Thoughts on the upcoming T-Mobile G4x?

Search This thread

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
Is it really necessary to put a quad core processor in a phone? I feel like there is no way that you could get the full power out of it.

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Is it really necessary to put a quad core processor in a phone? I feel like there is no way that you could get the full power out of it.

Yeah there really isn't. But I guess it only does more good than bad. Maybe it helps in less power consumption.

But either way, I just wish companies would take a year or two off in mobile chip processing R&D and use that money and time in battery technology. Seriously though, that way in no time we'd have 5000 mAH batteries that actually fits in a standard smartphone. We can only wish!

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
Yeah there really isn't. But I guess it only does more good than bad. Maybe it helps in less power consumption.

But either way, I just wish companies would take a year or two off in mobile chip processing R&D and use that money and time in battery technology. Seriously though, that way in no time we'd have 5000 mAH batteries that actually fits in a standard smartphone. We can only wish!

Different companies' abilities. The R&D for electric car batteries is where small high-capacity battery technology will come from which will trickle down to cell phones and other devices. Semiconductor R&D is trying to reduce the size of and connection distance between semiconductor devices to reduce losses caused by resistance (electrical friction) which will reduce energy consumption. Both kinds of R&D are necessary and complement each other.

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH

I couldn't agree with you more. I miss the good ol' days when my old samsung flip phone would last for at least 3 days on a charge with constant texting. If only they could get smartphones to do that... just imagine the excitement it would bring lol!

icecicle04

Apr 24, 2011
just because of the way LG handled the G2x i'm never buying an LG phone again and i'm sure a lot of people who got their phones release day or around it feel the same way

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Different companies' abilities. The R&D for electric car batteries is where small high-capacity battery technology will come from which will trickle down to cell phones and other devices. Semiconductor R&D is trying to reduce the size of and connection distance between semiconductor devices to reduce losses caused by resistance (electrical friction) which will reduce energy consumption. Both kinds of R&D are necessary and complement each other.

I'm off topic here but I will say some interesting reading I did a while back. Its in regards to led and battery life this isn't the exact article but it somewhat explains the tech behind it.

http://www.ecomagination.com/a-bright-idea-solar-powered-lighting-gets-portable

Question is why aren't mobile phone manufacturers using this tech? Answers simple...

On topic: I won't buy another lg phone idgaf what the specs are. I'm tired of BS "open source" that you can't even build. And empty promises of updates and fixes. In all honesty I won't buy any phone unless its a Google flagship device. I said I wouldn't buy another Samsung after my vibrant unless it was a nexus and I meant it. HTC has constant updates and leaks so if I get a non nexus that would be my choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
How they went from g2x's open/unlocked bootloader to the now locked bootloader is even more fail and more reason to kick more dirt LG's way. Hope you decide to get a Samsung phone mack at least they seem to have learned from their mistake from the past, the galaxy s2 is amazing even on sprints network :p (we got the exynos soc compared to the crap qualcomm s3 chip in tmobiles s2 smh)

Reactions: mackster248

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
How they went from g2x's open/unlocked bootloader to the now locked bootloader is even more fail and more reason to kick more dirt LG's way. Hope you decide to get a Samsung phone mack at least they seem to have learned from their mistake from the past, the galaxy s2 is amazing even on sprints network :p (we got the exynos soc compared to the crap qualcomm s3 chip in tmobiles s2 smh)

Haha, yeah man. I'm absolutely getting a Nexus or Samsung next. No way I wanna deal with bootloaders. HTC is kinda tempting too though, but their quality control scares me.

But you know, T-Mobile possibly getting the GNote makes me want it! But I don't want the S3 processor. So I guess I'll wait for the quad core Exynos SGS3. I just hope they don't take half a year to release it in the US like they did with the S2. -_-

But until then I'll try to make this G2x last. BTW, did you try the leaked BB and 2.3.4 ROM? I'm hesitant to upgrade... But battery life has been awful for me lately on any CM ROM.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
Haha, yeah man. I'm absolutely getting a Nexus or Samsung next. No way I wanna deal with bootloaders. HTC is kinda tempting too though, but their quality control scares me.

But you know, T-Mobile possibly getting the GNote makes me want it! But I don't want the S3 processor. So I guess I'll wait for the quad core Exynos SGS3. I just hope they don't take half a year to release it in the US like they did with the S2. -_-

But until then I'll try to make this G2x last. BTW, did you try the leaked BB and 2.3.4 ROM? I'm hesitant to upgrade... But battery life has been awful for me lately on any CM ROM.

If T-Mobile does get the Samsung journal, hopefully they don't get rid of the exynos soc, I'd grab that over the G nex. If u can wait longer for the next galaxy do it, and ya they probably wont release it til end Q3 cuz of how our carriers "must have bloatware" and other tweaks made to make the phone supposeddly better lol

Ya I was finally able to fix my baseband on core memory's v21y kdz thread. I got the latest March BB and the phone seems much improved and snappier. Only flaw, and its a big one, is that weird sound when making a call. So ya I would wait for a fix on that til u decide to flash that kdz file.

Reactions: mackster248

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH

They announced the Galaxy S3 is being unveiled may 3rd, fyi

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
If T-Mobile does get the Samsung journal, hopefully they don't get rid of the exynos soc, I'd grab that over the G nex. If u can wait longer for the next galaxy do it, and ya they probably wont release it til end Q3 cuz of how our carriers "must have bloatware" and other tweaks made to make the phone supposeddly better lol

Ya I was finally able to fix my baseband on core memory's v21y kdz thread. I got the latest March BB and the phone seems much improved and snappier. Only flaw, and its a big one, is that weird sound when making a call. So ya I would wait for a fix on that til u decide to flash that kdz file.

Oh there's a weird sound? I saw that somewhere as well but someone fixed it... I'll try to look for that post again. I think I'll try it, I just know I'll miss CM's features. But for some reason CM has been running kinda bad lately on my G2x. Starting to have a lot of SOD's when I never used to get em, and lags often. Plus battery life has been atrocious. Maybe that new BB is the fix.

And I've never heard of the Galaxy Journal. o_O I must Google that!

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
New baseband is great, getting improved battery life for sure!

Looks like the Journal is heading to Verizon only ATM, but I did see something interesting posted on tmo-news.com :p

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/leaked-android-build-screenshots-show-off-t879-model-number-t-mobile-galaxy-note/

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
True,hopefully our carriers over here in the states dont make it too difficult for Samsung to abide by what changes they want made for us. Else we probaly wont be seeing the US galaxy s3 till fall.

If they don't want to piss america off they would release all of them at the same time lol. But then again, the longer they wait the more S2's they will keep selling. Who knows

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone even thinking about getting this phone after what LG and nvidia did to the g2x deserves whats gonna happen to them in the future. Doubt nvidia will ever change their mind about open sourcing their code for developers. LG made a beast of a phone with the g2x but they failed so hard on software upgrades and their pos lg updater/kdz tool is trash as well.

With as many Android phones there are and coming out soon we all need to make smart choices and show these companies that we want better products, not rushed out incomplete phones just so they can say they were the first dualcore/quadcore out smh.

Looks like the LG x3 will come to the US as the T-Mobile G4x, much like the LG x2 came over as the T-Mobile G2x. Now, I'm excited about the phone, but am extremely cautious with my expectations. The G2x was a calamity and if it wasn't
    for XDA I would have dumped T-Mobile. Today, this is the best phone ever (thanks to Hell's ICS rom) I consistently out perform my friends Galaxy SII's and Galaxy Nexus' (Granted I'm OC'd to 1.4Ghz vs their stock, but hey, that's why I'm on XDA and they are just sheeple phone buyers).

I remember preliminary reviews on the G2x giving it glowing reviews, but when it got to the consumers hands, it was a disaster. I don't think the people who did the reviews know exactly what the definition of review means. When I saw video reviews, the phone had no customer Icons or apps and it looked like someone played with it for about an hour than made a review of it, which would explain the glowing reviews the G2x got from 99% of the "professional" review sites out there.

Me, I want the G4x, I thrive to have a phone with the power of my Transformer Prime, but not with the headaches the G2x started with. I'll read a real reviews posted on XDA or other android forums for 2 months after launch before taking the leap. And hey, with ICS running so fantastically on the G2x, I could wait for T-mo to give a G4x for free on contract renewal.

Just wondering how other G2x owners feel about the G4x? I was considering going with the HTC Tegra 3 phone (The Sensation is getting ICS officially, while LG leaves the G2x dead in the water, thank goodness for community support), due to LG's terrible support of the G2x. Another consideration was to wait for the Krait based phones. Anand did a write up on the architecture and it looks like that Dual-Core can give the Quad-Core Tegra 3 a run for its money. Hey, at least this comes with the latest Android OS, not one 2 versions old (I still can't believe the G2x shipped with Froyo....shudder....)

Thanks for reading, have an excellent day!!!

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/sma...-smartphone-in-the-us-with-stock-android-4-0/
    I don't think I'll be going with another proc that's not willing to open source their drivers. This is my first smartphone (other than a company issued BB). I plan on it lasting me a few more years (I'm old enough to have learned to be able to resist the musthavethelatestandgreatest bug) and I figure whatever the landscape is at the time, I'll be going with a proc manufacturer which plays nicely with open source. The lack of drivers is the only thing impeding this phone from being kickass.
    You can do so much more with the iPhone, development wise than the android! I have had both. I ported gcc to my iPhone can't do that with android.

On my android, I have busybox pro, c4droid(c compiler app), a terminal emulator. I can't use git, make, a true gcc port in my terminal. I was able to port various tools on my iPhone though. I could download and build packages as well. Can't do that with android. Yes I know android is based off of Linux but iPhone is based off of Unix.

Never heard of botbrew though. I am trying to say that from my experience, you can do so much more with the iPhone.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Then what is Linux based on? Unix.

Check botbrew out then, it has git, GCC (complete port, is missing nothing and compiles for arm), wireshark, make, jam, adduser, vim, curl and a lot more. I personally use Linux (Gentoo) on my PC.
    Welp, any hope of me wanting this phone just went out of the window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_b-ASrPoic&feature=g-u-u&context=G284ef7dFUAAAAAAAAAA

At 3:30, locked boot-loaders...

So not only will LG and nVidia not release their source, but it will also have a locked boot-loader lol.

Looks like it's either going to be the SGS3 or HTC One X/S for me.