[CAB] Install wm6.5 widget engine

Search This thread

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
With the directions from slayer69 and the package created by twopumpchump I made a cab which installs the widget engine to your mobile.

First of all, I cannot test it fully since I only have a phone with wm6.5 flashed on it, but the time I tried it, it worked. So if you try this, it's on your one risk.

So this works on WM6.5 phone where no widget engine has been cooked in, but it could work on other WM versions, so if you have tried it on another versions, post it here.

Afterwards do a softreset and try a widget. For example one I created which can be found here:

Streams-T Light

Download:
add_widget_engine_v2.cab

Note, if you do have the widget engine but you can't open .wgt or .widget files, just use this cab: enable_widgets_wm6.5.cab. If the file \Windows\wmwidgetinstaller.exe does not exist then you can try the cab with the whole widget engine.

Last edited:

Martinhdk

Mar 7, 2007
Nice but the widget gives me an error; "Error update the software management database"

?

Btw - its on a WM 6.1 - Topaz

krazy_about_technology

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 3, 2008
Pune
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Same here. Although i didn't tried this cab, but i cooked IE 6 with Browsingie and browsingie_lang_0409 folder along with the Widget Packages from from Wm 6.5 build 23016 in my WM 6.1 21054 ROM. Widgets gave the same error while installing. I guess there is some registry hive or a file based metabase which tracks installed widgets/software. This is not setup as in 6.5 and hence this error.
I suspect that this metabase is same as used by the standard uninstaller control panel applet. I guess the installer executable that installs cabs has been changed a bit in 6.5.

krazy_about_technology

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 3, 2008
Pune
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Same here. Although i didn't tried this cab, but i cooked IE 6 with Browsingie and browsingie_lang_0409 folder along with the Widget Packages from from Wm 6.5 build 23016 in my WM 6.1 21054 ROM. Widgets gave the same error while installing. I guess there is some registry hive or a file based metabase which tracks installed widgets/software. This is not setup as in 6.5 and hence this error.
I suspect that this metabase is same as used by the standard uninstaller control panel applet. I guess the installer executable that installs cabs has been changed a bit in 6.5.

ragingbull

Dec 10, 2008
Brighton
Hmmmm, sounds interesting.
I am tempted to try this on my Topaz HTC Stock ROM. :cool:
It probably won't work but it's worth a try :D
I'll let you guys know if it works (or if it doesn't :( )

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Appearently it only works on wm6.5 where the engine is removed. The engine uses, seeing the error message, the database handling of wm6.5 which is different from wm6.1 etc.

Hmm, to bad

igloo

Jan 24, 2007
near Munich
Hi,

have installed the "add_widget_engine_v2.cab" and "enable_widgets_wm6.5.cab". When trying to install a widget (doesn't matter if .wgt or .widget, allways the same error), an error window pops up with a red cross but no text, just empty.

The same window appears when I start the "wmwidgetinstaller.exe" in the windows folder.

What is wrong with my installation? Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Any help is very much appreciated!!!

xplode

Dec 9, 2005
Nesebar
Widget engine will only work on WM6.5, don't even bother to try it on 6.1 or earlyer - there are specific functions which are present only in WM6.5

igloo

Jan 24, 2007
near Munich
I have flashed the RTT Leet R2 WM 6.5 Build 23017. This is a light ROM without Manila. Nevertheless it should be able to handle widget?!?

qtruq

May 17, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
I get 2 errors. when i click on the widget to install it, i get an error saying it cant update the registry. when i click on the wmwidget' file located in the windows folder, i get an error saying ''error launching the widget''. how can i fix this? i install both files and did the soft resets. here's my device configurations.

Memory
System ROM Size : 96MB
System RAM Size : 64MB
ROM Is Flash : Yes
Flash Manufacturer : Intel
Flash Chip Type : 28F256L30
Flash Block Size : 256KB
PSM Driver Version : N/A

Version
Product Revision Level : 2.7
ROM Date : 28/05/10
ROM Revision : WM6.5.SPv7T
OS Version : Windows CE 5.2
Bootstrap Version : Tomahawk.v7T
Bootloader Version : Spiaatie.WM6.5

Display
Color : Yes
Horizontal Pixels : 240
Vertical Pixels : 320
Color Depth : 65535
Display Type : TFT
Panel ID : 1

System
Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard Company
Model ID : hp iPAQ hx2110
Processor Type : Intel(R) PXA270
Processor Revision : C0
Language : ENG
Country ID : ABA

markmi300

Mar 1, 2009
Westland
Automatically install Widgets

Hello. Is there a way to automatically install widgets (.wgt) files during User Customization (XDA_UC or SDConfig.txt)? Thanks for the help.