[Q] how to root sony xperia z?

Search This thread

mackenzie121

Jan 15, 2009
hi,

im looking into rooting my friends sony xperia z. is it the same sort of way as the htc one? do i have to unlock the boot loader first and put a recovery on it?

can someone send me in the right direction for a tutorial please?

mackenzie121

Jan 15, 2009
I have but couldnt really find what I was looking for. I'm sure someone has done it before and can point me in the right direction

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Find out what firmware version they're running then come back.
If you provide no information, then you cannot expect any help other than being told to search. ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

androidfreak70

Feb 12, 2014
here!
Dude... There is TON of threads about rooting Z in XDA and millions of sites puting how to ROOT it so JUST SEARCH IN XDA OR GOOGLE!!!!
Put in XDA search bar ROOT C6602/C6603 and your android version

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
It isn't a matter of not wanting to help. He provided no useful information. The method of rooting varies by device and firmware version, so if he didn't provide that, then nobody can provide the correct information.

I don't recommend using Kingo. It collects a large amount of information on your device including hardware IDs and serials and sends them to a server in China, supposedly in order to download drivers. It does facilitate that, but just the model number could achieve the same. They even used to collect your IMEI until they were caught and stopped. Not exactly trustworthy behaviour.

If you're running 4.2.2 or older, use Root many Android by trusted XDA dev Bin4ry to root. It doesn't collect any info or even connect to the internet.

mackenzie121

Jan 15, 2009
ok sorry for the non information. i have just got hold of the information

model c6603
android verison 4.4.2
bootloader unlocked allowed: no.

mackenzie121

Jan 15, 2009
Thanks. So how do I downgrade, root, recovery etc. Someone point me in the right direction please

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Thanks. So how do I downgrade, root, recovery etc. Someone point me in the right direction please

Here is a post I made in another thread regarding downgrading/rooting.

This may be helpful as well - How to flash stock roms with Flashtool
The images in that tutorial are broken, but the text explanation should help.

It is also possible to root then upgrade OTA and keep root, but it requires SuperSU Pro. If that's the route you want to take, then after downgrading, instead of flashing a recovery-

Root with Root many Android
Enable OTA survival mode in SuperSu Pro
Update via OTA

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts