Review of Don Scorpio Dolphin premium headphones w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

bravobs

Jun 24, 2014
I was talking about $400 P7 ;) It's a great pair of phones, premium quality build and materials, but after awhile I couldn't get a comfy fit and bass was too overpowering, while upper mids were a bit colored. B&W makes amazing speakers, so they were trying to squeeze speaker design into headphones :)

I KNEW you are going to bring Takstar Pro 80 because that's what a lot of people compared Dolphins to on head-fi, and I remember Dolphin won hands down. I was watching a movie last night on my laptop, and my wife daisy-chained her IEMs to Dolphins so we don't wake up kids, and I enjoyed the sound a lot. Fantastic bass, great soundstage, and overall great sound signature. It's not audiophile neutral/balanced quality since there is some coloration, but they have a fun sound and fantastic ergonomics to fold flat. Btw, I verified with Penonaudio and they have EVERY color in stock!!!

That's because the takstar pro 80 is a heck of a value too :) I just needed a little more nudge before really getting the dolphins. Thanks for the insight. Now im gonna buy it.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Sorry for the delay. My budget is in the $200 range. I listen to all types of music, From classical to jazz to rock to rap to pop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I still think Dolphins will be a good choice for you; plus its a great deal for $99. ATH-M50x are great too and you can get Slappa case for it to make "portable" (it's in my M50x review). Sennheiser Momentum over-ear just dropped in price to mid 200s, also a great solution - they sound amazing!!! A few other suggestions are Shure SRH840 and SoundMagic HP100, $200 each.

scorpionhd2

Jan 12, 2013
Miami
I still think Dolphins will be a good choice for you; plus its a great deal for $99. ATH-M50x are great too and you can get Slappa case for it to make "portable" (it's in my M50x review). Sennheiser Momentum over-ear just dropped in price to mid 200s, also a great solution - they sound amazing!!! A few other suggestions are Shure SRH840 and SoundMagic HP100, $200 each.
What are your thoughts on Bose QuietComfort 15?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
What are your thoughts on Bose QuietComfort 15?

For active noise cancellation (ANC) you can't beat them. I never tried any Bose headphones, but typically ANC introduces a background hiss which affects the purity of the sound. Don't think its a big deal for majority of listeners, but for some it could be a deal breaker. Plus, QC15 uses batteries which means you constantly have to worry about those. Also, some listing on Amazon says QC15 is discontinued by manufacturer?

I would say, if you are traveling on the plane a lot or listen to a music in a very loud environment - those would be a good choice.

scorpionhd2

Jan 12, 2013
Miami
For active noise cancellation (ANC) you can't beat them. I never tried any Bose headphones, but typically ANC introduces a background hiss which affects the purity of the sound. Don't think its a big deal for majority of listeners, but for some it could be a deal breaker. Plus, QC15 uses batteries which means you constantly have to worry about those. Also, some listing on Amazon says QC15 is discontinued by manufacturer?

I would say, if you are traveling on the plane a lot or listen to a music in a very loud environment - those would be a good choice.
I will be using them on a mountain bike for daily commute as well as other applications.

What about the SoundTrue model?

Last edited:

jjdmx

Jul 13, 2014
Don Scorpio Dolphin

Dear all,
I spent 8 months of my life in China last year and also spent my free time going around in the most incredible place worldwide for electronics gear.
The Shenzhen Electronic market
I bought one sample after try many kinds of headphone copy or original one's. I never know Don Scorpio brand and never try this product before but in just 5 seconds play a song from my Iphone ( that can't be a reference in audio quality!) and simply I love it. So finally I completely agree the Vectron opinion. Surely better than high end headphone made by AKG, not at same level of better Sennheiser, but sure 100% that the value of this head phone is may be 4 time the money spent ( if you have as reference the 120 usd price).
Just a remarks, in China cost only 30€.

Regarding the materials quality, no dubt some detail can be better made, but never forget the price and the value of 2 way excellent driver that really can give you a timeless pleasure.

Chinese can make it perfect in some details but the price will be higher for sure (believe me I do this job everyday)

:cowboy:

Reactions: vectron

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Dear all,
I spent 8 months of my life in China last year and also spent my free time going around in the most incredible place worldwide for electronics gear.
I bought one sample after try many kinds of headphone copy or original one's. I never know Don Scorpio brand and never try this product before but in just 5 seconds play a song from my Iphone ( that can't be a reference in audio quality!) and simply I love it. So finally I completely agree the Vectron opinion. Surely better than high end headphone made by AKG, not at same level of better Sennheiser, but sure 100% that the value of this head phone is may be 4 time the money spent ( if you have as reference the 120 usd price).

Regarding the materials quality, no dubt some detail can be better made, but never forget the price and the value of 2 way excellent driver that really can give you a timeless pleasure.

Chinese can make it perfect in some details but the price will be higher for sure (believe me I do this job everyday)

Though I'm more into in-ear headphones, I still use Dolphins quite often.

Since you had a chance to preview so many different headphones, any other ones you can share with us about? Something unique with a great sound quality and more premium build?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hej,

Great review, tempting to get a pair of these.... Don't You find them a really close match to the Zik Parrot v2.0 headphones?

Sure, some resemblance :) Just enough but not too much to keep Zik's lawyers away lol!!!

Btw, I'm still using these headphones and enjoying every minute of it!

Euxaes

Aug 20, 2014
Hello,

Pardon the sudden necro.

A friend recommended me this headphone. I'm just wondering if you have tried CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live!) not v2, I wanted to know what is better between Dolphin and CAL!

I'm a bit worried about the Dolphin's build. I have read from other sites that their pair broke easily.

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If me and my friend need to listen to one phone, Can my friend connect through this headphone or what ?

Since there are two jacks on the headset, one on the left and the other on the right, can I connect another headphone ?

If so, is the sound volume decreased or not ?

Yes, they have so called share-play where you can daisy chain headphones playing from one source. I do it sometime when my wife and I watch a movie on laptop. The volume level stays the same.
    Never heard Marshall Monitors; also those are not as highly discussed on head-fi? In comparison to Beats, Dolphins will have a lot better separation/layering of sounds where Beats just overpower/saturate and spill into lower mids. Dolphins will definitely have more details across the entire frequency range, though neither Dolphins nor Beats will have natural tones when it comes to upper mids where your vocals are sitting. But you get used to it. Audio Technica ATH-M50/50x will deliver a more accurate sound, thus they referred to as studio monitors (with enhanced bass) to provide a more accurate monitoring.
    Does this still holds true after spending enough time with them? thanks

Honestly, I cool down a little bit lol!!! In terms of build quality, it's hard to beat V-Moda, but in terms of sound quality I still think Dolphins are better than Beats, B&W, and V-Moda. Not so with Senns, but Dolphins still sound pretty good at a fraction of the price.
    Don Scorpio Dolphin

Dear all,