Problems mirroring Z2 Tablet to projector/TV

Search This thread

SilverMerlin

Mar 8, 2009
Having a few problems with mirroring my Z2 tablet to a TV/projector. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on some of the issues I am having as I seem to have reached a dead end.

I connect my xperia Z2 tablet to a none MHL projector using the Sony IM750 MHL adapter to present course slides at work and use it to connect to a none MHL TV at home. The picture is good but the adapter uses the power source and this drains the battery slowly from the tablet. I think the reason for this is that the IM750 is MHL 1.1. The tablet supports upto MHL 3.0 but as yet there does not seem to be any compatible adapters that are will work with the z2 tablet above MHL 1. If there was I am assuming that this would allow more current to get to the tablet and less or none at all would be drained from the tablet battery? Samsung currently sell an MHL 2.0 adapter but this will not work with the z2 tablet as it is has a 11 pin fitting rather than a 5 pin. I wish that someone out there would make a 5pin MHL 2.0 or even better MHL3.0 adapter that would work with the tablet, I have spent many hours on the internet but cannot find one.

I have also tried miracast to connect my tablet to my LG TV but there is noticeable lag and the screen can be glitchy at times. Does anyone know whether this would be the case if I used the netgear PTV3000? would it be better than the TV and is it worth a punt from amazon I suppose I could always return it if it does not work as well as I like.

Any ideas anyone it just doesn't seem at the moment that there is a reliable solution to connect the Z2 tablet to a projector or TV or has anyone found anything better?

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
If you don't need screen mirroring (do you need it? Really???), then other possibilities to bring video or photo to a screen are MUCH better / more problem-free and widely recommended than MHL or Miracast.

- Chromecast

- Android TV sticks / boxes which can receive content via DLNA

- Raspberry Pi with XBMC

- Other mini computer (like Intel NUC) with XBMC, Plex or something like that.

Stop bothering with MHL or Miracast, it will save your nerves.

SilverMerlin

Mar 8, 2009
Yes tell me about it it's a real pain. I have quite specific needs so I think I probably do need to mirror. I work as a trainer giving presentations all over the place so I need something that is not dependant on having a wifi signal as it tends to be poor at best at places that I work, so mhl and miracast do seem like my only options as they don't require connection to a router. As far as I am aware there doesn't seem to be a perfect option for none Samsung android tablets which is disappointing as I am big fan of my z2. I might have to go back to my win 8 laptop which I don't really want to do. I can't understand why there is not a 5 pin mhl 2.0 adapter.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
If you don't need screen mirroring (do you need it? Really???), then other possibilities to bring video or photo to a screen are MUCH better / more problem-free and widely recommended than MHL or Miracast.

- Chromecast

- Android TV sticks / boxes which can receive content via DLNA

- Raspberry Pi with XBMC

- Other mini computer (like Intel NUC) with XBMC, Plex or something like that.

Stop bothering with MHL or Miracast, it will save your nerves.

I think the issue, is Chromecast requires the user to be part of a Wifi Network to connect?If you're in a location where there is no Wifi available, well........