Link2SD says Remove Link Failure

Search This thread

beani45

Mar 9, 2011
When I try to remove a link in Link2SD I will have the message

Remove link failure
rm failed for /data/sdext2..... Read-only file system

All files I can se have RW. Can it be a problem with the SD-card?

Is is not possible to make any new links either.

:confused:

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
When I try to remove a link in Link2SD I will have the message

Remove link failure
rm failed for /data/sdext2..... Read-only file system

All files I can se have RW. Can it be a problem with the SD-card?

Is is not possible to make any new links either.
It sounds like the partition got mounted to /data/sdext2 as read-only somehow. It doesn't matter what the actual file permissions are if the partition is not mounted as read/write. Try one of the following commands to see how it is mounted:
Code:
#If using a terminal emulator on your phone
mount

#If using adb on your computer
adb shell mount

#Here's the output I get:
rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,mode=755,gid=1000)
tmpfs on /mnt/obb type tmpfs (rw,mode=755,gid=1000)
/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)
/dev/block/mtdblock5 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /data/dalvik-cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on [B][COLOR="Red"]/data/sdext2[/COLOR][/B] type ext2 ([B][COLOR="Red"]rw[/COLOR][/B],noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)
/dev/block/vold/179:4 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/block/vold/179:4 on /mnt/secure/asec type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure type tmpfs (ro,size=0k,mode=000)
If yours says "ro" instead of "rw", you might have to modify the link2sd mounting script in /etc/init.d/

I would also suggest posting this in the Link2SD thread so more people, including the dev, can help you figure it out.

Bling_Diggity

Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
www.g-slatefans.com
I too am having a similar problem, except when trying to create a link. The message i get is:

"Create Link Failure

: cannot create /data/sdext2/sampleapp.apk: read-only file system"

I checked to see if my sdext2 partition is RO - and it is. How do I fix this? I found the link2sd mounting script in the init.d directory, but I have no clue as to how to edit it in order to get things working. I checked in the link2sd thread u posted above, but found no answer to this problem after reading thru 94+ pages.

Help...please...

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
The message i get is:

"Create Link Failure

: cannot create /data/sdext2/sampleapp.apk: read-only file system"

I checked to see if my sdext2 partition is RO - and it is. How do I fix this? I found the link2sd mounting script in the init.d directory, but I have no clue as to how to edit it in order to get things working.
Please post the output from the mount command so it will help us figure out how the link2sd script needs to be modified if that is the problem. It would be good if you could attach or post the contents of the link2sd script also. The easiest way might be to just open up either a terminal emulator or use an adb shell through your computer for two commands(filling in the appropriate script name):
Code:
su
cat /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME
Copy that output and post it here. If you get a read-only error, look below on how to remount /system as r/w and try again.

The script's mount command might use /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 instead of /dev/block/vold/179:2 as well as -o options and/or -t type possibly being specified but it should be similar to the following:
Code:
mount /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
#Only guessing until I get more info but you could try one of these:
mount -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
mount -o rw -t TYPE /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
#TYPE will be the format of your 2nd partition: ext2 or ext3 or ext4 or vfat(if fat32)

To edit the link2sd script, Root Explorer would work if you have it. If so, you can navigate to /system/etc/init.d/, click on the "mount rw" button at the top right, then long click on the link2sd script, choose "open in text editor" and make your changes. Another option is using adb. You can pull a copy of the script to your computer, edit it, then push it back. From a terminal/cmd prompt on your computer with adb set up:
Code:
#pull script to your current directory
adb pull /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME

#now edit the script then push it back and give correct permissions
adb push ./LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME /etc/init.d/
adb shell
su
chown 0:2000 /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME
chmod 750 /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME

Another option would be to use a terminal emulator on your phone:
Code:
su
cp /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME /sdcard/

#access the sdcard using a usb cable with your computer, edit the script, and disconnect from the computer

cp /sdcard/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME /etc/init.d/
chown 0:2000 /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME
chmod 750 /etc/init.d/LINK2SD_SCRIPT_NAME

If you get read-only errors while trying to do any of the steps, you'll need to remount the /system partition as read/write. From terminal emulator or in adb shell:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system

Bling_Diggity

Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
www.g-slatefans.com
Problem solved. Apparently something happened that caused Clockworkmod to create my partition in Read-Only mode. Couldn't figure out how to change that to R/W, so I did a complete wipe of everything (including SD card), changed over to Amon Ra, repartioned using it, reloaded everything back on to the SD card, re-flashed CM7/gapps, then booted and reinstalled L2SD. Works perfectly now. Not sure why CWM created my partition in read-only mode...but Amon Ra didn't have that issue...so I guess I'll be sticking with it from now on.

blkwhk

Nov 2, 2010
Spacecoast
The script's mount command might use /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 instead of /dev/block/vold/179:2 as well as -o options and/or -t type possibly being specified but it should be similar to the following:
Code:
mount /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
#Only guessing until I get more info but you could try one of these:
mount -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
mount -o rw -t TYPE /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
#TYPE will be the format of your 2nd partition: ext2 or ext3 or ext4 or vfat(if fat32)

i seem to be getting closer with this solution but in terminal emul i'm entering
#mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
and i'm getting failed device or resource busy

D

doktornotor

#mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
and i'm getting failed device or resource busy

vfat? Obviously wrong, isn't it?

Getting a read-only mount probably means that the filesystem is corrupted (which would exactly match my experience regarding the partitioning/formatting capabilities of CWM... has nothing but trouble with that one).

D

doktornotor

vfat because i used minitools to create a 2nd fat32 partition. the ext2,3,etc didn't work for me in link2sd

Well, FAT32 is extremely bad choice. They did not work for you pretty much for the reason stated above - you are using a broken tool to partition/format them. Forget about CWM, simply do it on PC or use AmonRA.

D

doktornotor

didn't use CWM, used minitools on PC

Never heard about minitools. Try something better next time. In case you wonder why FAT32 sucks then, first of all, it has no concept of permissions at all, so any process can write and delete the files there, and second, the filesystem gets corrupted all the time on unclean unmount.

birdgofly

May 3, 2011
Ohio
I was getting an error specific to the dalvik-cache (/data/sdext2/dalvik-cache) claiming that it was read only. I used root explorer to try and change permissions for the folder, but root explorer was unable to (on a side note I WAS able to change permissions for the /data/sdext2 folder). I ended up using root explorer to edit the link2sd script..

To edit the link2sd script, Root Explorer would work if you have it. If so, you can navigate to /system/etc/init.d/, click on the "mount rw" button at the top right, then long click on the link2sd script, choose "open in text editor" and make your changes.

turns out my script included the /dev/block/vold/179:2 line AS WELL AS the /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 line.. however both were showing "rw". I removed the /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 line and added mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache

works like a charm now =D

Thank you MongooseHelix and everyone else for your help!

Reactions: xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Axfha.ID

Mar 28, 2014
Solved ! Failure Link2SD package invalid

For friends who are having problems with the "Create Link" in Link2SD, here I will try to help resolve the problem, because some days I also mess around with "Failure Link2SD package invalid" on my phone. And here's how:

previously, ROM I use is miniROM with Stock Kernel, and Sandisk 8Gb MicroSD Class10

1. Create Partition as follows:
• FAT32 = 6.50 Gb *create as primary
• Ext2 = 600MB *create as primary
• Linux Swap = 200MB *create as primary
#Put MiniTool to create partitions, search on google for a tutorial

2. Link2SD *can use whatever version, I use the latest version V3.7.3
Download Link2SD only from Playstore, do not use version Link2SD Cracked / Mod, remember only from Playstore. If you are using a version of Crack / Mod then bound to fail in the Create Link in Link2SD, and it is based on my experience these days.
If you want Link2SD full version, try using Lucky Patcher. But I do not use it that way, because this is enough for me.

Sorry for my bad english, i used Google Translate to translate my language, (Indonesia to English) :silly:
#Screenshot on Attachment

SC20150206-094044.png SC20150206-094101.png SC20150206-094133.png SC20150206-094141.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, FAT32 is extremely bad choice. They did not work for you pretty much for the reason stated above - you are using a broken tool to partition/format them. Forget about CWM, simply do it on PC or use AmonRA.

didn't use CWM, used minitools on PC

FYI

mount -t vfat -o rw,remount /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2

worked for me
    I was getting an error specific to the dalvik-cache (/data/sdext2/dalvik-cache) claiming that it was read only. I used root explorer to try and change permissions for the folder, but root explorer was unable to (on a side note I WAS able to change permissions for the /data/sdext2 folder). I ended up using root explorer to edit the link2sd script..

To edit the link2sd script, Root Explorer would work if you have it. If so, you can navigate to /system/etc/init.d/, click on the "mount rw" button at the top right, then long click on the link2sd script, choose "open in text editor" and make your changes.

turns out my script included the /dev/block/vold/179:2 line AS WELL AS the /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 line.. however both were showing "rw". I removed the /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 line and added mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache

works like a charm now =D

Thank you MongooseHelix and everyone else for your help!