Try doing a hard reset or flashing another ROM

Good luck and don´t forget to vote!

I have a freind with the same problem.

I try to :

Update the ROM's, try several
Update the Radio Rom, try 1.09 and 1.18
Hard Reset several times
Soft reset several Times
Use alternative software, to turn on the WIFI.

And always no sucess.

What I have read is that in Athena PDA, some times during the process of Unlocking or upgrade, the device can loose the MAC ADDRES. I think is because of CID lock....

They develop an utility to set a new mac address , but I don't think it works on Universal.

I try to find a way to see the mac adresss of WLAN Card, but all the tools (ex: vxipconfig) can only see the mac addres if the wifi is turned on .

Also read something about the possibility to create a script vjvolubilis to turn on the wifi and run it before conmanager... Din't try....

paulorosa

Jan 14, 2006
From Athena forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=387454

WIFI doesnt start

Same here, I'm also unable to start wifi in the comm manager.

----

Some people here where able to find mac address in Prophet device:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=354848

"
Off course it will not work, different doc and different addresses
It is your cid block at n1, not the SPL, please use pdocread.exe like this
Pdocread.exe -n 0 0 0xaf0000 spl.nb
pdocread -n 1 0 0x40000 cidblock.bin
pdocread -n 1 0x40000 0x4000 -b 0x4000 gsmdata.bin
compress the files using 7-zip ultra compression and send them to my mail
I'll try to help

or the MAC adress can be found @ offset 3e5c in gsmdata.bin

"

Can we try to find where the mac address is ,and then use this info to write new mac on broken devices ?

Anybody help ?

Egika

Nov 27, 2008
I seem to have the same problem with my Benq-Siemens P51.
WiFi just won't turn on and if it accidentally does, it will never find an open network and has the MAC 00-00-00-00-00-00

Any hints or solutions are welcome!

Cheers,
Egika

orb3000

Retired Senior Moderator
XDA App Taskforce
I seem to have the same problem with my Benq-Siemens P51.
WiFi just won't turn on and if it accidentally does, it will never find an open network and has the MAC 00-00-00-00-00-00

Any hints or solutions are welcome!

Cheers,
Egika

Welcome to the forum

perhaps you havent noticed but this is an HTC DEVICES ONLY FORUM and solving problems with Universal does means that will be the same for your device...

Anyway good luck,

Dealergoods

Dec 5, 2007
i seem to be having the same problem with [Tomal v8.71] WM6.1 New Build: 21028.1.6.1 on my uni

i can see networks fine but when i try and connect it just keep asking me for the key again over and over eney iders eney one?

Edit: would updating my rom to "[UPDATED: Tomal v8.81] WM6.1 - Hybrid Build: 21042.1.6.0" help this problem has eney one els got there wifi working on there uni with this rom ? eney help would he much appreciated :)

Thank you Dealer

Last edited:

Dealergoods

Dec 5, 2007
hmm thank you for the info, :) after a bit more tweaking i got it working nice :D

Thanks Dealer

Last edited:

pwel

Dec 26, 2006
suddenly Wifi works again!

Had a similar issue with my Diamond. Posted this a week or so ago:

I had the same Wifi will not turn on issue after I had several ROMs tried.
I gave up on an easy solution and I decided to install the latest (dutch) official rom. After that, I also changed the SSPL back to the original (1.35) version. Still WiFi wouldn't turn on. I started to look for my bill/warranty papers and then today, I dropped the phone, battery fell out, so the phone had another soft reset. When connecting to the PC, I noticed something (strange?): the font of the page on which you have to choose between activesync/dsikdrive/shared internet had changed wrt after the SSPL change. It was again to what it used to be when using the original ROMS. For me, this meant that something in the phone had changed, so I tried to switch on WiFi one more time. And guess what: it worked again! I don't understand why (maybe the drop itself?). I will keep on using WiFI and see if it remains stable and post it here.

lyndel4

May 15, 2008
So did anyone find a fix for this problem as yet? I have a HTC Prophet WIFI still wont turn on :(

lyndel4

May 15, 2008
I'm also having the same problem. I've tested three different official ROMs (two of qtek and one of xda) but still can't turn on wifi.

Wiki says you can fix the problem by disassembling the phone:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=UniversalWiFioff

Anyone has tried it? I don't know what to do...

Hey thanks alot for this I also agreed thats a hardware problem but am not technition so am afraid to open my phone myself to try and fix this if anyone has time r any videos showing were the wifi antena is located becouse I tryed to look for it but no luck just posting a video or picture of it will be greatly appreciated and again thanks for the wiki it looks like a hardware proublem :( but some people fixed it it was software for some and hardware but if it dont work no mater how much rom we flashed becosue I even tryed the WM5 and if that dont work then it must be a hardware problem.

PS when you try to turn on wifi does your PDA gets warm like you can feel it warming up?

I removed the battry cover like the wiki said and it seems to work I sow the wifi icon on but left now am able to go to the wifi settings but still it wont trun on al see what I can do but this is a big improvment so far :)

Last edited:

srabd

Oct 8, 2009
Hey thanks alot for this I also agreed thats a hardware problem but am not technition so am afraid to open my phone myself to try and fix this if anyone has time r any videos showing were the wifi antena is located becouse I tryed to look for it but no luck just posting a video or picture of it will be greatly appreciated
Also in the wiki you can find the "HTC Universal Service Manual" which have a very complete guide for disassembling the universal (it starts at page 12). You can see a photo of the wifi antenna location at page 18.
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC Universal Service Manual

PS when you try to turn on wifi does your PDA gets warm like you can feel it warming up?
Maybe a few...

I removed the battry cover like the wiki said and it seems to work I sow the wifi icon on but left now am able to go to the wifi settings but still it wont trun on al see what I can do but this is a big improvment so far :)
Sometimes after a soft reset Windows Mobile says my wifi is turned on, but I can't find any access points, and my MAC address is different time to time... Then I turn off wifi and I can't turn it on again...

lyndel4

May 15, 2008
Also in the wiki you can find the "HTC Universal Service Manual" which have a very complete guide for disassembling the universal (it starts at page 12). You can see a photo of the wifi antenna location at page 18.
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC Universal Service Manual

Maybe a few...

Sometimes after a soft reset Windows Mobile says my wifi is turned on, but I can't find any access points, and my MAC address is different time to time... Then I turn off wifi and I can't turn it on again...

Thats different to what I have my WIFI wont turn on no matter what I do even after a softreset I dont understand it I removed the battery cover like it said in the wiki and it worked for a secound but thats it it wont anymore and I even read the service manural they show the picture of the antena on my Device but not the WIFI antena plus not even the service manurals have solutions for the WIFI problem if you got any luck with your let me know ok :)

lyndel4

May 15, 2008

dorimanx

Feb 20, 2010
TERA Prime.
www.dorimanx.com
Wifi wont start Solution!

Hi,
I have found a way to fix this!
if your Wifi is not damaged (Broken hardware) then this solution will help you to fix the starting problem...

Works for HTC HD
but may work for all, its a simple action.

do this:
go to HKLM\ControlPanel\wifi\UIDelayAfterBoot=220

if you dont have this DWORD then create it!

It's will start the WIFI after 220 seconds on boot!

If your full boot takes less then 2 minutes, then you can change to 150

This fixed my problem!!!

Please reply if it solved your problem.

Good luck

boke

Nov 26, 2006
It works for me too, i open the device lice in service manual and now it works!
Thaks!