[Q] Battery swollen, random rebooting, dead at 50%

Search This thread

00Justas

Aug 20, 2013
For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.
I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
If you didn't open your device I guess you should get warranty.

In any case: if the battery is expanded (swollen) do NOT turn it on or connect to A/C! The battery might explode/catch fire!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

00Justas

Aug 20, 2013
I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.

I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.

belictony

Jun 11, 2013
I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.

Don't worry. If you can make it to bootloader flash stock rom and lock boot loader. If you can't make it to boot loader, the warranty will be denied if the damages are due to custom ROM. Using custom ROM alone cannot be said as a reason for denying warranty.
I had the same problem. The back panel slightly bumped and I flashed stock rom and bootloader as soon as I saw it. Since it was the beginning stage of battery swollen out, they put a new battery under warranty. They asked me question like how long would you charge, etc... Tell them 1.5-2hrs. Chances are 50% that they will accept under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

midnight911

Jun 1, 2012
Hell

I've got exacly same problems with mine. Since my warranty has run out I've just bought new battery and changed it myself. Everything works now as it should. Try warranty, if not buy new battery and back cover if you need.