Nexus 4 confirmed working on prepaid AT&T tablet dataconnect plan

Search This thread

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
So I have confirmed that AT&T's tablet dataconnect plans work on the nexus 4. This is awesome if you just want data without having to pay extra for phone service. Right now I'm using the 3GB $30 a month prepaid Dataconnect plan. All I did was enter the IMEI for a tablet, T-Mobile Springboard is what I used, and your Sim card #. From there you just simply change your APN and your good to go. I wasn't sure if this was possible or not, but now I have confirmed that it is!

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

aragorn7

Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know.

If I'm not mistaken, AT&Ts non-LTE 4G is slower than T-Mobiles 4G. Can you also confirm this to be true?

jarjar124

Apr 28, 2012
Brooklyn
Wait $30 a month? For 3gb? That's the same amount you pay with t mobile and you get unlimited text and 100 minutes of talk with 5gb of 4g! Doesn't seem like you're paying less and you get less from it

Surtr52

May 4, 2012
Wait $30 a month? For 3gb? That's the same amount you pay with t mobile and you get unlimited text and 100 minutes of talk with 5gb of 4g! Doesn't seem like you're paying less and you get less from it

T-Mobile has the least market penetration of any major carrier. Most of us cannot use it.

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know.

If I'm not mistaken, AT&Ts non-LTE 4G is slower than T-Mobiles 4G. Can you also confirm this to be true?

AT&T has HSPA+21 with theoretic speeds up to 21 mbps
T-Mobile has DC-HSPA+42 with theoretic speeds up to 42 mbps

Generally TMOs 4G (HSPA+) is faster, but it all depends on coverage

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

Reactions: Akoolive

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
AT&T's "4G" is slower than T-Mobile's, but where I live the only data service T-Mobile provides is EDGE or just plain 2G, hence why I would rather have AT&T. Where I am in Maine right now I get about 80kbps download and about 60kbps upload on T-Mobile. Using the prepaid tablet plan on AT&T in the same location I got 2-3Mbps download and about 800kbps upload. Determining which carrier's data speeds are faster greatly varies depending on your location. I just thought I would try to help some people out that are in a place where T-Mobile has terrible/no service and they don't want to pay $60 a month for the prepaid smartphone plan from AT&T. This tablet plan is half the price. To make calls you can just use Groove IP along with Google Voice, and that is through your data. So you no longer need a phone plan, only data!!

Nice thing about the N4 is that it is a petaband phone and can easily be switched between att or t mobile at anytime on prepaid sims.

So the "insert (preferred) carrier/plan here" argument is moot.

But the OP is appreciated knowledge.

Just test and go with what works for your needs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: ctowne

gear.h34d.2012

Jun 15, 2010
What's the APN that you would use? I'm doing the same thing and can't get the APN correct. Thanks.

threeclaws

Mar 7, 2006
California
To me the extra $15 for straight talk is worth it but for someone who uses very few minutes and no MMS this could be a great option.

sporez

May 27, 2012
Hmm this might be a good option for me. Sadly, T-mobile data speeds have been very disappointing around my area. Plus, anywhere outside of town is edge which is worse yet.

gear.h34d.2012

Jun 15, 2010
Definitely trying to create a new data connect account and items totally not letting me. :'(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ballastatuz

Aug 2, 2012
Rialto CA
That's awesome. You could just get that and your google voice number. Be set for 30 bucks a month on AT&T. With great coverage.
I am just on a family plan.

Reactions: ctowne

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
To me the extra $15 for straight talk is worth it but for someone who uses very few minutes and no MMS this could be a great option.

You can still do MMS, it is just through Google Voice (which is free).

What's the APN that you would use? I'm doing the same thing and can't get the APN correct. Thanks.

This is what worked for me. It may work with just the MEdia Net one, but I had both and it worked.

APN1=============================
Name: Activate
APN: lwaactivate
Proxy: (not set)
Port: (Not Set)
Username: (Not Set)
Password: (Not Set)
Server: (Not Set)
MMSC: (Not Set)
MMS Proxy (Not Set)
MMS port: (Not Set)
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: (Not Set)
APN Type: default,admin,fota,hipri

APN2====================

Name: MEdia Net
APN: broadband
Proxy: (Not Set)
MMS proxy: (Not Set)
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
Authentication type: (Not Set)
APN type: default,admin,fota,hipri

Definitely trying to create a new data connect account and items totally not letting me. :'(

Do you have a tablet IMEI and a SIM card #? https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/ShowLogin.action?source=ECV4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=buyasession

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have confirmed that AT&T's tablet dataconnect plans work on the nexus 4. This is awesome if you just want data without having to pay extra for phone service. Right now I'm using the 3GB $30 a month prepaid Dataconnect plan. All I did was enter the IMEI for a tablet, T-Mobile Springboard is what I used, and your Sim card #. From there you just simply change your APN and your good to go. I wasn't sure if this was possible or not, but now I have confirmed that it is!

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

You can still do MMS, it is just through Google Voice (which is free).

This is what worked for me. It may work with just the MEdia Net one, but I had both and it worked.

APN1=============================
    Name: Activate
    APN: lwaactivate
    Proxy: (not set)
    MMS Proxy (Not Set)
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    Authentication Type: (Not Set)
    APN Type: default,admin,fota,hipri

APN2====================

Name: MEdia Net
    APN: broadband
    Proxy: (Not Set)
    MMS proxy: (Not Set)
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    Authentication type: (Not Set)
    APN type: default,admin,fota,hipri

Do you have a tablet IMEI and a SIM card #? https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/ShowLogin.action?source=ECV4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=buyasession
    I might have to do that. Would anyone who has a tablet be willing to give me the TAC which is the first 8 digits of the imei number which basically tells the model of the tablet. From there I'm pretty sure I can calculate the rest.

Here ya go 35736904
    Yay! Just activated mine using my (future) mother-in-law's seldom used Pantech tablet. Now, how do y'all keep track of your data used? With T-Mobile there was a nifty app or two. Looks like you can't use myAT&T with prepaid. Other options?

Through your phone like ctowne said, or you can also do it through their Dataconnect Pass website. Just log in and go to devices, it'll show how much data you've used and how many days are left on your Pass.
    What's the easiest way to get on this plan with the Nexus 4 without a tablet? I saw someone mention something about a Redpocket SIM.

Use an AT&T sim and make your own imei using luhns algorithm. Here's the first 8 digits for ya.. 35736904