Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 (latest update: 12/1/2012)

Search This thread

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
300x300.png

Project Open Cannibal presents...
Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 for Asus Nexus 7

About Cannibal Open Touch:
Cannibal Open Touch is the next generation of custom recoveries. Jam-packed with cool and useful features, it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

Main Features:
1. Theme support
2. Touch screen button controls!
3. GooManager support!
4. Advanced Backup
5. Delete old backups!
6. Persistent settings
7. User-defined backup locations!
8. ADB Sideload
9. Touchscreen calibration

Why the name Cannibal Open Touch?
Because we can. The name also embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. It is no longer just a variant of ClockworkMod Recovery, it is it's own recovery by itself. Combining features from ClockworkMod 5, Team UtterChaos' Sony Xperia recovery, AmonRa 3.0.6, Xionia CWMA and a heaping helping of our own special enhancements it is truly revolutionary.

What to do when an error occurs:
DO NOT simply say "xxxx doesn't work" as that is highly unhelpful and will probably be ignored. Instead, post the recovery log! To grab a log when an error occurs, simply open a terminal (or command prompt if on Windows), "cd" to an easily accessible directory and execute:

Code:
adb pull /tmp/recovery.log

Paste the log as an attachment (don't paste the text inside, as it can be quite lengthy), or paste it on pastebin.com.

WARNING!
If you are upgrading from a previous version of Cannibal Open Touch you must delete the settings.ini file located in the cotrecovery folder on your sdcard!

The Cannibal Open Touch App for Android (separate from this recovery image, which is fully functional on all devices) is *NOT* functional on Nexus 7 devices running Android 4.2 or later. A fix is being investigated.

Flashing instructions:
1. Download the Cannibal Open Touch recovery image.
2. Reboot your device to bootloader mode (adb reboot bootloader)
3. Flash the image with fastboot (fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img)
4. Reboot to recovery mode
5. PROFIT!

Main Recovery Screenshots
Main Gallery (external link)

Available Themes:
Themes Gallery (external link)

Download Cannibal Open Touch v2.1:
Note: The below link is an external link to the Project Open Cannibal forums. We do not require registration to download any public release, but we'd sure appreciate it if you stopped by to say hello :)

WARNING!
This has only been tested on the non-3g models (grouper/nakasi); while it is hightly probable this will work on the nakasig we cannot confirm this at this time (at best I would expect assert errors with rom zips).

Cannibal Open Touch Download

XDA:DevDB Information
Cannibal Open Touch, a Tool/Utility for the Nexus 7

Contributors
Sblood86, drewwalton19216801, thenameisnigel

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.1
Stable Release Date: 2012-12-01

Created 2013-09-05
Last Updated 2013-09-05

Last edited:

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Thanks this looks awesome, I will definantly use it when it supports 4.2. I may give it a shot on 4.1.2 though to see what it is all about :)

Yeah Drew (the other dev on the project) wrote in that warning there; it's referring to the Android control application that he did. Allows you to easily change the persistent settings from within android instead of recovery (including but not limited to the user defined backup paths). The recovery does work in 4.2, the app does not.

To set user defined backups you could use the app in 4.1 or older than upgrade the settings will remain in place; or manually create a file in sdcard/cotrecovery/ with the title .userdefinedbackups and the sdcard folder you would like backups saved to: for example if you wanted to add rom manager compatibility you would want your backups to be in '/sdcard/clockworkmod/' so in the .file you would simply write 'clockworkmod' without the quotes.

Reactions: mlaws90

mlaws90

Yeah Drew (the other dev on the project) wrote in that warning there; it's referring to the Android control application that he did. Allows you to easily change the persistent settings from within android instead of recovery (including but not limited to the user defined backup paths). The recovery does work in 4.2, the app does not.

To set user defined backups you could use the app in 4.1 or older than upgrade the settings will remain in place; or manually create a file in sdcard/cotrecovery/ with the title .userdefinedbackups and the sdcard folder you would like backups saved to: for example if you wanted to add rom manager compatibility you would want your backups to be in '/sdcard/clockworkmod/' so in the .file you would simply write 'clockworkmod' without the quotes.

Oh see, that is not a big deal at all. I would be willing to give that a shot, didn't even know there was an app :p Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm sure it will help others as well.

lightninbug

Sep 17, 2009
OK just to clarify, this does work 100% with 4.2.1 ROMs? And where can i find some themes for it.....looks verrrrrrry promising :)

Edit...and I'm not concerned about backups as i never use them.... FULL wipe every time for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
OK just to clarify, this does work 100% with 4.2.1 ROMs? And where can i find some themes for it.....looks verrrrrrry promising :)

Edit...and I'm not concerned about backups as i never use them.... FULL wipe every time for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Yes the recovery works w/ 4.2 roms the only issue is the app that Drew did not being able to communicate with the sdcard properly in 4.2 (this is not related to the recovery itself).

Themes we could use more of; there is an outline of them on our forums and on github (nexus 7 is of course the jb-800x1200 branch)

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
Are there any sources? I kind of want to build this for my spectrum or do you not have plans for open source

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Are there any sources? I kind of want to build this for my spectrum or do you not have plans for open source

I apologize; I ripped the thread layout off from Drew and didn't realize the source was not linked. I'll get it linked in the OP at a later time but for now suffice it to say yes we have open sourced everything; we have full intention of open sourcing all future related code as well (hence the 'Open' part of the name ;) ):

Either sync a CM10 tree or use the jellybean branch in Drew's hacked up manifest (this will only build recovery).

Whichever way you sync your repo you will need to replace the recovery folder (Drew's manifest is pulling the old repo)

you will need the jellybean branch from the recovery itself:
android_bootable_recovery

if you used Drew's manifest you should already have the following if not you will want to pull these as well:
the jellybean branch from here
android_bootable_recovery_gui

and the master from here
android_bootable_recovery_res

Lastly; a slightly modified grouper device repo (pretty sure this one is also for recovery only lol)

evilgenx

Aug 6, 2012
Pretty Awesome. Installed just fine on my Nexus7 WiFi. Gonna run this for a while and see how she goes, tnx!

xfrancis14

Sep 6, 2012
Quick question, is there a way to flash this without a computer? As u currently don't have one and could I use my twrp backup if anything are to happen or would I need to make a new one with this recovery?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 29, 2010
Denver
Quick question, is there a way to flash this without a computer? As u currently don't have one and could I use my twrp backup if anything are to happen or would I need to make a new one with this recovery?

You need to use fastboot, which requires use of a computer (for now). TWRP backups are not compatible so yes you would need to make a new backup.

xfrancis14

Sep 6, 2012
Okay well I don't currently have a computer so I guess ill stick with twrp for now and okay

xfrancis14

Sep 6, 2012
Is it possible for you to make an app which would flash the recovery? If so that would he amazing as I really want to try this recovery

Reactions: CreepyE

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Is it possible for you to make an app which would flash the recovery? If so that would he amazing as I really want to try this recovery

Well... If the nexus 7 supports flash_image or dd (which I have no idea if it does, you'll have to find out or ask Drew) than yes it's possible; than again you could simply do it from a terminal emulator in that case. Fastboot is the safest way in particularly without having the device myself to play with.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
finally got a chance to test her out, so far so good!
not the absolute best advance since sliced bread but i do love seeing an alternative!
as of now i give it a 7 out of ten being no problems i can find, everything seems to work but dont feel as if im gaining much over my other recovery options... that said i felt the same way at first with 4ext recovery and now i absolutely love it, so ill let you know if this moves to 10 out of 10 an time soon
thanks again for giving me options!

Reactions: Sblood86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    300x300.png

Project Open Cannibal presents...
    Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 for Asus Nexus 7

About Cannibal Open Touch:
    Cannibal Open Touch is the next generation of custom recoveries. Jam-packed with cool and useful features, it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

Main Features:
    1. Theme support
    2. Touch screen button controls!
    3. GooManager support!
    4. Advanced Backup
    5. Delete old backups!
    6. Persistent settings
    7. User-defined backup locations!
    8. ADB Sideload
    9. Touchscreen calibration

Why the name Cannibal Open Touch?
    Because we can. The name also embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. It is no longer just a variant of ClockworkMod Recovery, it is it's own recovery by itself. Combining features from ClockworkMod 5, Team UtterChaos' Sony Xperia recovery, AmonRa 3.0.6, Xionia CWMA and a heaping helping of our own special enhancements it is truly revolutionary.

What to do when an error occurs:
    DO NOT simply say "xxxx doesn't work" as that is highly unhelpful and will probably be ignored. Instead, post the recovery log! To grab a log when an error occurs, simply open a terminal (or command prompt if on Windows), "cd" to an easily accessible directory and execute:

Code:
    adb pull /tmp/recovery.log

Paste the log as an attachment (don't paste the text inside, as it can be quite lengthy), or paste it on pastebin.com.

WARNING!
    If you are upgrading from a previous version of Cannibal Open Touch you must delete the settings.ini file located in the cotrecovery folder on your sdcard!

The Cannibal Open Touch App for Android (separate from this recovery image, which is fully functional on all devices) is *NOT* functional on Nexus 7 devices running Android 4.2 or later. A fix is being investigated.

Flashing instructions:
    1. Download the Cannibal Open Touch recovery image.
    2. Reboot your device to bootloader mode (adb reboot bootloader)
    3. Flash the image with fastboot (fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img)
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. PROFIT!

Main Recovery Screenshots
    Main Gallery (external link)

Available Themes:
    Themes Gallery (external link)

Download Cannibal Open Touch v2.1:
    Note: The below link is an external link to the Project Open Cannibal forums. We do not require registration to download any public release, but we'd sure appreciate it if you stopped by to say hello :)

WARNING!
    This has only been tested on the non-3g models (grouper/nakasi); while it is hightly probable this will work on the nakasig we cannot confirm this at this time (at best I would expect assert errors with rom zips).

Cannibal Open Touch Download

XDA:DevDB Information
    Cannibal Open Touch, a Tool/Utility for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    Sblood86, drewwalton19216801, thenameisnigel

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.1
    Stable Release Date: 2012-12-01

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2013-09-05
    Thanks this looks awesome, I will definantly use it when it supports 4.2. I may give it a shot on 4.1.2 though to see what it is all about :)

finally got a chance to test her out, so far so good!
    not the absolute best advance since sliced bread but i do love seeing an alternative!
    as of now i give it a 7 out of ten being no problems i can find, everything seems to work but dont feel as if im gaining much over my other recovery options... that said i felt the same way at first with 4ext recovery and now i absolutely love it, so ill let you know if this moves to 10 out of 10 an time soon
    thanks again for giving me options!
    Looks nice and promising, but aren't there compatibility issues with flashing ROMs or Kernels? Is it as stable as TWRP, CWM or EXT4?

I don't know of any compatibility issues. Stability wise the original codebase is CWM; we've just added open source touch controls and rewrote the interface and a bit of the handling: apart from hacking in the theme engine there were/are some aspects of the CWM code that are less then ideal (redundancies, calls to closed source touch and similar); the redundancies in particular are expected being that (at least most of) CWM is open source it's not out of the ordinary for it to have multiple people adding stuff in, in some cases they may not know there's a call already existing for something they want so they rewrite said call. In short yes it's stable.