware thread.
    How to root sgs2 from BELL (GT-9100M)?

details steps plz for a beginner

-Download and install ODIN on your PC.
    -From XDA, download the kernel CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip(ZIP.File)
    -unzip the above file and it will unzip itself to CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.tar (TAR File)
    -Fire up ODIN and under 'PDA' browse to the above mentioned .tar file.
    -Place your phone on download mode (either USB jig, or boot it up while holding vol down+home+power)
    -once in download mode, plug in to the computer.
    -everything should be default settings in ODIN,butmake sure repartition and flashlock IS NOT ticked.
    -click start
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278
    DONE
    Yea, see the problem with custom roms is that often....no, ALWAYS I have to load the stock Bell modem, because on any other modem I roam all the time and my wireless hotspot does not seem to work. If I could extract this modem from the newly released bell ics then I would give it a try.

Also, last custom rom I tried was Litening but the email on it did not work properly and kept freezing. Also I would miss the samsung SocialHub. I like how it consolidates all my messages and email.

Here ya go friend (CWM LD3 Modem just for you): http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Anyone have the ld3 modem..
    I am using d4 from with lps modem..would really like to see if there is a big difference with ld3 modem on signal quality..

Installed it this afternoon, signal has been locked on full bars ever since. Did not try gps and things like that though.

http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------