How to tell if apps are on sd card

Search This thread

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
i rooted and went to modaco. also in the recovery mode i put create fat32 ext2 and swap particion. but i dont think my apps are on my sd card. i download app2sd and used it and it doesnt confirm that it did anything. i check im internal memory on phone and it is always 144mb or 145mb even after insalling around 20 apps. but when i unmount my sd card all apps still work.

ajones7279

Nov 6, 2007
Somewhere
www.twitter.com
If you're on Modaco and you created the partition, it works. Don't worry about it. It's automated and you don't have to download Apps2sd from the market because it's already included in the rom. If it's ALWAYS at 145 after installing 20 apps, that means it isn't taking away from the internal memory and it's working...And you'd have to reboot after removing the sd card for it to change. I don't think it's a good idea though.

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
ok they are on my sd card, i removed card and it locked up. will never do that again. had to pull battery and then it wouldnt get past sprint screen. had to hold end call and answer call and reset device. then it lost all my apps. had to re download and set up all my shortcuts. uggg

diesel556

Sep 28, 2009
i rooted and went to modaco. also in the recovery mode i put create fat32 ext2 and swap particion. but i dont think my apps are on my sd card. i download app2sd and used it and it doesnt confirm that it did anything. i check im internal memory on phone and it is always 144mb or 145mb even after insalling around 20 apps. but when i unmount my sd card all apps still work.

Apps installed to the SD card reside in /system/sd/app and /system/sd/app-private. You may browse those directories to see which applications have been migrated. As ajones7279 said, you don't need to download AppsToSD if you are using the Modaco rom.

If you would like to move an application from the sd card back to internal memory, the steps to do so are in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=512743.

BrianDigital

wait I think it is working, I installed acouple apps then quickly check my internal memory it goes down, then I went in and did a look for cmd

cd /system/sd/app
ls

I it showed all the apps I installed, after that I checked my internal memory it went back up so that is normal?

rockcrawler

Nov 7, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
wait I think it is working, I installed acouple apps then quickly check my internal memory it goes down, then I went in and did a look for cmd

cd /system/sd/app
ls

I it showed all the apps I installed, after that I checked my internal memory it went back up so that is normal?

Mine show there as well, but under setting > sd card and phone storage and check the available space under internal phone storage, it just keeps dropping. I am down to 117mb. all the way from around 140 before I installed any apps. I dont think that the apps2sd integration is working properly.

D

Deleted member 884763

Mine show there as well, but under setting > sd card and phone storage and check the available space under internal phone storage, it just keeps dropping. I am down to 117mb. all the way from around 140 before I installed any apps. I dont think that the apps2sd integration is working properly.

Same here. But I just hard reset and my apps came back and I was at 140. But now when I add more apps it still goes down. Now I'm at 135.

nelson8403

Dec 13, 2006
Same here. But I just hard reset and my apps came back and I was at 140. But now when I add more apps it still goes down. Now I'm at 135.

Just because the apps are installed to the SD card doesn't mean they don't store things on the phone.. cache is stored on the phones, theres a /data/data folder on the phone that the apps populate as well, it just doesn't take AS MUCH space on your phone as a non appstosd

also to make sure your apps are working go into your adb shell, type in

Code:
cd /data/app
pwd

cd /data/app-private
pwd

What this will do is go to your /data/app folder and because with appstosd that is a symbolic link to /system/sd/app the PWD (present working directory) will display /system/sd/app, if PWD shows /data/app you are not running appstosd

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
Apps installed to the SD card reside in /system/sd/app and /system/sd/app-private. You may browse those directories to see which applications have been migrated. As ajones7279 said, you don't need to download AppsToSD if you are using the Modaco rom.

If you would like to move an application from the sd card back to internal memory, the steps to do so are in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=512743.

Can you be a little more specific about where in the thread? It's a long one and I didn't see anything on the first page.

ajones7279

Nov 6, 2007
Somewhere
www.twitter.com
Great post Nelson.

screenshot20091110at111.png

06ms6

Nov 14, 2008
Just because the apps are installed to the SD card doesn't mean they don't store things on the phone.. cache is stored on the phones, theres a /data/data folder on the phone that the apps populate as well, it just doesn't take AS MUCH space on your phone as a non appstosd

also to make sure your apps are working go into your adb shell, type in

Code:
cd /data/app
pwd

cd /data/app-private
pwd

What this will do is go to your /data/app folder and because with appstosd that is a symbolic link to /system/sd/app the PWD (present working directory) will display /system/sd/app, if PWD shows /data/app you are not running appstosd

Just tested this and I am not running apps2sd :( I probably need to try to format my SD card again, I made did the dual partition from the recovery menu, but this was after I flashed MoDaCo's ROM...that's probably why!

Should I partition, then reflash the ROM?

diesel556

Sep 28, 2009
Can you be a little more specific about where in the thread? It's a long one and I didn't see anything on the first page.

Yep. The answer is in the first post :). I'm not sure what directory to us in place of "/system/intmem/app", maybe "/data/app"?

Code:
su
cp /system/sd/app/[the app you want to move] /system/intmem/app/
rm /system/sd/app/[the app you want to move]
(taken from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=512743)

esoteric1311

Nov 8, 2009

Thanks a ton. Wasn't sure if mine was working properly, but low and behold my out put is as you said. Apps2SD is working for me.

STILLSPRINTIN

Sep 7, 2007

I have this rom and rooted the phone, If i create a fat32 ext2 and swap partition in recovery mode, will everything on my sd card get erased?