Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Search This thread

teddykgb715

Jun 9, 2010
1. Sideloading: install "NT Hidden Settings" from Android Market, run it and hit "Unknown Sources Hack".

2. Home screen: install a custom launcher, then install HomeCatcher app (Google for it; you will need to do step 1 because it's an APK file you need to download & install). Then when you press "n" and select "Home" you will be prompted to set your preferred launcher.

I swear I did this, but after trying again this morning it works great. Double press on the N takes me to go launcher now! Nice.

teddykgb715

Jun 9, 2010
So I'm obviously not clear on how all of this works, but can we install CM7 on the 8gb? Can we install CWR?

bignish

Mar 5, 2012
He is the first and only person to create a working root for the 8GB NT.

Please send him something to show your appreciation!

And for those people having a problem, it might be your SD card.

The Nook is really sensitive about card quality.

It also needs a fresh bootable partition to work.

Here's my advice:

Use an SD card reader, cell phone, camera, or something. Do not use the Nook. I used an old cell phone.

Using Windows (I used 32 bit Win7), download and install EASUS Partition Mgr (freeware)

Partition your card in EASUS Partition Mgr with a single 50MB FAT32 partition, name it BOOT, and set it to "active"

When the 50MB partition appears in Windows explorer, drop the files from Jichuan's pack into the directory.

Use the "safely disconnect" icon in the system tray to eject the card. Some say it will keep the card from getting corrupted.

With the Nook powered off, put in the sd card, connect the USB cable to your PC, then hold the N key and the power button til the Nook boots. If you see the Bauwks cardboard box, LET GO of the buttons. If you only see the Nook logo, keep holding it until the Nook shuts off. Then wait about 10 seconds and hold the power button and the N button again.

If you STILL don't see the Bauwks box, you might need to try a different card.

Okay, so I've tried this and everything else and still no box. With this my screen just powers on and off and if I let go of the Power and n buttons I get the question of do I want to power off or do a factory reset.

I am using a brand new 16 Gb class 4 Sandisk. What other card do you suggest? Or what else could possibly be the issue?

teddykgb715

Jun 9, 2010
Okay, so I've tried this and everything else and still no box. With this my screen just powers on and off and if I let go of the Power and n buttons I get the question of do I want to power off or do a factory reset.

I am using a brand new 16 Gb class 4 Sandisk. What other card do you suggest? Or what else could possibly be the issue?

I did not do power and n buttons, just turned it on. His post was the first time I saw that. If you haven't tried just turning it on with everything else the same do that.

EDIT: I also ended up not doing "safely disconnect" FWIW. I just pulled it.

bignish

Mar 5, 2012
I did not do power and n buttons, just turned it on. His post was the first time I saw that. If you haven't tried just turning it on with everything else the same do that.

EDIT: I also ended up not doing "safely disconnect" FWIW. I just pulled it.

Nope, tried that too. I have basically tried everything on here and still nothing. I am the only one with no results so I'm just about ready to give up. Thanks though.

cheddleson

Mar 28, 2011
Nope, tried that too. I have basically tried everything on here and still nothing. I am the only one with no results so I'm just about ready to give up. Thanks though.

Don't give up yet, no results here, either. Just seems to boot right past the sd card. Doesn't seem to matter whether I try to boot while tethered or not...

jichuan89

Nov 16, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
And for those people having a problem, it might be your SD card.

Use an SD card reader, cell phone, camera, or something. Do not use the Nook. I used an old cell phone.

Farleytron is right about cards and card readers. People who still can't get your tablet to boot - perhaps you could try a different card and/or a different card reader? I for one am the owner of a card reader that won't write this image properly.

And @Farleytron - thanks a lot for the warm comments! :)

jichuan89

Nov 16, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
So I'm obviously not clear on how all of this works, but can we install CM7 on the 8gb? Can we install CWR?

Depends on the meaning of "can".

It is certainly possible; theoretically, to boot a ROM for the 16GB NT on the 8GB you should only need to modify the kernel command line in the boot.img of that ROM to accommodate for the difference in memory. However, some mods for the 16GB NT might be using bootloading code from earlier versions of the B&N firmware (1.4.0, 1.4.1 etc) and will therefore need to incorporate the changes from the 1.4.2 firmware to be able to boot on the 8GB. But once booting the kernel is solved, everything else should work without modification.

If you mean whether we can we install CM7/CWM right now, then AFAIK no one's made these modifications for the 8GB NT yet, so no. My personal impression (which is quite possibly wrong) is that all this stuff (CM7, CWM etc) is still experimental (read unstable) even on the 16GB model, and the devs are too busy solving the existing issues on the 16GB versions to start porting it to the 8GB.

Last edited:

pfunk123

Mar 7, 2012
My nook has been "bricked" for the past week and after trying everything and every other method, this one finally powered mine back on. Well thats about all I got it to do but hey its a start. Ive followed the instructions for windows method and get the box and read forever logo, leave it alone for a couple mins but when I power off and try to reboot I get nothing. Tried plugged in plugged out, card in card out and still no go. Much props for the Good Work nonetheless!!!

cheddleson

Mar 28, 2011
I posted earlier about not being able to book from SD, but have just tried the SD version of CM7 with no problems. Does anyone with more knowledge than me have any idea why I can boot an entire operating system from sd, but can't get my Nook to boot these rooting files from SD? Oh yes, I had to be tethered in order to boot CM7...hope I'm not doing anything wrong... and thanks for all your work making the NT a lot better than stock!

yang.joonyong

Dec 29, 2010
cant download anything from market?

Hi,

I have successfully rooted my nook tab (8gb) but I cant seem to download any applications from the market.

Everytime I try to download for example launcher, NT hidden settings, it just says the app can not be downloaded due to an error.

anyone experienced and solved a problem like this?

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

well it eventually just worked itself out but can anyone tell me how to install apk files in nook tab? sorryy

yang.joonyong

Dec 29, 2010
hmm yea I downloaded NT Hidden Setting and clicked the unknown source and I placed the apk file into my sd card and tried using root explorer to install the app but I am getting errors =(

and another thing is, is there anyway to get to android menu so I can activate other keyboards that I download?

Thank you

Farleytron

Mar 2, 2012
Use adb to sideload.

"adb install <path to apk on your windows machine>' with USB debugging on from NT Hidden Settings

jokersone78

Mar 4, 2012
My nook has been "bricked" for the past week and after trying everything and every other method, this one finally powered mine back on. Well thats about all I got it to do but hey its a start. Ive followed the instructions for windows method and get the box and read forever logo, leave it alone for a couple mins but when I power off and try to reboot I get nothing. Tried plugged in plugged out, card in card out and still no go. Much props for the Good Work nonetheless!!!

Im in the same boat my friend but im confident that eventually someone will figure it out.;)

jichuan89

Nov 16, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Im in the same boat my friend but im confident that eventually someone will figure it out.;)

So there can be multiple ways your tablet is "bricked". If you flashed a bad boot partition, your tablet should not boot past the "READ FOREVER" screen (so you won't see the "by Barnes & Noble" animation); in the worst case it will power off right after the initial dark "n" screen. If this is the case, I've made an image that will restore your boot partition.

On the other hand, if you destroyed your /system partition (by itself or the boot partition as well), this won't help you. If this is the case for you, post in this thread and I can make an image that flashes the /system partition as well.

1. Download one of the following depending on your hadware / OS version:
8GB NT/1.4.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?a803src02leyfq7 MD5: 79265f4730a1b0a0131cfb7e64f0d2bb​
16GB NT/1.4.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?pjbmcp7zpw9ciua MD5: 28a44b20ce497bb7a3d43219d344408d​
2. Make a bootable SD card following the instructions in post #1; either option will be fine.
3. Replace boot.img on the SD card with the file you downloaded in step 1; i.e., rename the file from step 1 to boot.img and overwrite boot.img on the SD card from step 2.
4. Power off tablet.
5. Insert SD card into tablet.
6. Connect tablet to computer via USB cable. If tablet does not start automatically press the power button.

In the best case, if you have not destroyed your /system, you should be able to boot back to stock, although it should take a while to boot. Otherwise, reply with your tablet model (16GB/8GB), what you did to brick your tablet and what you see when using this method.

I really do need feedback on this so please post back regardless of whether it worked.

Last edited:

pfunk123

Mar 7, 2012
Ok Ive searched and tried about everything I could of to get my 8gb NT to boot and turn back on. Your method from post 1 by far has gotten me the closest. A day old and I jumped the gun and downloaded "acclaim_update.zip" without even carefully reading. By the time I found out it was not meant for the 8gb, ive already made a card and popped it in the tablet, that was the last time I seen the screen on. Now after trying your root method I can get it powered back on, the cardboard box, and the read forever screen but no further than that.

jichuan89

Nov 16, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Ok Ive searched and tried about everything I could of to get my 8gb NT to boot and turn back on. Your method from post 1 by far has gotten me the closest. A day old and I jumped the gun and downloaded "acclaim_update.zip" without even carefully reading. By the time I found out it was not meant for the 8gb, ive already made a card and popped it in the tablet, that was the last time I seen the screen on. Now after trying your root method I can get it powered back on, the cardboard box, and the read forever screen but no further than that.

Can you try out the method in my previous post (#76)? Can you get into the factory restore interface after 8 failed reboots?

pfunk123

Mar 7, 2012
Ok please correct me if Im wrong, download the file that you attached in your recent post for the 8gb version, the downloaded file "jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb" then needs to be renamed to "boot.img", open win32diskimager and locate "boot.img" and write it to my empty fat32 formatted card?

jichuan89

Nov 16, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Ok please correct me if Im wrong, download the file that you attached in your recent post for the 8gb version, the downloaded file "jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb" then needs to be renamed to "boot.img", open win32diskimager and locate "boot.img" and write it to my empty fat32 formatted card?

NO. Write out the image in post #1, for instance using Win32DiskImager. Eject your SD card, and plug it back in to the computer. Now open up the SD card on your computer and you should see a "boot.img". Replace that file with the file jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb.img. Then eject the card again and put it into your tablet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Updated 3/4/12] Add flashable SD card image
    [Updated 3/5/12] Update instructions to include tethering
    [Updated 4/16/12] Add compatibility warning (as suggested by lavero.burgos) and answers to common questions

Sorry for posting this here -- this is the first time I'm posting on xda-developers and I'm not allowed to post in the dev section.

Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

So ever since I bought the 8GB Nook Tablet last week I've been checking this forum daily to see whether there's a root method that I could use to sideload apps etc.. But it seems that no current root method for the 8GB tablet existed, and I even came across a video showing that none of the current root methods for the 16GB version works on the 8GB.

So when I saw bauwks's updated 2nduboot that allows booting from an SD card, I started poking around to see if I could use that to root the tablet. While bauwks's kernel and ramdisk cannot boot into the stock Nook userland on the 8GB version (it reboots right after the "READ FOREVER" screen), they do allow me to boot into Android's init process, and that's enough to root the tablet and install Android Market. Basically, what I did was package the files I needed as well as a small installer script into bauwks's boot.img.

The result (root + Android market) is demonstrated in this video.

Compatibility

This method is for rooting the stock firmware version 1.4.2 that is shipped with the Nook Table 8GB when you buy one from B&N. It is not supposed to be used with other ROMs such as CM7, nor the Nook Tablet 16GB.

Included

- Root (su + Superuser.apk)
    - Android market

Options

There are two equivalent ways to apply this root method.

1. The first, and easier method is to burn an image to your SD card.

2. The second method is to partition and format your SD card and copy over the files yourself. This latter is more complicated than you think as the SD card must be partitioned and formatted in a very particular (and peculiar) way for it to boot.

Instructions for option 1 - burning a pre-built microSD card image

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
    1. You need a microSD card. The image itself is ~55MB, which means any card above 64MB will work. Backup anything you have on that SD card because THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    2. Download this image. MD5: 1a4f5cb32f09d3003b11aa782fe9566f
    3. Burn downloaded image to microSD card. This page explains how to burn an image on Linux, Mac and Windows. Ignore the Nook Color-specific stuff, don't download the Nookie Froyo image, and replace in the instructions the nookie froyo image with the image you've just downloaded. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    4. Turn off the tablet.
    5. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    6. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    7. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    8. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    9. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

Instructions for option 2 - manual setup

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
    1. Create a 50MB vfat partition with boot and lda flags set, as explained in this video. I followed the instructions on the page referred to by the video at the very beginning.
    2. Download this zip file, and extract contents to root of the 50MB microSD card partition.
    3. Turn off the tablet.
    4. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    5. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    6. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    7. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    8. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

After Rooting

You will not see any visible difference in the interface when the tablet powers back on, nor will your firmware version change, but you should now be rooted. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". For a step-by-step guide on other things you'd probably want to do after you root (e.g., installing 3rd-party .apks, making the "n" button start a custom launcher), check out this thread by RevenantOne.

Common Questions / Problems

Here are some of the common issues people have run into according to this thread. Read this through if you have a question or problem before posting it!

1. Am I rooted? / I did everything correctly, but nothing changed after I reboot!
    If you saw a brown box and then the "READ FOREVER" screen, you are already rooted. There will not be any visible differences in the interface / software version. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". Check out this thread by RevenantOne for other things you probably want to do after you root.​

2. I don't see the brown box screen; instead the tablet just boots up normally.
    There are a number of possibilities:

a. Some people have had better luck combining the files from this method with a root image for the 16GB tablet. Theoretically this could work for everyone, so make sure you do try this one out if your tablet refuses to boot (i.e., you don't see the brown box). Instructions can be found in post #131.

b. Your microSD card may be incompatible. As strange as it may seem, people have posted on this thread that certain microSD cards will simply not work. It appears to be somewhat random which cards work and which don't, so you might have to try out several cards from a different brand or with a different size before you find one that does work.​

3. How to restore the microSD card back to its normal capacity from 50mb?

Disclaimer

Again, this is experimental software. That it worked for me does not mean it will work for you, or that it won't brick your tablet. I am not responsible for any possible damages resulting from using this method.

Credits

Credit goes to:
    - [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4426306"]bauwks
    for his 2nduboot hack (see this thread)
    - Indirect for his root + gapps package (see this thread).
    - Everyone on this thread for posting amazing feedback and a wealth of information and solutions to common problems, and most of all to those of you who donated! It's really appreciated :)
    Which files... If this is not easy to say/show - n'mind.

Code:
    /system/app:
    	CarHomeGoogle.apk
    	GenieWidget.apk
    	GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    	GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleFeedback.apk
    	GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    	GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    	GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    	LatinImeTutorial.apk
    	MarketUpdater.apk
    	MediaUploader.apk
    	NetworkLocation.apk
    	OneTimeInitializer.apk
    	PackageInstaller.apk
    	Superuser.apk
    	Talk.apk
    	Vending.apk
    /system/etc/permissions:
    	com.google.android.maps.xml
    	features.xml
    /system/framework:
    	com.google.android.maps.jar
    /system/lib:
    	libvoicesearch.so
    /system/bin:
    	su
    /system/xbin:
    	busybox
    	su
    Did you happen to try any 3d games out?
    new launcher gone again after I hit the "n" button. any way to relink the button?:mad:

To get back to your custom launcher, you'd have to use the good-ol' search ("n" button -> Search). To permanently switch to your custom launcher as the default launcher, you can install the HomeCatcher app (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1357175). Before you do that though you'd have to enable the installation of APK files (or installation from "unknown sources" - I recommend using the "NT Hidden Settings" app which is available on the Android Market).
    If you have a Nook COLOR I suggest you head over to that sectionand find the root instructions for that device. This is for Nook TABLET!!

Sigh... not the first to to get it wrong and won't be the last. If only people took a few seconds to learn the difference.

Sent from my CM 10 nook. Thanks devs.