How to use Beats?

Search This thread

pmgreen

Apr 17, 2012
Where/how do you use Beats? I have music on the Rezound but the Music play can't find it.

PhantasmRezound

Mar 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.soundcloud.com
Without modding, Beats sound enhancer is only available in the stock HTC music app and the stock video player. Hit Menu soft key > Sound enhancer for music player, or More > Sound enhancer while playing a video. The music player will also put a toggle in your notifications bar.

Beats effects only work with the line out headphone jack, not the loudspeaker out.

pmgreen

Apr 17, 2012
I tried .MP3 and "downloaded" music from GMusic. Is there a way to link "My library" to a specific folder?

PhantasmRezound

Mar 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.soundcloud.com
I tried .MP3 and "downloaded" music from GMusic. Is there a way to link "My library" to a specific folder?

Google Music stores offline mp3 files in /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music. The files are named as integers without tags, so you are best off making copies, renaming and tagging (if you wish), and putting them on the external sd or another internal folder, e.g. /sdcard/My Music.

There is no way to scan specific folders in the stock HTC Music UI AFAIK. Easiest way to get it to detect files that don't show in the player's library is to make sure they are in a folder in /sdcard/ or the external sd, and reboot; should rescan for files and pick them up them. Perhaps someone else knows how to tweak the library, with an app or editing a file?

Frankly, I have broken my stock player at the moment from flashing ROMs and not wiping properly (ran out of Charmin Ultra lol ;)) Else I'd troubleshoot the problem more.

Either way, I find the HTC Music app lacking compared to PowerAmp (scans everything lightning fast), doubletwist (good for iTunes integration) and other offerings on the Play Store. I have simply done the Beats Audio mod to all sound output: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1587168 Then use whichever music player I want.

pmgreen

Apr 17, 2012
thanks Phantasm, how do you install the beats audio? Does the phone have to be rooted first?

PhantasmRezound

Mar 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.soundcloud.com
thanks Phantasm, how do you install the beats audio? Does the phone have to be rooted first?

Yes, you must be rooted and flash a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or Amon Ra (most people would probably recommend Amon Ra for this particular device.) Then you flash the Beats audio zip file from your custom recovery.

Bear in mind that if you don't like the sound signature for whatever reason, you must reflash the ROM to restore the original sound processing.

It comes stock with the phone

Yes, but the Beats Audio sound effect is only in the stock music and video apps, not any others. This mod works on all audio output, e.g. streaming music. That is what I like about Sense 4.0: universal Beats sound effect. Wonder if 3.6 gets it.

Now, to bring this full circle, if you want to stay stock and not go through Unlocking and rooting, I wouldn't do all that for this Mod alone. Only if you intend on rooting and customizing your phone anyway. I'm sure plenty of people will suggest DSPManager or Volume+ or the EQ in PowerAmp, etc. Those options are great, customizable, and don't need root. I use all of those with and without the Mod on ROMs; it provides a better baseline sound IMHO.