[Q] China 816 Unlocked & Rooted - how to get google apps?

Search This thread

build1138

May 12, 2014
Howdy, first timer here. I purchased the 816 and want to use my google apps on it and link it to my google account. I've unlocked, flashed custom recovery ("recovery_en" via fastboot) and recovered from "HTC 816 4.4.2 SENSE5.5 ROOT." I think everything worked, but when I try to install and open Google Services from the HTC Market Place I get the error message "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped." How do I fix this? How do I install Google Play on my phone?

Update: I tried installing the google apps package from here: wccftech.com/download-latest-google-apps-android-1/ Now when I boot the phone I get a loop of "Unfortunately, SetupWizard has stopped." I can just recover from the HTC 816 4.4.2 SENSE5.5 ROOT to fix this ,right?

Update #2: Success! I wiped the cache, still got "Unfortunately, SetupWizard has stopped," wiped the dalvik cache, same error, then wiped user dater and cache and the phone not only works but had google play installed on it! And Hangouts too automatically opened. Now I can get all of my real apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: booloth and s327374

s327374

Feb 11, 2011
Beijing
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Howdy, first timer here. I purchased the 816 and want to use my google apps on it and link it to my google account. I've unlocked, flashed custom recovery ("recovery_en" via fastboot) and recovered from "HTC 816 4.4.2 SENSE5.5 ROOT." I think everything worked, but when I try to install and open Google Services from the HTC Market Place I get the error message "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped." How do I fix this? How do I install Google Play on my phone?

Update: I tried installing the google apps package from here: wccftech.com/download-latest-google-apps-android-1/ Now when I boot the phone I get a loop of "Unfortunately, SetupWizard has stopped." I can just recover from the HTC 816 4.4.2 SENSE5.5 ROOT to fix this ,right?

Update #2: Success! I wiped the cache, still got "Unfortunately, SetupWizard has stopped," wiped the dalvik cache, same error, then wiped user dater and cache and the phone not only works but had google play installed on it! And Hangouts too automatically opened. Now I can get all of my real apps.

Hi - Great that you succeeded - was this the HTC d816w? I have a friend who has purchased one and needs to install a ROM to get google play. I think it is important though that there might be a differentce between HTC desire 816w and HTC desire 816.

Cheers.

*EDIT: Just looked at the ROM link and it is for 816dw - Happy days for my friend I reckon. Cheers.

Last edited:

the_sorcerer

Aug 13, 2010

How did you unlock the phone? mines of China Unicom dual sim version. Cant access the HBOOT menu with power+volume down button. Want to flash it and want to install customer ROM.

kinghunki

Dec 20, 2009
LanZhou
htcui.com

Please delete: system\app\SetupWizard apk

iknomz

May 17, 2014
HTC Desire 816 Android 4.4.3 Sense 6.0

I recently purchased HTC Desire 816 Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 (Unlocked). Any ongoing development? International version perhaps?

Last edited:

bunina

May 31, 2014
HTC Desire 816W 3G Dual Sim Card

I just purchased HTC Desire 816W 3G Dual Sim Card. You can use HTC Marketplace to download application name GMS.
You just run this GMS and follow instruction (it would download file around 170MB, perhaps ROM). And after that will automatic Restart and install this ROM). After that I can get Google Play successfully.
:laugh:

finniky

Apr 15, 2015
China 816 Dual Sim unlock and root

Hi
Its been quite a while since your post but im hoping you can help me out. I am totally not experienced with rooting etc and ive been googling for a solution to the same problem. I have a htc desire 816 from china and even though ive installed the apk file for google play store it crashes. I imagine rooting is the only option now. With that in mind i would like to clarify that since this is the dual sim variant would there be any compatibility issues with that. Its just that i have come across some posts where after rooting people have reported some issues. Could you tell me if that was the case with the phone you rooted?
Kindly forgive any inconvenience to you on my part as this happens to be my first post regarding such issues.
Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I just purchased HTC Desire 816W 3G Dual Sim Card. You can use HTC Marketplace to download application name GMS.
You just run this GMS and follow instruction (it would download file around 170MB, perhaps ROM). And after that will automatic Restart and install this ROM). After that I can get Google Play successfully.
:laugh:

Hi,
I have an HTC Desire 816 dual sim unrooted at the moment which I got from a person in china. I have been trying to install playstore and it crashes. So i read your comment and i typed gms in the htc marketplace and the first option that came up was gms but it was a 0.39 mb file even though you mentioned it would be a 170 mb file. The htc marketplace itself also gives options in chinese so that limits my understanding also.
If you could guide me it would really help me out
Thanks in advance

Naresh stuart

May 15, 2015
i am using htc one m8 which was bought in china . in that mobile google play is not working. showing that "unfortunately google play services has stopped". but i want to use gmail and other google apps . somebody please help me.

shatta01

Jan 3, 2013
How did you unlock the phone? mines of China Unicom dual sim version. Cant access the HBOOT menu with power+volume down button. Want to flash it and want to install customer ROM.

I know it's been a while. Did you ever get to flash it? I'm stuck with this custom recovery issue. I cant boot into the custom recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.