Proximity sensor issue.

Search This thread

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
I am having an issue with my phone not reacting correctly to the proximity sensor. When I am in call, the screen shuts off when I put the phone to my face like it is supposed to, however when I remove it from my ear the screen doesn't come back on. I tested the sensor with an app called sensor list, and it is without a doubt working correctly. I have a custom kernel installed. Could that be causing my issue, or is the software just bugged?

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
I ordered a new digitizer to replace my mildly scratched one and would like to replace the prox switch while I have it apart. does anyone have any clue where I can get a replacement? Or better yet, what is the exact switch I need. I have an old d1 somewhere, can I Frankenstein that into my rezound to make some abomination?

griffstert

Apr 8, 2012
I recommend testing the sensor itself to rule out whether it is a hardware of a software issue. There are many proximity sensor tester apps in the Play Store.

Edit: NVM, it looks like you already did test it. Disregard this post.

PhantasmRezound

Mar 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.soundcloud.com
This is what part the Elixir app reads on my Rezound; the phone hardware revision B rather than XA if that has any impact (likely not for this simple part, check under the battery to make sure you have a B model phone if you wish):

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334857050741.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334857050741.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: johnwaynegacy

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
I recommend testing the sensor itself to rule out whether it is a hardware of a software issue. There are many proximity sensor tester apps in the Play Store.

Edit: NVM, it looks like you already did test it. Disregard this post.

the op was from a while back, I have since got my sensor to fail the test. Thus I will replace it. I don't want to send my phone in only to be received by someone in a bad mood who will charge me 650 bucks for unlocking my bootloader. And they will send me a refurbished device that will probably have more problems than this one.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
the op was from a while back, I have since got my sensor to fail the test. Thus I will replace it. I don't want to send my phone in only to be received by someone in a bad mood who will charge me 650 bucks for unlocking my bootloader.
Despite the fact that nobody has actually had that happen yet???

So you will void the warranty instead... so if you really break it, you don't have no repair option at all.

And they will send me a refurbished device that will probably have more problems than this one.
This makes more sense... but even then there, it is not 100% you will get a refurbed unit or that you will have problems with what you get.

BTW, my stock unit doesn't turn the display on when you take your face away from the screen. I always have to press one of the volume keys to get the display back on (easier than reaching the power button)

Kennnny1

Aug 23, 2010
My display stays off as well. Does not seem hardware related to me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

cstrife999

Jun 18, 2010
Hermitage
My display stays off as well. Noticed this today when trying to switch to speakerphone. Just press the power button nothing really wrong with it.

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
Despite the fact that nobody has actually had that happen yet???

So you will void the warranty instead... so if you really break it, you don't have no repair option at all.

This makes more sense... but even then there, it is not 100% you will get a refurbed unit or that you will have problems with what you get.

BTW, my stock unit doesn't turn the display on when you take your face away from the screen. I always have to press one of the volume keys to get the display back on (easier than reaching the power button)
I have already had this phone apart and the little green void sticker is already gone.
I guess if everyone is having this same issue, it must be a design flaw. I doubt I will correct it by changing the sensor. The screen is supposed to come back on when you remove the phone from your face, unless that's a software bug in sense.

jazzyjames

Apr 29, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
The real question is does it work in 100% stock Gingerbread no custom anything. If it does work then it could be a app or the kernel if it doesn't work then its hardware.
How is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
The real question is does it work in 100% stock Gingerbread no custom anything. If it does work then it could be a app or the kernel if it doesn't work then its hardware.
How is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

If you look at my op I was on 100% stock gingerbread other than a kernel. If everyone has the same problem, yes it is hardware related, but it is a design flaw. It is unlikely that everyone who posted has a bad proximity sensor.

jazzyjames

Apr 29, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Yes I did read and as you just posted your not on 100% pure stock. You said stock rom, but never said stock ics or gingerbread but like I said best way to test is go 100% stock no mods at all and even go the route of no extra apps, it may seem extreme but its crazy all apps that can cause issues.

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
Here is the real question. Does your screen always go off when you cover the sensor. Mine does not. I have to try several times, and when it finally does turn off, it only sometimes comes back on. other times, I have to press the power button. Who else is experiencing this?

johnwaynegacy

May 25, 2010
I bet a lot of HTC phones have this issue. When I searched the number for this sensor, a lot of their phones came up as results. I think we are all running bugged hardware.

Top Liked Posts