Nexus S i9020A - Battery Drain (Both ICS and GB) really need help

Search This thread

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
Here is my current battery. Not sure how good it is lol.

4ac60a4a-a8d3-2381.jpg

4ac60a4a-a8e8-93b5.jpg

4ac60a4a-a8fa-22cd.jpg

I could get a little more (about 2-3 hours) out of the speedy kernel but it was choppy. Overall I'd say this was mid-high usage. Closer to mid. My data wasn't on for too long

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
CM9 Kang (Build 7 of 2.1
Matrix Kernel (CFS 17)
OC 1000/100 (lazy)

Oogway13

Oct 21, 2011
San Jose
It does sound like hardware might be the faulty one here (not the battery). Is there a way you can test this battery on another Samsung device (I know this might be hard)? If not, as they stated on the thread, go back to stock with a locked bootloader and ask Samsung for a warranty.

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Here is my current battery. Not sure how good it is lol.

I could get a little more (about 2-3 hours) out of the speedy kernel but it was choppy. Overall I'd say this was mid-high usage. Closer to mid. My data wasn't on for too long

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
CM9 Kang (Build 7 of 2.1
Matrix Kernel (CFS 17)
OC 1000/100 (lazy)

How much were you getting on Gingerbread? Wit light usage how much battery life do you get?

B

bedalus

I actually told Samsung everything I'd done over the phone. I think the woman i spoke to ignored the stuff about the custom ROMs I'd been flashing, and the efs folder I'd corrupted. But i restored it to stock before sending it in.

kernels ; battery ; ROM ; gov/sched

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
How much were you getting on Gingerbread? Wit light usage how much battery life do you get?

I'm actually not sure. When I had GB I wasn't too concerned with battery and newer to android so I never tracked it. I remember being able to get at least 18 hours with heavy use (aprox) I would say...

If I lightly used my phone (a few texts, an hour of music, etc) I can get a day. That would require me doing next to nothing. When I leave my phone off I have came back to it 5 hours later only loosing 5-1%. It is pretty nice standby time. As soon as data turns on it plummets though...

Oh and note that the set up I'm using right now is smoother and the battery lasts longer than my my last

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
CM9 Kang (Build 7 of 2.1)
Eugene's Kernel (Speedy 7)
OC 1000/200 (lazy)
Live OC (105)

Last edited:

wolfomega23

Feb 9, 2011
Orlando
Exactly same issue here! Down to the exact extra batteries and everything!

I am very sorry to open a new thread about battery drain that has been discussed so many times but I am really desperate.

I recently purchased a second hand Nexus S i9020A (unlocked AT&T version) from swappa. (Website that sells only android phones) and I am getting terrible battery life no matter what I try.

The phone is rooted and have tried several ICS roms and all have terrible battery life about 6-7 hours when the phone is on idle for most of the time.

I then installed CM7 as I read that ICS has some battery drain issues, but I still get really bad battery life 6.5-7.5 hours again the phone is on idle for most of the time.

I also tried several kernels.

I tried disabling the WIFI, GPS etc this did not help.

The phone came with two batteries an Anker Battery and the Samsung battery. I sent Anker an email asking them about the battery life, they told me to let the battery discharge to around 10% and recharge to 100% a couple of times. I did this twice, but no improvement in the battery life I was about to do it a third time when I fell asleep the battery must have drained completely and now that battery seems to no longer be working.

I thought maybe I am really unlucky and I got two bad batteries, so I purchased a new RND Battery from Amazon as I thought maybe there were some problems with the Anker. Turned off the phone let it charge for 7.5 hours, but the battery meter still showed that it was not fully charged, but the instructions said to charge for at least 5-6 hours, so I turned on and unfortunately I have the same battery drain.

I have installed a Battery Calibration app from the Android Market to see what the reading was and when the phone read 100% charge it was a little over 4,000 mV . I am not sure if this is what it is supposed to be, maybe one of you can let me know.

In addition I have wiped the battery stats from from the bootloader a few times after I have fully charged the battery and even factory reset the phone but this made no difference.

Last night I even flashed a new radio I went from I9020AUCKF1 to KB3 but this also made no difference. I have been struggling with this problem for about a week with no improvement what so ever.

I read that its bad to completely discharge Li-on batteries, so before I left home to go out, I turned off the phone so that the battery would not discharge, when I arrived home a few hours later the battery was dead even though the phone was turned off. (this was the original Samsung battery not the new battery I purchased, I did not try this with the new battery as yet)

I checked the battery usage and compared it to a Galaxy S2 to see what was using up the battery and the OS and Screen usage % seems to be comparable amount to the GS2.

I also tried a few of the Governors that are included with CM7 and also used the wheatly Governor when I was on ICS, but it made no difference.

Can any one help me? Is there something wrong with the phone? I purchased this as a present for someone who really wanted an iPhone because I could not afford an unlocked iPhone and they are really disappointed by this. I know this may be an isolated case, but I always assured the person that the android phone can do everything the iPhone can do, but not I feel like such a fool.

Can this be fixed? I purchased this when I was in the US but now I am away so returning it would be a problem. Is there a way to check if there is something wrong with the phone itself that's causing the battery to drain at such a fast rate?

Any one that can help me I would really appreciate it and be very thankful, I know there are other topics that deal with battery issues, but I have been researching this for about a week and tried everything I can, I didn't just start a new thread without trying.

The screenshot below shows a high display usage because I was using the phone to try to troubleshoot normally android system uses the most and display is closer to 7% but the uptime is the same. Even though it says 3h 51 mins at 48% in the screenshot the battery seems to discharge faster as it percentage goes down.

I have those exact same issues with this phone. Did you ever solve these problems?

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
I have those exact same issues with this phone. Did you ever solve these problems?

Unfortunately so far no, if I do I will post here, but if you find a solution please post here to let me know as well. How old is your phone, did you flash it recently or did your phone always have this problem? I am trying to see if we did anything in common that may have caused a problem.

My phone is a used phone and came like this, so I have no idea if it worked better before or not. I saw on some forums that after about a week or two of use the battery life improved, I doubt this will be the case with mine, but I am still hopeful and will try this before I return.

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Maybe one of you more knowledgeable guys can explain this to me. Is it that when you charge your battery it starts with around 4,100 mV and as the amount of mV decrease your battery discharges?
The reason I am asking is because I was using OS monitor and my battery was at 69% and it was at 3,875 mV, a couple of mins after I let the phone go into an idle state and when I rechecked battery was at 68% but the mV reading was 3,907 mV .

Is this normal? Is this how it is supposed to work?

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Lithium ion batteries don't lose their voltage much as they discharge. Therefore it is not a good indicator to say that if my battery is at 3900mV now, it will have lost xx% when it hits 3850mV. Most car batteries, for example, lose their voltage somewhat proportional to their charge.

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks Harbb, not to beat the topic to death, but I left the battery at 17% and to make sure the battery did not drain when not in use, I pulled out the battery. When I came back home about 3 hours later and put back in the battery the reading was now 7%.

How could this happen?? Does this mean that I can have three bad batteries? Is there any way for me to test this?

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
I don't have an electronics background, but the phone must be draining the battery through a short or something of the likes. If you leave your battery charged at 40% for a day without being in the phone, you'll be lucky to lose 2%. If it is draining while the phone is off (i know mine doesn't), then there is some kind of hardware fault.

wolfomega23

Feb 9, 2011
Orlando
The nexus S has always had these battery issues. I just had enough and now run around with two batteries. However I rarely have to change em because of my current setup (in my sig). I'm currently testing Matr1x v17 to see if it is better and I'll let you know.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
The Nexus S has always had drastic battery drain while the phone is off? You may want to reread the problem.

mylifeuncutt83

May 25, 2012
Same issue

I have the same exact problem.. I bought a new battery but im still not able to charge the phone via anything...

It seems like a hardware issue so far.

dgw2jr

Apr 14, 2011
Same exact issue here. 8-10 hours of standby time, in airplane mode, minimum screen brightness. Having tried everything including return to stock and new battery, I'm convinced it's a hardware fault and I don't have a warranty from Samsung. I'm betting the only fix is to sell it to someone who doesn't mind 8 hours of standby/1 hour of talk time and buy a new phone. sigh...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am very sorry to open a new thread about battery drain that has been discussed so many times but I am really desperate.

I recently purchased a second hand Nexus S i9020A (unlocked AT&T version) from swappa. (Website that sells only android phones) and I am getting terrible battery life no matter what I try.

The phone is rooted and have tried several ICS roms and all have terrible battery life about 6-7 hours when the phone is on idle for most of the time.

I then installed CM7 as I read that ICS has some battery drain issues, but I still get really bad battery life 6.5-7.5 hours again the phone is on idle for most of the time.

I also tried several kernels.

I tried disabling the WIFI, GPS etc this did not help.

The phone came with two batteries an Anker Battery and the Samsung battery. I sent Anker an email asking them about the battery life, they told me to let the battery discharge to around 10% and recharge to 100% a couple of times. I did this twice, but no improvement in the battery life I was about to do it a third time when I fell asleep the battery must have drained completely and now that battery seems to no longer be working.

I thought maybe I am really unlucky and I got two bad batteries, so I purchased a new RND Battery from Amazon as I thought maybe there were some problems with the Anker. Turned off the phone let it charge for 7.5 hours, but the battery meter still showed that it was not fully charged, but the instructions said to charge for at least 5-6 hours, so I turned on and unfortunately I have the same battery drain.

I have installed a Battery Calibration app from the Android Market to see what the reading was and when the phone read 100% charge it was a little over 4,000 mV . I am not sure if this is what it is supposed to be, maybe one of you can let me know.

In addition I have wiped the battery stats from from the bootloader a few times after I have fully charged the battery and even factory reset the phone but this made no difference.

Last night I even flashed a new radio I went from I9020AUCKF1 to KB3 but this also made no difference. I have been struggling with this problem for about a week with no improvement what so ever.

I read that its bad to completely discharge Li-on batteries, so before I left home to go out, I turned off the phone so that the battery would not discharge, when I arrived home a few hours later the battery was dead even though the phone was turned off. (this was the original Samsung battery not the new battery I purchased, I did not try this with the new battery as yet)

I checked the battery usage and compared it to a Galaxy S2 to see what was using up the battery and the OS and Screen usage % seems to be comparable amount to the GS2.

I also tried a few of the Governors that are included with CM7 and also used the wheatly Governor when I was on ICS, but it made no difference.

Can any one help me? Is there something wrong with the phone? I purchased this as a present for someone who really wanted an iPhone because I could not afford an unlocked iPhone and they are really disappointed by this. I know this may be an isolated case, but I always assured the person that the android phone can do everything the iPhone can do, but not I feel like such a fool.

Can this be fixed? I purchased this when I was in the US but now I am away so returning it would be a problem. Is there a way to check if there is something wrong with the phone itself that's causing the battery to drain at such a fast rate?

Any one that can help me I would really appreciate it and be very thankful, I know there are other topics that deal with battery issues, but I have been researching this for about a week and tried everything I can, I didn't just start a new thread without trying.

The screenshot below shows a high display usage because I was using the phone to try to troubleshoot normally android system uses the most and display is closer to 7% but the uptime is the same. Even though it says 3h 51 mins at 48% in the screenshot the battery seems to discharge faster as it percentage goes down.

Can you enter this code and check for battery information:

*#*#4636#*#*

You can check the battery health and temperature. It might give you some insights.

Do you have good reception? Is it constantly trying to connect to 3G networks? Can you check apps which might be trying to connect to Internet all the time? Do you have this problem once you flash a clean rom (or maybe it starts after installing apps)? Have you tried stock ROM?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

You can check other threads also:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1495223

Something might show up on time.