[APP] Call recorder (ROOT access needed) [Nov 24 update]

Search This thread

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
I wrote this program because I was unable to find a good app capable of recording the other side of the call properly.

Except for AirVoice, all such apps record the speaker rather than the line, and you barely hear the other side in the recordings.

The guy who wrote AirVoice knew the trick but seemed to be very annoyed by the negative feedback from Android Market, where the users of various devices (with the list of supported ones clearly stated!) tried to install that program. Because it wasn't open source, I had to disassemble it in order to write what I wanted exactly.

So the app uses an esoteric HTC driver, and NEEDS THE ROOT ACCESS just to open the device. If you do "adb shell chmod 666 '/dev/voc*' ", it'll never ask you for root access (but you have to be ROOT to execute that command).

It writes the calls in either WAV (recommended) or MP3 format (not tested much; needs some time to encode the file after the call, but the size is about 4 times smaller), stereo (left ear is your voice, right is that of the other party), to "/sdcard/voix" directory.

The kernel driver itself is kinda buggy. Actually, the auto-answer mode is non-functional for kendon's & ninpo's kernels (others not tested). Do NOT select it in Settings unless you've got such ROM and particularly need to reboot your phone on each incoming call :). It'd be nice if somebody try to fix that.

If you select "Ask each time" for any incoming calls, be sure to wait half a mo until the confirmation dialog appears. The "Foreground service" (default) setting is also recommended because Android may otherwise kill it if memory is low.

Any comments are welcome. I'm not sure that I'll ever add something to this program because I'm too lazy for that, but any bugs will reasonably be fixed. The code is open source, PM me if you're a programmer and have any ideas how to improve it.

=======================
NOV 24 UPDATE

Numerous improvements/corrections/bugfixes (I'm not removing the previous version as this one haven't been much tested).

Enjoy!

Attachments

• rVoix.apk
    167 KB · Views: 15,090
  • rVoix_11_24_2010.apk
    264 KB · Views: 23,314
Last edited:

Hi-Fi

Jun 25, 2008
Sham Tseng
I wrote this program because I was unable to find a good app capable of recording the other side of the call properly.

Except for AirVoice, all such apps record the speaker rather than the line, and you barely hear the other side in the recordings.

The guy who wrote AirVoice knew the trick but seemed to be very annoyed by the negative feedback from Android Market, where the users of various devices (with the list of supported ones clearly stated!) tried to install that program. Because it wasn't open source, I had to disassemble it in order to write what I wanted exactly.

So the app uses an esoteric HTC driver, and NEEDS THE ROOT ACCESS just to open the device. If you do "adb shell chmod 666 '/dev/voc*' ", it'll never ask you for root access (but you have to be ROOT to execute that command).

It writes the calls in either WAV (recommended) or MP3 format (not tested much; needs some time to encode the file after the call, but the size is about 4 times smaller), stereo (left ear is your voice, right is that of the other party), to "/sdcard/voix" directory.

The kernel driver itself is kinda buggy. Actually, the auto-answer mode is non-functional for kendon's & ninpo's kernels (others not tested). Do NOT select it in Settings unless you've got such ROM and particularly need to reboot your phone on each incoming call :). It'd be nice if somebody try to fix that.

If you select "Ask each time" for any incoming calls, be sure to wait half a mo until the confirmation dialog appears. The "Foreground service" (default) setting is also recommended because Android may otherwise kill it if memory is low.

Any comments are welcome. I'm not sure that I'll ever add something to this program because I'm too lazy for that, but any bugs will reasonably be fixed. The code is open source, PM me if you're a programmer and have any ideas how to improve it.

thanks, good job

but recorded sound a lit low, any chance to make it loud

avs333

Apr 12, 2005

Attachments

• rVoix.apk
    167.6 KB · Views: 3,417

jokuvuan

Jul 25, 2010
Interesting software. Could you possibly add a new feature: The app saves all calls, but deletes them, if you don't move them to another folder/to your PC.

This because I could record all of my calls, without the risk of making a huge 1Gt folder to fill up my memory. So if the user could choose how many recent calls (2,5,10) the app saves before deleting them I'd be great!

C

cloakt

cool app. anyone know if it would be possible to play an audio file directly to the caller? would come in handy rickrolling damn telemarketers :D

MercuryTangent

Aug 5, 2010
Awesome idea, I've been looking for exactly this sort of software.

I'm having a bug I hope someone can help me with. When I start the program I get a prompt that says "Device does not exist, or its permissions cannot be changed." When I click "OK" it takes me to the screen to uninstall the program.

I'm running an Evo, fully rooted, NAND unlocked, running Virus Airbourne ROM and King #11 kernel.

I never get the prompt from the SuperUser app to give the app root access.

I tried the adb command but it gave me the error:
Unable to chmod dev/voc*: No such file or directory

Last edited:

Nitrogenus

Sep 2, 2010
Awesome idea, I've been looking for exactly this sort of software.

I'm having a bug I hope someone can help me with. When I start the program I get a prompt that says "Device does not exist, or its permissions cannot be changed." When I click "OK" it takes me to the screen to uninstall the program.

I'm running an Evo, fully rooted, NAND unlocked, running Virus Airbourne ROM and King #11 kernel.

I never get the prompt from the SuperUser app to give the app root access.

I tried the adb command but it gave me the error:
Unable to chmod dev/voc*: No such file or directory

I experience the same problems on my rooted DINC. ROM and kernel are in sig.

raynerape

Aug 12, 2009
Sofia
This is amazing app. The only thing I would beg the author to consider a white status bar icon for normal running service as colored icons there usually break the aestetics of Android UI. The icon can change or become colored while recording, but when only running in the background it should remain white.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

=======================
    NOV 24 UPDATE

Numerous improvements/corrections/bugfixes (I'm not removing the previous version as this one haven't been much tested).

Enjoy!

Hi, app is open source, but where i can find source code of driver?

Thank you!

vicvondoom.

The driver is a part of Linux kernel. If you have a Hero (or some other HTC device), see http://developer.htc.com.

As for rVoix, I've started a project at http://code.google.com/p/rvoix yesterday.
    There is also a branch started by seo who succeeded in rVoix integration with Phone.apk/Settings.apk in his Espresso ROM for Magic.
    Developers are welcome!
    Greate works.Thank you .I will try it.Haha
    Thanks.
    Looks more promising than that of the regular Desire or Desire HD.
    At least we have a certain rs30100002:00000000 here (the "1" might as well be a flag indicating a newer implementation).
    OK, I'll make a kernel when I have time, and PM it to you. Let's check if this remote server is backward compatible, or explorable otherwise.
    Galaxy S I9000 report:"device does not exist or its permissions cannot be changed"