ROMs for Global/GSM roaming

Search This thread

mattberry1979

Jan 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a d2vzw running Carbon ROM Kitkat. I spent the weekend back in the UK and enabled global mode, which connected to Vodafone's GSM/HSDPA network using the original Verizon SIM. So I had phone and SMS service - no problems at all.

However, I couldn't get a data connection. It was connected to the HSDPA network (enhanced 3G). Under Settings-->More...-->Mobile networks there is the option ("Access Point Names") to choose an APN. However, none showed up. I tried to add an APN manually, but as soon as I set Vodafone's MCC and MNC, it refused to save the APN info.

Oddly enough, the correct APN settings are all on the phone in Carbon ROMs "apns-conf.xml" file, they're just not showing up.

I tried everything to remedy this, but no luck.

So, here are two questions to harvest your collective wisdom:

First, is there a solution to this? I like Carbon ROM, but I have to have global data access for my work. If I can get my d2vzw running Carbon connected to international GSM networks and APN for internet, then I'd really like to.

Second, does anyone know of a KitKat ROM that DOES do this properly on the d2vzw?

Thank you so much,

M

Jacquestrapp

Apr 27, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't checked in on AOSP ROMs in a while, but last time I did, none of them could do this, you need to run a Touchwiz-based ROM. AOSP ROMs like Carbon use a reverse-engineered radio interface which is not quite as good as the Samsung one which is included with TW ROMs, and this is one problem with it.

The bottom line is that if you want all the hardware features of your phone to work, you have to use a TW-based ROM, because Samsung hasn't opened up the hardware.

Reactions: greks224

mattberry1979

Jan 22, 2012
I haven't checked in on AOSP ROMs in a while, but last time I did, none of them could do this, you need to run a Touchwiz-based ROM. AOSP ROMs like Carbon use a reverse-engineered radio interface which is not quite as good as the Samsung one which is included with TW ROMs, and this is one problem with it.

The bottom line is that if you want all the hardware features of your phone to work, you have to use a TW-based ROM, because Samsung hasn't opened up the hardware.

Thanks, Jacquestrapp. That's helpful. Perhaps I will flash a TW-based ROM and then keep it as a nandroid backup for when I go travelling.

greks224

Feb 27, 2014
I have been using my Verizon S3 in the Philippines as an international phone for months with excellent service. I am able to connect to the GSM network and transmit data at H+ speeds. I am on CM 10.1.3 official on Baseband MF1 and have been able to successfully switch to GSM using the PhoneInfo app. To assign proper APNs, I use the HiAPN app. Be very careful with Phone info: I once broke my connectivity messing with the settings too much ("Select radio band") and had to revert to Twiz and turn on the GSM bands using the "secret menu" to turn those back on. If you have a Twiz backup, try dialing *#2263# to choose the bands your phone has access to (seems impossible on other ROMs) if you keep having problems.

The thread here (see post 106) is enormously helpful.

The info about Twiz and reverse engineering is useful -- I haven't been able to get reliable service beyond CM 10.1.3 (very low signal, inability to send SMS, but somehow can receive SMS and voice calls), so I have been sticking to 10.1.3, unfortunately. I want to upgrade to 4.4, but haven't been able to do it without breaking GSM functionality. Has anyone gotten GSM and data to work on a 4.4 ROM?

huakiennb

Apr 6, 2011
I have been using my Verizon S3 in the Philippines as an international phone for months with excellent service. I am able to connect to the GSM network and transmit data at H+ speeds. I am on CM 10.1.3 official on Baseband MF1 and have been able to successfully switch to GSM using the PhoneInfo app. To assign proper APNs, I use the HiAPN app. Be very careful with Phone info: I once broke my connectivity messing with the settings too much ("Select radio band") and had to revert to Twiz and turn on the GSM bands using the "secret menu" to turn those back on. If you have a Twiz backup, try dialing *#2263# to choose the bands your phone has access to (seems impossible on other ROMs) if you keep having problems.

The thread here (see post 106) is enormously helpful.

The info about Twiz and reverse engineering is useful -- I haven't been able to get reliable service beyond CM 10.1.3 (very low signal, inability to send SMS, but somehow can receive SMS and voice calls), so I have been sticking to 10.1.3, unfortunately. I want to upgrade to 4.4, but haven't been able to do it without breaking GSM functionality. Has anyone gotten GSM and data to work on a 4.4 ROM?
So do i. I can't connect to data. I'm come from Vietnam :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.