[MOD] ICS Email.apk Bypassing Exchange Security Policy (modded by irtehun)

Search This thread

irtehun

May 31, 2010
This is for Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.1 Only!

Modded ICS EmailGoogle.apk to allow Bypass of Security Policy.

Attached is just the APK and then a zip file which SHOULD be able to be flashed with CWM. The zip has been untested, so please post feedback.

Howto Install.

1.) Use Root Explorer or something like it and naviagte to system/app, mount as r/w and delete Email.apk, Reboot Device

2.) copy the new EmailGoogle.apk to system/app and change permissions to Owner(read,write), Group(read), Others(read).

rebot again. and your done.

Attachments

• EmailGoogle.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,273
  • ICS-hacked-email.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,919
Last edited:

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Got it working.
I delete both EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk at /system/app.
Reboot, copy back your modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk

Thanks a lot dude!!

Last edited:

luapclark

Aug 8, 2010
Got it working.

Thanks a lot dude!!

Does this require a de odexed rom? The stock galaxy nexus has odex files so im not sure if this will work?

Also you mention the exchangegoogle.apk this isnt provided here, do you mean you backed up the stock one and reinstated it along with the moded emailgoogle.apk after a reboot?

Cheers

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Does this require a de odexed rom? The stock galaxy nexus has odex files so im not sure if this will work?

Also you mention the exchangegoogle.apk this isnt provided here, do you mean you backed up the stock one and reinstated it along with the moded emailgoogle.apk after a reboot?

Cheers

I would say it requires de-odexed ROM.
I can't install this as normal application, it will return fail.
So I know I need to clear the email off the system (including the ExchangeGoogle).
Backed it up, delete and reboot.

Then I copy both of them back and reboot it. :)

T

Thyrus

guys you dont need to touch ExchangeGoogle at all.

EmailGoogle is all you need.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Got it working.

Thanks a lot dude!!

No problem. U don't have to delete ExchangeGoogle.apk though.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
Are we sure this requires deodexed rom? I'm willing to root for this, but it's a-little early for me to start flashing. I usually don't do that until I'm bored with stock.
Thanks irtehun!

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Are we sure this requires deodexed rom? I'm willing to root for this, but it's a-little early for me to start flashing. I usually don't do that until I'm bored with stock.
Thanks irtehun!

Pretty sure it has to be de-odexed, but u could let us know if it works on stock.

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
I accepted your challenge. Unfortunately when I launch email it just tells me that unfortunately exchange services has stopped.
Perhaps I'll be flashing sooner than I thought.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
I accepted your challenge. Unfortunately when I launch email it just tells me that unfortunately exchange services has stopped.

Must have to be de-odexed. Send me a pm and ill give u my email and will try to mod the stock one to work

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
Well, I thought I'd get it over with - so I flashed the Revolution HD rom for my Galaxy Nexus.
I tried both methods, copying and CWM for the modified apk but I still get the exchange error when opening the email app. I copied back the original apk and it launched OK.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I sent you a PM in case...
Thanks!

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Well, I thought I'd get it over with - so I flashed the Revolution HD rom for my Galaxy Nexus.
I tried both methods, copying and CWM for the modified apk but I still get the exchange error when opening the email app. I copied back the original apk and it launched OK.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I sent you a PM in case...
Thanks!

Are u sure that ROM is deodexed?

Also send me the Email.apk from that ROM. I'll mod that particular one and let u try it.

Last edited:

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Must have to be de-odexed. Send me a pm and ill give u my email and will try to mod the stock one to work

Which is why I deleted/backup EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk, reboot and copy paste back the modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk.

Else, I'll just get exchange services has stopped.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Which is why I deleted/backup EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk, reboot and copy paste back the modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk.

Else, I'll just get exchange services has stopped.

Well thanks hope that helps him out. I have no power at my house(damn snow storm) so I can't help him by Modding his version

Last edited:

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
zaidaiman, can I ask what rom you're using?
I swear I did it right, but it's still a no go for me.
I copied the 2 APKs EmailGoogle and ExchangeGoogle to sdcard for backup.
I deleted the 2 files from system/app
rebooted
copied the modded EmailGoogle and then the ExchangeGoogle APKs back to system/app
changed file permissions to read/write, read, read.
rebooted.
Immediately on bootup I get the exchange error. I tried to go through email setup and got the exchange error several more times then it closed the email app.

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
zaidaiman, can I ask what rom you're using?
I swear I did it right, but it's still a no go for me.
I copied the 2 APKs EmailGoogle and ExchangeGoogle to sdcard for backup.
I deleted the 2 files from system/app
rebooted
copied the modded EmailGoogle and then the ExchangeGoogle APKs back to system/app
changed file permissions to read/write, read, read.
rebooted.
Immediately on bootup I get the exchange error. I tried to go through email setup and got the exchange error several more times then it closed the email app.

I'm using kwiboo's ICS AOSP ROM with franco.kernel ICS on Nexus S.
How about you try to set it up, just ignore the bloody exchange service has stopped, reboot and uninstall it through titanium.

I think the issue is the some sort of "registry". Need to clear this one for sure.

S

sebycristi

Works

Works on I9000 ICS port Beta1. I just followed the steps in OP. Thanks

irtehun

May 31, 2010
I use Exchange mail for work and I'm curious: why would you actually need this? Is this only for people who have specific security policies that prevent the stock Email app from connecting to the server?

No it bypasses the password lock so u don't have to enter password every time u unlock

T

Thyrus

PS: not sure if it is the apk you modded's fault or the exhange - but after a couple of reboots or 24hours, the email stops responding - and I get a "cannot connect due to security" message.

Need to re-enable pin lock, then re-synch, then change the unlock method again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.1 Only!

Modded ICS EmailGoogle.apk to allow Bypass of Security Policy.

Attached is just the APK and then a zip file which SHOULD be able to be flashed with CWM. The zip has been untested, so please post feedback.

Howto Install.

1.) Use Root Explorer or something like it and naviagte to system/app, mount as r/w and delete Email.apk, Reboot Device

2.) copy the new EmailGoogle.apk to system/app and change permissions to Owner(read,write), Group(read), Others(read).

rebot again. and your done.
    Hi folks, any one has had success with this "bypass" on MIUI.us 4.0.4-2.4.13?

If yes, please let me know which method worked for you. I have unsuccessfully tried to use the apks from here but the Exchange keeps FC :(

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not sure if the same but i have it working on my ICS MIUI 4.0.4
    Doesnt hurt to try, if it works, cant take credit, downloaded these 2 apk's from somewhere in this thread.

Backup existing email and exchange apks from system/app then delete them and reboot
    copy new email and exchange apks into system/app and change permissions for both owner (read/write) and others to read only then reboot
    then begin to setup your email and when complete and it asks you for security, select yes, choose your relevant options but when asked to select activate, reboot again.
    Then load email again and this time hopefully you wont be asked for a pswd etc and it will start to sync.
    Hope it works for you, let us know if it does. Works on ICS 4.0.3 as well
    I don't think I've seen anyone with a Galaxy Nexus report success. I think all the successful ones have been Galaxy S.
    Actually i managed to get it working on my Galaxy Nexus. However im not stock. Currently using Modacco lr5. I'll attach the emailGoogle.apk later so you guys can have a go at it.

Done. I do hope this isn't considered hijacking. Let me know if I am and I'll create a separate thread.
    Got it working!!

After a lot of trial and error I finally got it working on galaxy nexus running [AOSP 4.0.3] Android Open Kang Project - maguro build X

Essentially what I did was that I took all the apks from his thread and started a mix-match process to get it to work. The final tid-bit that made it work was I renamed the attached apks from emailgoogle.apk and exchangegoogle.apk to email.apk and exchange.apk. I did this because I noticed that this is what the rom came with originally.

The installation process:
    - With root explorer backup/delete the old email.apk and exchange.apk
    - Copy/paste the attached email.apk and exchange.apk
    - Change the permissions to rw-r-r for both apks
    - Reboot

I did not receive any errors after the modification.

Credit goes to whomever made those apks. (Apologies, I forgot which ones they are from all the mix-match)

-HM
    I managed to magically build an Email.apk that worked for me from the AOSP 4.0.3_r1-branch after some trial and error.

I have no idea if this is of any help to anyone or works for anyone but me. Anyhow, since it worked for me on my own maguro build of 4.0.3-r1 I thought I atleast could post it here for niceness and in hope that it'll help someone out.

I made some changes to the getInactiveReasons-method (and the isActive-method, but this seems to have been unneeded), and I haven't tested it for more than a few hours. But seemingly it is working, no encryption and no pin.

Edit;
    For people who want to patch their own, here's how.
    At the bottom of the getInactiveReasons-method in packages/apps/Email/src/com/android/email/SecurityPolicy.java in the android-4.0.3-r1-repo you will find
    Code:
                return reasons;
            }
            // return false, not active
            return INACTIVE_NEED_ACTIVATION;
        }

So I thought to myself; there's no reason to need activation, let's just say "LOL NO REASON"
    Code:
                return 0;
            }
            // return false, not active
            return 0;
        }
    And for some magical reason, it worked.

This seems almost too straightforward to be true, so I'll give you a hefty disclaimer and say that I was as surprised as you probably are (if you are decently surprised)

TL;DR: It worked for me, and that's magical.

If you build this successfully on your own and it works, please tell me so I can remove the stuff i did in the isActive-method!