Samsung throwing the towel on knox

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
According to the article it appears samsung is throwing the towel on Knox. It does make sense given Google's direction and lack of adoption.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan...ixs-knox-the-android-security-saga-continues/

Getting tech news from Fortune is like getting sports news from Better Homes & Gardens. Samsung and Google's cross-licensing deal probably plays in to the following. Just like the death of Samsung Hub and the neutering of M-UX.

Pichai (Google's Head of Android Development) specifically noted that the future Android 5.0's security layer involves Samsung's "contribution" of Knox, a feature that company unveiled last spring as part of its "SAFE" (Samsung for Enterprise) initiative.

Knox principally erects a "container" or sandbox around corporate apps and data to prevent any unauthorized mingling with a users' private, unsecured email, apps and other personal data.​
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...erprise-with-android-l-featuring-samsung-knox

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Getting tech news from Fortune is like getting sports news from Better Homes & Gardens. Samsung and Google's cross-licensing deal probably plays in to the following. Just like the death of Samsung Hub and the neutering of M-UX.

Pichai (Google's Head of Android Development) specifically noted that the future Android 5.0's security layer involves Samsung's "contribution" of Knox, a feature that company unveiled last spring as part of its "SAFE" (Samsung for Enterprise) initiative.

Knox principally erects a "container" or sandbox around corporate apps and data to prevent any unauthorized mingling with a users' private, unsecured email, apps and other personal data.​
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...erprise-with-android-l-featuring-samsung-knox

Based on the link you provided, it looks like the KNOX-like security feature will come baked in Android OS? That sucks if it is true.. harder for us to root without tripping something else that warrants (no pun intended) manufacturer to deny warranty work.

valexi

Sep 19, 2010
Kuopio
This will be good, if Google makes some "rules" for this security feature.

For example if KNOX or "Googlebit" is triggered it could be reset if you are back to locked bootloader and doing a factory reset. That way you can tell that your device is secure again.

shayind4

Mar 24, 2008
London
This will be good, if Google makes some "rules" for this security feature.

For example if KNOX or "Googlebit" is triggered it could be reset if you are back to locked bootloader and doing a factory reset. That way you can tell that your device is secure again.

I think you are right. Having the Knox container and security will probably be useful in the future given the rate and sophistication of hacking nowadays.

bbs2web

Mar 7, 2014
Johannesburg
Knox reset

I feel I should be able to restore stock firmware to subsequently reset Knox to then do a hardware fault warranty claim. Whilst I've taken the risk triggering Knox when installing Cyanogenmod, the tablet had usability problems on stock, which is why I did this in the first place...

ie: On Cyanogenmod my WiFi is stable, video plays smoothly, no weird jitter in Google Chrome address bar and I have an Exchange email client (KitKat) which doesn't hide some of my folders.