Sim card error

Search This thread

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
I keep getting this error. I went to AT&T store and the game me a new one but error keep happening. Could this just be a software issue?

Hope it's not a hardware issue. uploadfromtaptalk1390011285326.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ssn713

Dec 8, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I keep getting this error. I went to AT&T store and the game me a new one but error keep happening. Could this just be a software issue?

Hope it's not a hardware issue. View attachment 2522954

Had the same issue and went as far as replacing the sim tray but still kept getting the error. Ultimately had to do a warranty replacement.

If you want to have an unlocked (or at least hackable) boot loader you can buy a used one off that's still on MDB/MDL and sell the replacement. Its a huge pita but that's what I ended up doing.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Well I did a factory reset and that didn't help. I guess I need a new phone. I am still having this issue.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
I called AT&T they said I didn't have insurance and the phone was out of warranty. I called Samsung and they want me to send the phone to them. I will today I hope I am not without my phone to long. They did say that it was in warranty.

ssn713

Dec 8, 2011
Honolulu, HI
To the best of my knowledge, AT&T provides a one year warranty against physical defects. S4 came out last May (?) so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd call back and talk to a different rep until you get them to offer a replacement. Having just gone through this about 3 weeks ago, I know it can be done.

The benefit of going through AT&T was that they sent out a replacement up front. I was never completely without a working phone.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
To the best of my knowledge, AT&T provides a one year warranty against physical defects. S4 came out last May (?) so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd call back and talk to a different rep until you get them to offer a replacement. Having just gone through this about 3 weeks ago, I know it can be done.

The benefit of going through AT&T was that they sent out a replacement up front. I was never completely without a working phone.

I did call back and they will not help. I have to go through Samsung as they shipped this S4 to me as a replacement phone that only had 90 day warranty.

Samsung said I have till June for warranty.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Actually I think I fixed it. I pushed the metal housing down a bit and put the sim back in and have not had the issue come back in a few hours.

Should I cancel the RMA with Samsung after a day or two without issue?

ssn713

Dec 8, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I wouldn't cancel just yet. I lived with this issue for about a month before returning it and could sometimes go several days without getting the error while other times I'd be rebooting several times a day. Unfortunately it always came back and seemed to do so at the most inopportune times (in the middle of a call with my boss on one occasion).

By all means wait a few days to see how it goes but I wouldn't hold my breath for a permanent fix short of replacing the phone.

Buzkil

Jan 21, 2014
Sim Card Error

Hope it's not a hardware issue. View attachment 2522954

Gave you a new what, sim card or phone? I had this same issue with my S4, and it was because I had failed to stop the OTA update while rooted. The issue went from intermittent to toatally disabling my phone in a period of about 1 month. After one full week of without phone service due to no sim card found (rebooting no longer worked), I had to unroot and allow the OTA update to MK2 FW. My sim card issue immediately went away.

ssn713

Dec 8, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Gave you a new what, sim card or phone? I had this same issue with my S4, and it was because I had failed to stop the OTA update while rooted. The issue went from intermittent to toatally disabling my phone in a period of about 1 month. After one full week of without phone service due to no sim card found (rebooting no longer worked), I had to unroot and allow the OTA update to MK2 FW. My sim card issue immediately went away.

Not saying that I doubt your results but... after getting the return authorization from at&t, I returned to stock (mdb) and allowed the phone to take the ota to mf3. I then checked for updates and went straight to mk2. Continued to get "sim not installed" error despite having the latest firmware.

Hope the op can replicate your results but it didn't work for me. Maybe the phone gods just hate me.:rolleyes:

Buzkil

Jan 21, 2014
Not saying that I doubt your results but... after getting the return authorization from at&t, I returned to stock (mdb) and allowed the phone to take the ota to mf3. I then checked for updates and went straight to mk2. Continued to get "sim not installed" error despite having the latest firmware.

Hope the op can replicate your results but it didn't work for me. Maybe the phone gods just hate me.:rolleyes:

Turns out it did not work for me like I thought. Went a full week without an error and it started again. The phone gods hate both of us. It appears to be a common issue from the posts I've been reading.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas

They gave me a new sim card.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Just talked to a coworker that had the same phone he too is having this issue. I am just going to send to Samsung. They approved the RMA. I am not sure but with so many having this issue could it be a software glitch?

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Just got the phone back from Samsung. They sent me the same phone back and said they replaced the SIM tray.

Everything is working fine now.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Just received the second phone back and they say they replaced the phone this time. I am not having issues and has been a day now with the new phone.

Just want to see if it is still unlocked as I have the same serial number and IMEI.