YouTube HQ Hack

Search This thread

Bryce2010

Feb 15, 2010
hmm i've followed the directions 3 times but my youtube app still does not default to HQ when i'm not on wifi

reddv1

Sep 16, 2009
Torrance, CA
If you cant use rootexplorer, you can use adb.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

PhantomRampage

May 13, 2008
Wait am i missing something here?
Like, is there a modified youtube.apk i use for these steps or the one that's already installed?

I tried copying the stock youtube app to my sdcard and then following those steps but it didnt do anything, it still doesnt default to hq

reddv1

Sep 16, 2009
Torrance, CA
Wait am i missing something here?
Like, is there a modified youtube.apk i use for these steps or the one that's already installed?

I tried copying the stock youtube app to my sdcard and then following those steps but it didnt do anything, it still doesnt default to hq

Yes there is a modified youtube.apk which is attached to my post on page 2.
Using the stock apk wont change anything.

I attached it again for you on this post

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    789.2 KB · Views: 110

kbiz90

Apr 13, 2010
Here is how you hack YouTube to default into HQ:

1. Put the youtube.apk on your sdcard.
2. Get Root Explorer from the Market.
3. Using Root Explorer, navigate to the sdcard folder and long press on the youtube.apk and click "Move"
4. Navigate to the /system/app folder
5. Click the button up top that says "Remount as R/W"
6. Click the button on the bottom that says "Paste" then confirm overwrite.
7. Now you need to set the permissions on that file: Long press on the youtube.apk and click Permissions. Check User Read and Write, Group Read, and Others Read. Uncheck everything else and click Ok.
7. Click the button up top that says "Remount as R/O"
8. Reboot, you're done

Thanks. Worked like a charm.

MasterBunnyFu

Dec 11, 2008
You do have to be rooted. However, I notice that the hacked apk is version 1.5.19, whilst the one on my phone is 1.5.20. Not sure what changes were in the .20 release, but it'd be nice if we could get the most recent version hacked.

bill1253

Apr 15, 2010
here is the 1.5.20 YouTube.apk with the HQ hack

I used abd push
the c:/MyDocuments is whever you have the YouTube.apk on your computer

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    586.2 KB · Views: 1,569
Last edited:

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna

I used abd push

adb shell
su
sysrw
adb push c:/MyDocuments/YouTube.apk /system/app/YouTube.apk
adb shell
su
sysro
reboot
I pushed it..works, v 1520...but WidgetIcon is a little broken now.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna
YouTube HQ 1.5.20

ok, I fixed it myself...it had a complete different widgeticon size ;)
Now fixed to download :)

Attachments

• YouTube_1.5.20.zip
    550.1 KB · Views: 427

I used abd push

adb shell
su
sysrw
adb push c:/MyDocuments/YouTube.apk /system/app/YouTube.apk
sysro
reboot

I can't get those commands to work i get the error message sysrw: not found. I assume its due to my lack of experience. searches have come up empty.

any idea why this is happening?

reddv1

Sep 16, 2009
Torrance, CA
I can't get those commands to work i get the error message sysrw: not found. I assume its due to my lack of experience. searches have come up empty.

any idea why this is happening?

Try this in adb:

1.adb shell
2.$ su
3.# mount -a -w
4.# cp /system/app/youtube.apk /sdcard/Oldyoutube.apk (this backs up your orginal youtube apk)
5.# rm /system/app/youtube.apk
6.# cp /sdcard/youtube.apk /system/app/youtube.apk (Make sure you have the youtube.apk on your sdcard)
7.# chmod 644 /system/app/youtube.apk (this sets the permissions)

Try this in adb:

1.adb shell
2.$ su
3.# mount -a -w
4.# cp /system/app/youtube.apk /sdcard/Oldyoutube.apk (this backs up your orginal youtube apk)
5.# rm /system/app/youtube.apk
6.# cp /sdcard/youtube.apk /system/app/youtube.apk (Make sure you have the youtube.apk on your sdcard)
7.# chmod 644 /system/app/youtube.apk (this sets the permissions)

I managed to do the file copy after removing some of the steps in the previous post. but didn't set permissions. thanks a lot!

stepinmyworld

Apr 14, 2010
wow

this is just great!!!! thanks so much and the donations will keep coming. i want some nexus one themes though to add to my rooted device. I run sense and cyanogen but they arent really attractive. any themes for the n1 yet?

Aug 24, 2009
Youtube not in app drawer

Ok, let me start out by saying I'm dumb and didn't back up the original youtube.apk.

I'm on a G1 CM 4.2.15.1

The youtube app isn't listed in my app drawer, but I was able to try and start it in gesture search. When clicked, this is what I got in my log:

Code:
04-21 10:45:25.854 I/ActivityManager(  142): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.google.android.youtube/.HomeActivity }
04-21 10:45:25.858 E/GShell  (  643): Activity not found
04-21 10:45:25.858 E/GShell  (  643): android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: Unable to find explicit activity class {com.google.android.youtube/com.google.android.youtube.HomeActivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

Any advice? Or does anyone have the original youtube.apk I can use?
Thanks.

Update: I realized I had a nandroid backup from a few days ago; Youtube is back! I can however confirm that this does not work on the G1.

Last edited:

MilkPudding

Jan 21, 2010
I know it may be a stupid qn but does anyone know if this works on other android phones too? Like MT3G?

Thanks