[GUIDE] Juopunutbear S-OFF (HBOOT 1.27.0000 with 3.32 ICS Firmware)

Search This thread

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Thank you again!

But most of the time, the phone rebooted into the bear again, but sometimes, (mostly the last 30 times from the 300 times of trying) the phone hangs and stays off.

Are you disconnecting the USB cable? Because you shouldn't disconnect it whatsoever during this process. What's your battery level at when doing this process?

Why not EXT4? Does that really matters? The possibilities seems the same.
It's a new program and it just doesn't work well with EXT4 as the Recovery, would love to know why but in the interim, please try with CWM and once you get S-OFF, switch back.

Last edited:

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Hey, guys, I successfully got S-OFF on Hboot 1.27... However, my wifi seems to have gone haywire. After rebooting from the process, I tried to turn on my Wifi, and it doesn't work. The slider, when i tap it, jumps to the "on" state", and quickly jumps back to "off". In settings main menu, the wifi status is shown as "Error". Screenshots are attached.

Note that I followed the guide in this thread more or less to the letter, including installing the rooted ROM at the beginning.

BTW, I have a Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e.
A common issue, you need to flash the boot.img from the same ROM in Fastboot. Extract it from the ZIP and connect your phone in USB Debugging mode. Then do the following:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
fastboot reboot

There's a whole thread on it here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1469428

Scramjet

Apr 10, 2012
Singapore
A common issue, you need to flash the boot.img from the same ROM in Fastboot. Extract it from the ZIP and connect your phone in USB Debugging mode. Then do the following:

There's a whole thread on it here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1469428

Thanks for the prompt reply. What do you mean by "flash the boot.img from the same ROM in Fastboot"? I am quite noob in android stuff. And the link you gave tells me how to prevent such a Wifi error, or at least, that's what I can understand. (I'm a noob, remember?) So please help! I'd really appreciate some detail and explanation in layman terms. everyone starts somewhere, I'll start here.

Last edited:

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
The ROM I have in my guide to flash in Recover is a stock version of HTC ICS, 3.32.

http://files.virtuousrom.com/pyramid/misc/rmk-pyramid-stock_ics_3.32.401.3-v1.zip

Download that file and in the root, there is a boot.img - this needs to be flashed in Fastboot mode (the screen where you view your S-OFF status, also known as the Bootlaoder).

To get there, connect your phone to your computer and using ADB, type the commands:
adb reboot-bootloader (your phone will reboot into Bootloader)

-OR-

Power down your phone, hold the down volume and power for 5 seconds to get into the Bootloader.

fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img (this will flash your boot.img that you took from the above ROM).
fastboot reboot (this will reboot the phone back into normal mode)

After this, your Wi-Fi issues will be resolved.

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
The ROM I have in my guide to flash in Recover is a stock version of HTC ICS, 3.32.

http://files.virtuousrom.com/pyramid/misc/rmk-pyramid-stock_ics_3.32.401.3-v1.zip

Download that file and in the root, there is a boot.img - this needs to be flashed in Fastboot mode (the screen where you view your S-OFF status, also known as the Bootlaoder).

To get there, connect your phone to your computer and using ADB, type the commands:

It will be easier if you take and copy and paste the boot.img in the same folder that fastboot in in. Less typing.

fastboot flash boot boot.img. (if I remember correctly, I have not flashed via fastboot in a while)

Reactions: undercover

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Yes it is of course but usually newbies to this kind of thing are unsure of even using Fastboot so I thought giving the direction to the path itself would be easier. My OP has the original method of fastboot flash boot boot.img listed

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Yes it is of course but usually newbies to this kind of thing are unsure of even using Fastboot so I thought giving the direction to the path itself would be easier. My OP has the original method of fastboot flash boot boot.img listed

Newebies that are unsure of using a fastboot shouldn't even try to run Bear. Users at that level don't need s-off, official unlock is good enough to flash custom rom.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

CRXed

Jan 7, 2010
II have noticed that serveral people in this thread do not understand the difference between HTC Dev unlock and S-off. HTC Dev unlock just unlocks the boot, recovery, and system portitions.

Sorry to be a noob here, but I am new to the Sensation. I have stock ICS, I think hboot 1.27 and everything is standard.
I just want to use Titanium Backup and maybe flash a stock rom from scratch.

Can you point me in the right direction? How do I get rooted?
I need root, but do I also need s-off?

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Newebies that are unsure of using a fastboot shouldn't even try to run Bear. Users at that level don't need s-off, official unlock is good enough to flash custom rom.

Very true sir but this user had already got through the whole procedure themselves and was looking for help with the common Wi-Fi error, another command wouldn't hurt :)

- XDA Sensationalism!

quickmix

Apr 24, 2012
problem with drivers ?

Hi!

Using the rooted stock rom from this thread, htcdev unlocked. superuser installed. Also have adb/fastboot working ( can see the device from adb devices / fastboot devices ). Installed drivers and uninstalled htcsync but I get this error
======== ControlBear version 0.2.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
Starting up......
Connecting to device...
Found backups!
Using eMMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk0
Using MMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk1
Boot partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
Recovery partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
Is information correct? You have 5 seconds time to press CTRL+C
Finding some beer.....
Found first....
Found second....
Found third....
Hmmmm... where is that last one....... Wait a sec....
Found fourth....
Rebooting.......
=== Waiting device....
(45/45)
Hmmm, still no device
Open device manager and check adb and/or fastboot drivers!!
Resetting connection....1........2....

Can't figure out where the problem might be. HTC Sensation restarts and juopunutbear logo stays on. Can use the backups to restore the previous state but it wont s-off.

Tried 2 different computers as well with same sensation and the same error occured.

Last edited:

Scramjet

Apr 10, 2012
Singapore

Thanks. I did try that... but it didn't work. A friend of mine recommended I clear the cache, backup APPS ONLY and then factory reset, then flash this ROM. Would this help? I don't really want to bring it to the HTC Service Centre. They may end up asking awkward questions (my phone's still under warranty).

Secondly, I re-read the link you provided... and, correct me if I'm wrong, whatever I did, I replaced the stock kernel modules in the /system/lib/modules, and now there's a WiFi error because I couldn't change the stock HTC kernel as well, so the stcok kernel is mismatched with the kernel modules that got installed in the folder. So how?

And, if there's a way to undo this JuopunutBear Hboot mod, I'm welcome to hear it. As this user rightly said,

So if I can restore my phone to the HTC Unlock-only, S-ON state, with little evidence that I actually tried this, then, I'd really appreciate it. I actually only attempted this because I wanted to UNDERclock my processor and allow playing of old-style Java mobile phone games
I have a Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e, pyramid htc_asia_wwe.

Last edited:

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Thanks. I did try that... but it didn't work. A friend of mine recommended I clear the cache, backup APPS ONLY and then factory reset, then flash this ROM. Would this help? I don't really want to bring it to the HTC Service Centre. They may end up asking awkward questions (my phone's still under warranty).
That's the stock boot.img you should flash in order to fix the Wi-Fi error. If for instance you flash a different ROM (such as LeeDroid or ADHD), you should flash the boot.img from that ROM in Fastboot.

If you follow the guide and start fresh (which I recommend going to any new ROM) by using SuperWipe, then flashing the new ROM followed by flashing the boot.img in Fastboot, all should be well.

Alternatively, take the boot.img from the zip of the ROM you are using and flash it in Fastboot. All the information on it is in the link I posted.

I also recommend flashing the unlocked firmware for your version, please see this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1459767 - Version 3.32 should be your Firmware so you just need to associate your download to your CID (or any will do if you changed your CID to 11111111). :)

Reactions: Scramjet

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK

Secondly, I re-read the link you provided... and, correct me if I'm wrong, whatever I did, I replaced the stock kernel modules in the /system/lib/modules, and now there's a WiFi error because I couldn't change the stock HTC kernel as well, so the stcok kernel is mismatched with the kernel modules that got installed in the folder. So how?

And, if there's a way to undo this JuopunutBear Hboot mod, I'm welcome to hear it. As this user rightly said,

So if I can restore my phone to the HTC Unlock-only, S-ON state, with little evidence that I actually tried this, then, I'd really appreciate it. I actually only attempted this because I wanted to UNDERclock my processor and allow playing of old-style Java mobile phone games
I have a Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e, pyramid htc_asia_wwe.

Pop in to IRC (click link in my signature) and we'll try to help you.

jacko_oafc

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks!!! Just done this took me about 30min in total to get it, i think a key thing is, is to have sound on when you are doing it so you can heard the windows sounds when you connect something then you know you have to time it with that.

Thanks!!! S=OFF :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1611981 | Original Author - http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm

Was advised by another member that a handy guide would be useful for other members, I am going to base this on what I did in my own experience :)

*** NOTE: There have been many updates with this method and all other troubleshooting steps can be found on the website - http://unlimited.io/jbtroubleshooting.htm ***

Juopunutbear Requirments:

* Be unlocked using the HTCdev bootloader unlock - http://htcdev.com/bootloader
    * Be rooted (have superuser and/or an unsecured boot image installed)
    * Have a spare microSD card, or to have backed up all contents of your SDcard, the card will be wiped
    * Have fastboot and adb drivers installed and working (windows)
    * Have usb debugging enabled
    * Have a legth of insulated wire of sufficient length to join the contact points for your device (paperclip)

NOTE: This is based on an ICS Upgraded Sensation 4.0.3 with HBOOT 1.27.0000 and Firmware 3.32.

Make sure you have at least 50% battery life for this and some free time. I also recommend a paperclip extended out with some insulation tape over the whole thing except for the tips (leave about 1CM free each end) for the wire trick.

1 - Backup and Format your SD Card

Easiest thing to do as this is essential for the program to work and you wouldn't want to risk your content.

2 - Restore to Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM

I did this because I was getting an error message only 1 other user reported and I believe it was because I was using a custom ROM (LeeDroid) with a kernel based on 3.32 from a different ROM. I kept getting an Segmentation error:
    ======== ControlBear version 0.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
    Old beer detected...... Please wait......
    Starting up......
    Waiting device
    Segmentation fault
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    It is not 100% necessary to wipe and start fresh but I expect most other users to be changing ROM's after gaining S-OFF (because you can change your CID). As I said at the start, it's based on my own experience and I always prefer to start fresh with a new ROM unless upgrading. Just flash this in Recovery as you would any normal ROM. I also suggest downloading and running SuperWipe before hand.

Here's the download - http://files.virtuousrom.com/pyramid/misc/rmk-pyramid-stock_ics_3.32.401.3-v1.zip

ALTERNATIVELY - Root your current ROM (again) with the following flashable ZIP - http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

3 - Flash boot.img from Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM in Fastboot

As you know, if you flash a ROM with a HTC Unlocked bootloader, it has to be based on the 3.32 firmware and some ROM's you flash won't boot because of this so extract it from the above ZIP and flash it in fastboot (ROM should still boot but pays to be safe).
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    4 - Download Juopunutbear S-OFF

Here's the download - MOD-Edit: Link removed

5 - Connect phone over USB with debugging enabled

Should be on by default but if not, go to Settings > Develop Option > USB Debugging

6 - Run Juopunutbear S-OFF

Let this run through it's normal procedure, you will see some prompts on your phones screen about X application being granted superuser permissions, this is normal. After about 15-30 seconds your phone will reboot and boot to the Juopunutbear screen (I believe it's a recovery like loader). DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR USB CABLE!

7 - Use Wire-Trick to obtain S-OFF

This is the fun part, make's it really seem like hacking ;) When requested by the application, use the suggested paperclip to join the SD Card casing to the connector as in the image:

Great guide here by XDA member @seb_labine - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133633

VGzQt.jpg

This initial confusion myself was that you had to hold it for an awfully accurate 1.75 seconds but that was my mistake. Here's how I got it to work.

NOTE: The below will repeatedly show on screen until you make contact, then it will say Waiting Device (as it reboots).
    Do not remove sdcard from phone
    Do wire-trick now!! Look instructions at web

Waiting device....
    Create contact for 0.5 Seconds > Release for 1.75 Seconds > Create contact for 0.5 Seconds > Release connection completely.

oSMlA.gif

If done incorrectly (as in the timing is wrong) you will get this message.
    Waiting device....
    Found device... Please wait...
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Buddies and Beer
    Checking alcohol level......
    Let's take one more......
    S-OFF Failed
    Errorcode: 66732337
    ErrorMsg: Still sober
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    If so, please close Juopunutbear and reopen it and it will start again.

And a great video guide by kgs1992:

Once it's done successfully, you will see this message...

======== ControlBear version 0.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
    Starting up......
    Making room for beer......
    Loading sixpacks on sdcard......
    Loaded......

Waiting device....
    Rebooting device
    Please wait....
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    Seems to be just right.....
    Aaaah, nice sunny day!!
    Rebooting.......
    Waiting device....
    Rebooting bootloader.......
    Waiting device....
    Fastboot detected
    JuopunutBear S-OFF success
    Do you want to install JuopunutBear modified hboot? (y/n)
    Installing JuopunutBear hboot.....
    Waiting.....
    Flashing.......
    Rebooting......
    JuopunutBear hboot installed
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    Now, that's it and you are done. It will reboot into Bootloader and you will see this:

2etXi.jpg

NOTE: It will say ***LOCKED*** at the top of Bootloader, this is fine because it's S-OFF what's important. The Locked / Unlocked status is for the HTC Dev method.

Congratulations! Now that your in Bootloader with S-OFF, how about a nice new Recovery and change of CID?

Normal - http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-pyramid.img
    Touch - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.9-pyramid.img
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
    And for the CID (so you can flash any ROM or RUU for latest radios and debranding)?
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111 (to change CID)
    fastboot reboot-bootloader (bootloader will reboot)
    fastboot getvar cid (it will confirm your CID as 11111111
    fastboot reboot (to reboot back in your current ROM)
    Thanks for stopping by and cheers!

ireland-flag-50.gif
    Brilliant guide, well done. :)

After 20 more times, still no luck.

I got this after the wire trick:
    Code:
    Waiting device....
    Fastboot detected
    Rebooting device
    Please wait....
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    S-OFF Failed
    Errorcode: 66732337
    ErrorMsg: Still sober
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    That "rebooting device" I don't see in the guide above... Also the phone vibrates like a real new boot up...
    I've corrected that for you.

Your almost there, now it's just a matter of getting the timing right with the Wire-Trick. Keep at it, I assure you it will work.

BTW, can I ask what you are using to make contact? Are you making quick contact and releasing for about 1.75 seconds and quick contact again? I find it to be better to be on the early side of 1.75 seconds rather than later (in my testing).
    I can enter hboot, but s-on

If you can boot into Hboot ypou are not bricked. Boot to Hboot and select fastboot and then use either fast boot commands to flash the boot.img and system.img again.

Edit:Also I have noticed that serveral people in this thread do not understand the difference between HTC Dev unlock and S-off. HTC Dev unlock just unlocks the boot, recovery, and system portitions. The below is quoted from the HTC Dev site.

Why is my security still on (S-On) after I have unlocked my bootloader?

Your device is shipped with Security on (S-ON) to protect your system software configuration (such as the bootloader, radio, boot, recovery, system and others). After you have unlocked the bootloader, however, you will have lifted the restrictions on boot, recovery and system. This means you can customize boot, recovery and system images on your phone as you desire. You can easily see that you have successfully unlocked the bootloader by looking at the top of the screen when entering the bootloader screen. Security is left on to protect things like the radio, and SIM lock.

But the catch is that you can not flash a recovery by naming it PG58IMG.zip, placing it on the root of the SD card, and then booting into Hboot so it will flash, you have to flash it via fastboot commands. You can not flash custom kernels through Recovery, you have to flash them via fastboot commands. You can only flash system.img via recovery. You can not flash Radios, Hboot versions, or change your CID when you use the HTC Dev unlock.

With S-0ff you have full read write privileges to the NAND. This includes the boot portitions, system portitions, recovery portitions, radio portitions, and bootloader of the device.
    I used several things, like paperclips, wire from a little old computer fan, but the best thing so far seems to be insulated wire used to wrap cables what comes with new electric stuff... And then take some platic of both ends...

I've tried 100 times now.
    The fact that I am this far means that there are now problems withs roms and roots etc, am I correct? (I used ARHD, not the stock rom)
    If you have got to the point of the Wire-Trick, ROM's and Roots are irrelevant because you are well past that. It's just timing. I've done a little GIF for the best timing of the contact. Hope this helps you :)

oSMlA.gif