[Q] Help to identify my kernel

Search This thread

rohitdas28

Apr 25, 2014
I have a Canvas 2 on which I would like to install a custom rom specifically ([ROM] [JB 4.2.2] ---***Ultimate Galaxy V4 [New Updated]***--- Note 3 + S5 UI) this one. I have read and researched a lot but I'm stuck at the point where it says "This ROM is Without Kernel. You Need To Flash Kernel If U R On 4.1.x. If U R on 4.2.x Then No Need To Flash Kernel"

I have rooted my phone, installed CWM Recovery but I'm not able to verify my kernel version.. On my phone it shows kernel version "3.0.13" and android version "4.0.4" ICS. Do I need to flash a new kernel? Where can I find the new kernel and how to flash it? I don't want to brick my phone by installing the above custom ROM on an incorrect kernel.

Sdk_Zone

Nov 16, 2012
Surat
I have a Canvas 2 on which I would like to install a custom rom specifically ([ROM] [JB 4.2.2] ---***Ultimate Galaxy V4 [New Updated]***--- Note 3 + S5 UI) this one. I have read and researched a lot but I'm stuck at the point where it says "This ROM is Without Kernel. You Need To Flash Kernel If U R On 4.1.x. If U R on 4.2.x Then No Need To Flash Kernel"

I have rooted my phone, installed CWM Recovery but I'm not able to verify my kernel version.. On my phone it shows kernel version "3.0.13" and android version "4.0.4" ICS. Do I need to flash a new kernel? Where can I find the new kernel and how to flash it? I don't want to brick my phone by installing the above custom ROM on an incorrect kernel.

hmm....okey first of all u on 4.0.4 its ics..no prob buddy.. u need to flash kernel for every new version of android..that line where u stuck it says if ur device android ver is 4.1.X (X means ver like 1 or 2 or 3 eg:4.1.1) then u need to flash kernel for ver 4.2.X for flashing ultimate galaxy rom on ur device..ultimate galaxy v4's version is 4.2.2..and of-course u r on ics than that compulsory need to flash letest kernel..

for kernel u can try bindass boost kernel on ur device - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2683095
there's all kernel what u need if u wanna flash 4.1 rom then download 4.1 kernel or if u wanna 4.2 rom then download 4.2 kernel & flash it on ur device

hit thanks if i helped u

Reactions: rohitdas28

rohitdas28

Apr 25, 2014
hmm....okey first of all u on 4.0.4 its ics..no prob buddy.. u need to flash kernel for every new version of android..that line where u stuck it says if ur device android ver is 4.1.X (X means ver like 1 or 2 or 3 eg:4.1.1) then u need to flash kernel for ver 4.2.X for flashing ultimate galaxy rom on ur device..ultimate galaxy v4's version is 4.2.2..and of-course u r on ics than that compulsory need to flash letest kernel..

for kernel u can try bindass boost kernel on ur device - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2683095
there's all kernel what u need if u wanna flash 4.1 rom then download 4.1 kernel or if u wanna 4.2 rom then download 4.2 kernel & flash it on ur device

hit thanks if i helped u

hi.. thanks for the tip.. I have successfully installed 4.1.1 stock on canvas 2.. now I want to install a 4.2.x rom with kernel.. is that it or only installing a 4.2.2 kernel is enough to do it..??

Sdk_Zone

Nov 16, 2012
Surat
hi.. thanks for the tip.. I have successfully installed 4.1.1 stock on canvas 2.. now I want to install a 4.2.x rom with kernel.. is that it or only installing a 4.2.2 kernel is enough to do it..??

hurrey....u now on 4.1.1 k....bt buddy if u wanna flash 4.2.X rom then also want to flash the 4.2.X kernel..if u dont flash it then many prob can pop on ur device or u may brick or ur device can be bootlooped....if u r on 4.2.X kernel then u can use ur old ver of android like 4.1.1 rom on 4.2.x kernel..

ok for flashing rom
1st flash letest kernel then rom it will good & safe for booting ur new rom in ur device..
if u just flash the kernel than it will be ok & u may flash rom at any time in future..

hit thanks if i helped u...

rohitdas28

Apr 25, 2014
hurrey....u now on 4.1.1 k....bt buddy if u wanna flash 4.2.X rom then also want to flash the 4.2.X kernel..if u dont flash it then many prob can pop on ur device or u may brick or ur device can be bootlooped....if u r on 4.2.X kernel then u can use ur old ver of android like 4.1.1 rom on 4.2.x kernel..

ok for flashing rom
1st flash letest kernel then rom it will good & safe for booting ur new rom in ur device..
if u just flash the kernel than it will be ok & u may flash rom at any time in future..

okay.. understood.. how to flash only the kernel? in the CWM Receovery Mode I could not find the option for flashing kernel only.. or am I doing it wrong? I am using this kernel..I am going to use X****** is this correct cos there are two download options one for 4.1.x and for 4.2.x and I have downloaded 4.2.x.. can I flash this on my 4.1.1 ROM? Please explain how to flash the kernel..

Last edited:

Sdk_Zone

Nov 16, 2012
Surat
okay.. understood.. how to flash only the kernel? in the CWM Receovery Mode I could not find the option for flashing kernel only.. or am I doing it wrong? I am using this kernel..I am going to use Xtreme-Rejoice-4.2.x-3.4.82 is this correct cos there are two download options one for 4.1.x and for 4.2.x and I have downloaded 4.2.x.. can I flash this on my 4.1.1 ROM? Please explain how to flash the kernel..

we cant discuss xtreme kernel here DUE TO GPL Violation....
okey then all kernels & rom installation(Flashing) r same..
download rom or kernel's zip file n
copy that zip file to ur device's sd card
now boot to recovery mode(what ever u have..like cwm, twrp, ctr, etc.)
goto install/update from sd card
find ur zip file there & select it.
install it n reboot ur device..

hit thanks if i helped u

rohitdas28

Apr 25, 2014

hit thanks if i helped u

ummm.. so if I simply copy the kernel and run it from CWM it'll load a 4.2.x kernel without affecting my 4.1.1.rom?

rohitdas28

Apr 25, 2014
yes buddy u got it....if u stuck on bootloop...then just goto recovery mode back once .. wipe cache & dalvik cache once then reboot ur device..it will not change any thing in ur rom

hit thanks if i helped u

thanks!!! that worked wonderfully..... now I'm on kernel 3.4.82... this means I can install my desired custom rom of 4.2.x... one last question, after I install the galaxy ROM and want to change to say nexus rom.. should I revert back to ICS or JB 4.1.1 STOCK or simply install the new ROM over the old one without changing anything?

Reactions: Sdk_Zone

Sdk_Zone

Nov 16, 2012
Surat
thanks!!! that worked wonderfully..... now I'm on kernel 3.4.82... this means I can install my desired custom rom of 4.2.x... one last question, after I install the galaxy ROM and want to change to say nexus rom.. should I revert back to ICS or JB 4.1.1 STOCK or simply install the new ROM over the old one without changing anything?

u welcome bro

no buddy no need to revert bak to stock....just follow instruction which is written on thread....

if device is bricked then u need to flash stock rom to ur device using sp flash tool...

hit thanks if i helped u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hit thanks if i helped u

ok for flashing rom

okay.. understood.. how to flash only the kernel? in the CWM Receovery Mode I could not find the option for flashing kernel only.. or am I doing it wrong? I am using this kernel..I am going to use Xtreme-Rejoice-4.2.x-3.4.82 is this correct cos there are two download options one for 4.1.x and for 4.2.x and I have downloaded 4.2.x.. can I flash this on my 4.1.1 ROM? Please explain how to flash the kernel..

hit thanks if i helped u
    ummm.. so if I simply copy the kernel and run it from CWM it'll load a 4.2.x kernel without affecting my 4.1.1.rom?

yes buddy u got it....if u stuck on bootloop...then just goto recovery mode back once .. wipe cache & dalvik cache once then reboot ur device..it will not change any thing in ur rom

hit thanks if i helped u

hit thanks if i helped u