GPS software with roads that doesn't require a data plan?

Search This thread

yerdua2093

Dec 28, 2008
I am just wondering if there is a free GPS application that has roads on it (like the tomtom) that doesn't use the internet.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
And you can stop here too as if you search a bit you'll see this doesn't exist (yet?).

JimmyMcGee

Moderator Emeritus
I am just wondering if there is a free GPS application that has roads on it (like the tomtom) that doesn't use the internet.

Greedy Huh? Either Pay to Get Roads Via a data Plan. Or Pay for Maps for TomTom. Why would someone take the time to compile very complex maps to work with GPS software and Give it away for free?

I'm sorry to say, but Capitalism Rules!

smjoshi

Feb 14, 2008

Checkout Terracrosser - Free (till now at least), requires no data plan, you need a PC with internet connection though to download maps either from Google Or Yahoo available free, Terracrosser comes with an application (on the PC) to package the Google/Yahoo maps that can be transfered to your Kaiser, NO voice prompts, no route planning, no other bells and whistles - basic tracking of position using the GPS on free road maps but what more you can expect for free.

derkaderka

Jan 2, 2009
I downloaded tomtom 7 to give it a try and it completely surpassed all expectations I had for it. Sure, the graphics may not be stunning but all of the recent roadwork around my city was on there and I was very impressed with how many poi's I had access too. I purchased the maps this morning and I recommend you do the same, you won't regret it.