[Q] Nexus 4 rooting problem

Search This thread

Omegao

Jun 9, 2014
Searched a lot of forums and couldn't really find anything.So basically the problem is I rooted my nexus 4(Using Kingo Android root) and everything went quite successfully.I saw the bootloader screen and the menu came up,etc.However once I installed some applications which require super root access It gave the error "The phone is not rooted" so I downloaded a root checker and it also confirmed this.However I can access the Android recovery if I hold the right keys and there is an unlock icon when I boot up my phone.Not really sure why this is happening.

p.s:I'm not really used to the technical jargon as I am a relatively new user to android.

Thanks

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
Searched a lot of forums and couldn't really find anything.So basically the problem is I rooted my nexus 4(Using Kingo Android root) and everything went quite successfully.I saw the bootloader screen and the menu came up,etc.However once I installed some applications which require super root access It gave the error "The phone is not rooted" so I downloaded a root checker and it also confirmed this.However I can access the Android recovery if I hold the right keys and there is an unlock icon when I boot up my phone.Not really sure why this is happening.

p.s:I'm not really used to the technical jargon as I am a relatively new user to android.

Thanks

do you have Superuser or SuperSu on your phone. Do you have busybox installed? Do you have a custom recovery installed? Personally I never heard of the the toolkit you used. I used Wugs when I did mine

Omegao

Jun 9, 2014
do you have Superuser or SuperSu on your phone. Do you have busybox installed? Do you have a custom recovery installed? Personally I never heard of the the toolkit you used. I used Wugs when I did mine

Umm I don't know if I have Superuser,I got a notification when I attempt to use applications which require superuser access stating I do not have superuser access.Also no I did not download any of the above applications as they all require root access which my phone( for some reason:confused:) says I don't have.Which is the main problem.

I can access that screen where there is an android having open-heart surgery(Is that the bootloader?)
Thats pretty much it.I didn't install any additional software after rooting it with that.And tbh the only reason I used that is because it was a one-click root process :eek:

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Toolkits are pretty useless. All that is needed to root a nexus device is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery (technically optional), use custom recovery to flash supersu.

The unlock icon means bootloader is unlocked, do you have a custom recovery yet such as TWRP or clockworkmod?

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
Umm I don't know if I have Superuser,I got a notification when I attempt to use applications which require superuser access stating I do not have superuser access.Also no I did not download any of the above applications as they all require root access which my phone( for some reason:confused:) says I don't have.Which is the main problem.

I can access that screen where there is an android having open-heart surgery(Is that the bootloader?)
Thats pretty much it.I didn't install any additional software after rooting it with that.And tbh the only reason I used that is because it was a one-click root process :eek:
none of them are truly one click and rooting this phone is not that difficult. To be honest if you have a problem following rooting instructions for a Nexus may I say rooting may not be for you and quit while your a head. If you used a toolkit you might be able to download Superuser from playstore and test your root.

Toolkits are pretty useless. All that is needed to root a nexus device is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery (technically optional), use custom recovery to flash supersu.

The unlock icon means bootloader is unlocked, do you have a custom recovery yet such as TWRP or clockworkmod?

lets be honest toolkits are useful for most that need a little help. For more advanced users of course its an issue. Flashing a recovery would still require downloading of software and understand adb slightly.

Omegao

Jun 9, 2014

I'm not sure if I have.But when I hold certain keys when turning it on it does bring an interface which says clockwork something at the bottom(Maybe the mod?)