How many are using a 64 GB micro SD card?

Search This thread

mke1973

Dec 3, 2010
I know that the HAM2 officially only supports 32 GB micro SD cards; however the PC Mag reviewer successfully used a 64 GB micro SD card and I believe at least 1 Amazon reviewer was using a 64 GB micro SD card. I ordered a class 4 SanDisk 32 GB when I placed my phone order on Amazon. (I, like many others, had bad luck trying to use a class 10 card with a tablet so I'm steering clear of using class 10 cards in anything other than cameras.) If any one on this forum is successfully using a 64 GB card, could you indicate the brand and class of the card. As the holidays approach and sales start, I may keep my eyes open if others are having luck using a 64 GB card on a daily basis. TIA,

aragon257

Sep 16, 2013
I've been using a lexar 64gb class 10 from walmart, works in my Mate and Mate2.

Last edited:

mke1973

Dec 3, 2010
I've been using a lexar 64gb class 10 from walmart, works in my Mate and Mate2.

Good to know. I was doing some searching and found that SanDisk has compatibility info out on the HAM2 indicating that it's compatible not just with it's 64 GB micro SD cards but with it's new 128 GB micro SD card.

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=21274

There's a member on another forum testing the SanDisk 128 GB card in his Galaxy S5, since so many people have had data losses with high capacity cards. He loaded his new 128 GB card til it was almost full is and working it hard to see if it gets corrupted. I will probably keep reading his updates. The 128 GB card is expensive, but Amazon had it on sale for almost 50 per cent off.

aragon257

Sep 16, 2013
Good to know. I was doing some searching and found that SanDisk has compatibility info out on the HAM2 indicating that it's compatible not just with it's 64 GB micro SD cards but with it's new 128 GB micro SD card.

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=21274

There's a member on another forum testing the SanDisk 128 GB card in his Galaxy S5, since so many people have had data losses with high capacity cards. He loaded his new 128 GB card til it was almost full is and working it hard to see if it gets corrupted. I will probably keep reading his updates. The 128 GB card is expensive, but Amazon had it on sale for almost 50 per cent off.

Ive has bad luck with cheap cards corrupting data on me. I've learnt you get what you pay for. I got it from Walmart, if it didn't work or got corrupted I could always return it.

TheGeekRedneck

Jun 12, 2011
Honestly, although device manufacturers might recommend up to a 32GB MicroSD card, if the device is running Android 4.2 or higher it should support 64GB and beyond with no issues.

I'm using a Transcend Class 10 32GB card in my HAM2 at the moment, but I think I might get a 64GB or 128GB card. Although I love Google Music's online storage a lot, my T-Mobile signal isn't good enough when I'm out in the country to reliably stream music. Having a huge SD card to keep it all on is sooo nice.

And the fact that the build of Jelly Bean on the HAM2 allows apps and games to be moved to the SD card makes it even sweeter.....

mke1973

Dec 3, 2010
Honestly, although device manufacturers might recommend up to a 32GB MicroSD card, if the device is running Android 4.2 or higher it should support 64GB and beyond with no issues.

I'm using a Transcend Class 10 32GB card in my HAM2 at the moment, but I think I might get a 64GB or 128GB card. Although I love Google Music's online storage a lot, my T-Mobile signal isn't good enough when I'm out in the country to reliably stream music. Having a huge SD card to keep it all on is sooo nice.

And the fact that the build of Jelly Bean on the HAM2 allows apps and games to be moved to the SD card makes it even sweeter.....

Until we can root, stock jelly bean limits external SD storage to data, not the apps themselves. Once rooted, there are some options to move apps to external SD cards, but they can be problematic; however, many people use them.

TheGeekRedneck

Jun 12, 2011
Until we can root, stock jelly bean limits external SD storage to data, not the apps themselves. Once rooted, there are some options to move apps to external SD cards, but they can be problematic; however, many people use them.

Ummm... Google re-added the ability for lots of devices in 4.3, and it doesn't require root. You can, in fact, move many apps to the SD card with the stock Jelly Bean on your HAM2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-23-06-51-30.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-23-06-51-30.png
    118 KB · Views: 437

mke1973

Dec 3, 2010
Ummm... Google re-added the ability for lots of devices in 4.3, and it doesn't require root. You can, in fact, move many apps to the SD card with the stock Jelly Bean on your HAM2.

Good to know. That makes me more inclined to consider getting a larger micro SD card during the upcoming holiday sales. I'm waiting for my phone to arrive and hope it get's here by Tuesday, as Amazon has promised.

tomlemange

Jul 15, 2014
I'm using a Sandisk 64GB card myself and have had no problems with it. My old Galaxy S2X used to hate the higher capacity card, but it's been flawless with my Mate 2.

notoriouspk

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto
me using sandisk 64gb without issues gr8 device I want root and cyanogen :p
without the screen protector touch feels like baby skin ...it has at least twice the screen on time than my nexus 5 which I retired forcefully after my mate 2

Last edited: