[KERNEL][12/31] rohan.kernel.b7 [Linux 3.0.57][GCC 4.7][2.0ghz][S2W][INTELLI][SIO]

Search This thread

rohan32

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2011
New Jersey
rmathur.com
Rohan, HTCDev posted the 3.1.10 source on the site.

http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads

EDIT: Ah you knew. :)

indeed, thanks for the heads up nevertheless.

Flemmard (kernel god :D) is actually working on a new 3.4 kernel for us... CAF based, meaning no HTC crap in it, and it will allow us to be fully caught up with Qualcomm's latest patches and such. thats the reason why I haven't ported this kernel to 4.2 yet... as the situation develops I'll see what to do. sit tight ;)

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
indeed, thanks for the heads up nevertheless.

Flemmard (kernel god :D) is actually working on a new 3.4 kernel for us... CAF based, meaning no HTC crap in it, and it will allow us to be fully caught up with Qualcomm's latest patches and such. thats the reason why I haven't ported this kernel to 4.2 yet... as the situation develops I'll see what to do. sit tight ;)

Impatiently waiting for this! Sweep2wake is amazing, and the lack of it completely terribly horrible. Yet, I love 4.2 for so many reasons. This is gonna be good.

ToxicWaste

Nov 17, 2012
Great rom here. Nice and simple. Fast and stable.

Keep up the great work!:thumbup:

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

ToxicWaste

Nov 17, 2012
This is a kernel, not a ROM. You flash this over a ROM, like CM10 or a different JB 4.1 ROM.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I know. I just realized I thanked him for the rom, after I flashed this kernel. Oops. Well, kernel is great too. Hahaha. I previously flashed King Kang.

My mistake. :D

Reactions: pside15

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
I am having problems with wifi after flashing kernel, yes I am flashing boot.img with fastboot prior to zip load.

Do a FULL wipe and start from the beginning, ROM/Gapps first, reboot to bootloader, boot.img, reboot to recovery, flash the recovery.zip, reboot and test. Which ROM are you trying to use this with?

atombone

Sep 13, 2012
Please excuse my ignorance but, once the kernel is flashed and later i install a new CM10 nightly: will i have to flash the kernel again?

pside15

Aug 5, 2010
Flowery Branch, Ga
Please excuse my ignorance but, once the kernel is flashed and later i install a new CM10 nightly: will i have to flash the kernel again?

Yep. When you flash a new ROM it flashes the kernel that is included with the ROM as well. Unless you are on the newer HBOOT where you have to flash the boot.img separately, then your old kernel should still be there. If it were me, I'd flash a ROM and then the stock kernel included with the ROM through fastboot, if needed. Make sure everything is running well and then go back and flash Rohan's kernel after that.

pside15

Aug 5, 2010
Flowery Branch, Ga
This will not work with the cm10.1 nightlies nor will it with any 4.2 rom

He didn't say anything about CM10.1 nightlies. He just asked about regular CM10 nightlies, which I guess aren't really nightlies anymore, but weekly ROMs. This kernel will work fine on those. You are definitely correct about it not working on CM10.1 though. My other response was for him using CM10 and not CM10.1.

atombone

Sep 13, 2012
Yep. When you flash a new ROM it flashes the kernel that is included with the ROM as well. Unless you are on the newer HBOOT where you have to flash the boot.img separately, then your old kernel should still be there. If it were me, I'd flash a ROM and then the stock kernel included with the ROM through fastboot, if needed. Make sure everything is running well and then go back and flash Rohan's kernel after that.

thanks for yours and mikelebz's responses. very helpful. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rohan.kernel alpha builds
    for the HTC One XL​

Meant for AOSP JB 4.1.X ROMs ONLY
    THIS WILL NOT WORK ON 4.2.X ROMS!!!

Features:
    Code:
    -Overclock-able to 2.0ghz
    -Undervolted
    -Loads of CPU Governors (recommended: intellidemand)
    -Loads of I/O Schedulers (recommended: simple i/o)
    -User controllable voltage table based off of sysfs
    -XZ Compression
    -sweep2wake
    -Linux 3.0.57 (latest release from 3.0.x branch)
    -GCC 4.7.2 Linaro Toolchain Compilation
    -lowmemorykiller fixes
    -Tweaked I/O Schedulers
    -zRAM enabled
    -Tweaked KSM
    -Disabled fsync
    -Increased readahead buffer
    -self-powered OTG support
    -NTFS read/write support
    -decreased cache pressure for faster fs
    -camera app flash till 5%
    -various other tweaks for stability and performance

HOW TO INSTALL:
    If you are on the older HBoot:
    1) Flash the kernel zip in recovery
    2) Wipe dalvik cache
    3) Reboot and configure it to your liking

If you are on the newer HBoot:
    1) Flash the kernel boot.img from the zip using fastboot
    2) Reboot into recovery
    3) Flash the kernel zip to install the modules
    4) Wipe your dalvik cache
    5) Reboot and configure it to your liking

Want to see this kernel in action? Watch this video!

Thanks to XsMagical and Team Nocturnal for the video!

What is coming soon:

Code:
    -Fast Charge for ROMs that support it (such as AOKP JB)

What I hope to add but no promises:
    Code:
    -MSM DCVS governor
    -GPU control
    -Gamma/Color control (tightly integrated... there is loose integration with current 3rd party apps)

What is never coming so don't ask:
    Code:
    -BS patches and features

Download: http://code.google.com/p/rohan-kernel-evita/downloads/list
    b6 and onwards include two versions: a NORMAL version and a NOVC version. First try the NORMAL version. If that does not work correctly, then try the NOVC version, which includes all features except voltage control.
    Recommended values:
    192mhz Minimum
    1.98ghz Max
    I/O: sio
    CPU Gov: intellidemand

Use an app like No Frills CPU Control and set the values you want at boot.

These are extremely alpha builds. They are not fully tested and may brick your device. If something does happen to your device, you are not to blame myself or any others involved in this kernel. Flashing this is solely your responsibility and if something happens, blame yourself. Always make a backup before flashing. Making a nandroid of your boot partition takes a few seconds but could help you save your device from bricking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

My goal for this kernel is to make it simply an enhanced stock JB kernel.

If you enjoy my work or would like to encourage further development, then please consider donating. All of my money comes from donations as I am currently in high school. They are never required but always appreciated. My link is under my name on the left.

GPL: https://github.com/rohanmathur/rohan.kernel.elite
    I was in the middle of building Build 5 of the kernel when my power went out T_T lol

I've been gone for the past few days because as expected, I lost power due to the storm. It did some pretty major damage to my house, but luckily no one was injured. About half our roof is gone, along with 3 trees and a window is shattered. Besides that though, everything is good.

Currently I don't have power. and I probably wont until early next week. The state of my town is insane right now; in a road near me, every 100 meters or so there is a live wire down with a huge 50ft tree on top of it. This won't be cleaned up for a long time. I haven't had school for the past week either, and I probably won't next week either, since pretty much 90% of my town doesn't have power still.

I'm currently at my Mom's work, since they have electricity and power, along with internet. I'll be here for the next few days during the daytime I guess, so feel free to PM me.

Hope anyone else who was affected by this terrible storm is okay- just remember none of the material stuff matters; keep your family safe.

I'll answer whatever questions you guys have in a bit. Whenever I get power back, I'll also release Build 5 of the kernel, with sweep2wake. Its in my kernel git also, and it should work fine, so if any of you want to build the kernel and release it unofficially, thats fine by me. The machine I'm on right now isn't set up for anything so I cant do much of anything on it though :)
    I've been working on this today, heres what I've accomplished:

*Better stability for those of you who were having issues- i nailed down a bug that was screwing with the CPU clock speed with certain governors

*Initial support for the MSM-DCVS governor (still not functional and crashes frequently). Once I get this governor up to speed, it will hopefully become the default governor (its build specifically for the Krait processors by Qualcomm, meant to demonstrate how they can go from high speeds, high loads, to low speeds in an instant- a.k.a. really good battery life and really good performance). It does have a ton of dependencies though, so it will take some time to get it working correctly. It scales and controls nearly every part of the system (everything from the CPU, to the GPU, to the various kernel modules). The governor really is a thing of beauty.

*Initial files for sweep2wake. Still trying to get it to build properly, more info coming soon.

OTG will be coming whenever the block on building due to the qcom repos gets fixed. Besides those things, I'm curious, what other features/things do you guys want to see in this kernel? Besides the normal optimizations, etc.
    rohan.kernel.b7

Download: http://code.google.com/p/rohan-kernel-evita/downloads/list

Choose normal at first, and if it isn't working for you/you are experiencing issues, try the NOVC version

Code:
    Changelog:
    -Updated to Linux 3.0.57 (most recent from kernel.org)
    -Includes many bug fixes & improvements
    -Stability increased greatly
    -Proper CPU1 Control Workaround (thanks jrior001)
    -Tweaked KSM values
    -Bumped GPU frequencies very slightly for smoothness
    -Several cache improvements
    -Many CPU frequency and GPU frequency scaling improvements
    -Optimized cryptology algorithms (thanks faux123)
    -Compiled with GCC 4.7.2 Linaro toolchain (thanks vanja_z... really nice work with this)

Many thanks to all of the people who I've yanked stuff from for this build... you guys rock :)
    Changelog:

Dec 31 - rohan.kernel.b7
    Code:
    Changelog:
    -Updated to Linux 3.0.57 (most recent from kernel.org)
    -Includes many bug fixes & improvements
    -Stability increased greatly
    -Proper CPU1 Control Workaround (thanks jrior001)
    -Tweaked KSM values
    -Bumped GPU frequencies very slightly for smoothness
    -Several cache improvements
    -Many CPU frequency and GPU frequency scaling improvements
    -Optimized cryptology algorithms (thanks faux123)
    -Compiled with GCC 4.7.2 Linaro toolchain (thanks vanja_z... really nice work with this)

Nov 25 - rohan.kernel.b6
    Code:
    Changelog:
    -Updated to CM status:
    *Linux 3.0.52
    *Switched to ION audio instead of pmem and a new memory setup
    -Allow flash to work till 5% battery (previous was 15%)
    -Decreased the cache pressure on certain fs
    -Reverted to stock voltage values
    -Other various tweaks and fixes

Nov 02 - rohan.kernel.b5
    Code:
    Changelog:
    -sweep2wake implemented; still needs some tweaking
    -deadline I/O scheduler tweaked for optimum performance

Oct 29 - rohan.kernel.b4
    Code:
    -Updated to latest CM kernel status which entails:
    * Linux version 3.0.48
    * USB OTG support (self-powered)
    * NTFS read/write support
    -Attempted to fix some of the cpufreq issues some people were having
    -Removed a little more junk from the kernel

Oct 12 - rohan.kernel.b3
    Code:
    -Completely rebased off of CM10's new unified kernel, which brings with it:
    100mb more RAM
    Linux 3.0.45
    Various other fixes and changes
    -User-controllable voltage table for AOKP's ROM Control (other apps may work too)
    -Removed 0.5mb of junk from the kernel (now 3.8mb in total)
    -Various other fixes, tweaks, and mods

Sept 26 - rohan.kernel.b2
    Code:
    -Overclock up to 2.0ghz (user-selectable)
    -Set intellidemand as the default CPU governor
    -Removed interactiveX and brazillianwax (causing issues)
    -Tweaked Deadline I/O Scheduler
    -Linaro -O2 compiliation and various optimizations
    -XZ Compression (reduced kernel size by nearly 20%!)
    -AC Charging mode for unknown chargers
    -Improved kernel logic
    -Better lowmemorykiller values
    -Various other smaller tweaks
    -Undervolted

Sept 17 - Initial Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Thanks to:
    h8rift - for being inspirational in his charge for CM and his fantastic work on CM10 and the stock kernel
    intervigil - for his fantastic work on the msm8960 kernel and his work on ville (the One S)
    show-p1984 - for his initial sweep2wake goodness on the international HOX
    sbryan12144 - for his great work in porting sweep2wake over to our device, and for other misc commits
    zarboz - for his great work in porting sweep2wake over to our device
    faux123 - for being an inspiration for kernel development and a master at what he does, along with some misc commits
    jrior001 - proper CPU1 control
    vanja_z - GCC 4.7.2 Linaro compilation
    Donators - you guys rock!
    HOX Community - for always providing feedback, whether good or bad, and encouraging me to continue