Bing Maps frustrations

Search This thread

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
Interesting. Maybe it's whatever certain APIs are exposed to the mobile Bing app? Clearly, the web version has some kind of auto correction the mobile version doesn't/can't access.

Btw, how come you didn't question why it was placing the marker on the green side of a mountain?

That is a shame that Microsoft's own secrutity retrictions on API's is making Bing Maps crap. MS needs to get off of it's high horse and stop retricting the phone so much and then maybe they will sale more. I'm still not happy with the fact that you have to listen and tap for the next instructions on it agg :mad: even my old crappy WM6.0 had a better map navigation than this.

drokkon

Oct 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
That is a shame that Microsoft's own secrutity retrictions on API's is making Bing Maps crap. MS needs to get off of it's high horse and stop retricting the phone so much and then maybe they will sale more. I'm still not happy with the fact that you have to listen and tap for the next instructions on it agg :mad: even my old crappy WM6.0 had a better map navigation than this.

Weird. You're not the first person to mention this, but I, for one, don't have to tap for the next instructions.

drokkon

Oct 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
I guess they must have fixed this, I got linked to this discussion from another thread, yet when I tried it on my HD7 (TMOUS 8107), it automatically corrected it for me from the bing maps search and showed me the same thing the web app does (although it didn't warn me like the web app that it was corrected). Just for giggles I emailed the address to myself to see if it was a link related thing and got the same correct result. I noticed how old the thread is but just wanted to say that it looks like it was fixed at some point (which is an assumption since I never got to see it broken). Perhaps the partnership with Nokia included address resolution logic changes?

4010 Silverheels Dr, Silverthorn, CO 80498

Thanks for reviving this thread. You are correct - I went to the original text message I received from way back in December, the one with the misspelled address that Windows Phone was smart enough to recognize an address and hyperlink to maps. Sure enough, I tapped it and it now points to the correct location.

I guess this is a server side fix, because heaven knows AT&T hasn't sent me an update for my Titan since December.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the misspelling is the key. If I put the address in my phone exactly as shown (without the 'e') it is way wrong. But if I add the 'e', it goes to the right spot.

When I use the web version of Bing Maps, it tells me that the city is spelled incorrectly, and auto-corrects it. That seems to be the piece that is broken/missing on WP7.
    Interesting. Maybe it's whatever certain APIs are exposed to the mobile Bing app? Clearly, the web version has some kind of auto correction the mobile version doesn't/can't access.

Btw, how come you didn't question why it was placing the marker on the green side of a mountain?
    I can not verify this. I typed in the adress just as you specified, and this is what it came up with. I checked in google maps and bing maps. Bing maps is identical google maps is ~500 feet west of the spot, so practically the same.
    So last week I went to stay in a condo with some friends. They texted me the address and it conveniently created a link that took me right to Bing maps. I was a half-hour late because Bing Maps dropped me off THIRTEEN MILES AWAY from the actual address. This is fully the THIRD time that I've been late or completely missed an event because Bing maps couldn't get me to the right place. Worse, every time someone asks why I was late and I respond "my phone took me to the wrong place," they ask what I'm using. When I reluctantly admit that it is Bing, I always get something to the effect of, "oh, THAT'S why."

In the end, I used the gMaps app to get to the right place. The weirdest thing is that when I went to Bing Maps on a browser at the condo, it GOT THE ADDRESS RIGHT! It's only the Bing Maps on my phone that dropped me off far, far away.

Try it for yourself on your Windows phone "Maps" app, on Bing Maps on a browser, or on Google Maps:

4010 Silverheels Dr, Silverthorn, CO 80498

(I know "Silverthorne" is misspelled, but that's how it was in the text message, so I'm leaving it as-is for troubleshooting reasons.)

WHY?!?!?!?

It is probably because Windows phone doesn't force autocorrect. (instead suggests unline the iphone for example and others) it underlined it as possibly wrong on mine with correct suggestion (when doing search in bing maps on phone) Bing maps on the pc just assumes you ment the correct one and takes u there.
    Same here, some street numbers are inverted... almost missed a meeting...