Stock unrooted and bricked? Help

Search This thread

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
So today I had a problem with an app not opening correctly so I rebooted the device. The device was stuck in the kit kat boot sequence. I turned it off and charged it. Tried booting to no avail. So I go into stock recovery mode and wiped cache and then proceeded to wipe/factory reset. It then got stuck on factory reset. I let it sit there on the charger for awhile and it was still stuck on factory reset. So i rebooted to attempt again. Now it won't even go into recovery mode. It'll boot to the fastboot screen but when trying to go into recovery it gets stuck on the white Google logo. Is there anything I can do or do I need to send it back? I bought it in July-ish so it should still be on warranty.

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
It should be easy to restore the stock ROM. Do you have the device drivers installed and a copy of fastboot?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ng-fast-adb-fastboot-and-driver-installation/

Boot your Nexus 7 to the fastboot screen, then connect it to your PC. Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges, cd to the fastboot directory (let me know if you need help here), then type the following commands:

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

This will wipe everything on your Nexus 7, preparing it for a full flash of the stock recovery and ROM. You can download the stock ROM from here, and there's a "flash-all.bat" file inside that will restore recovery and the ROM all by itself.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#razor

Reactions: wildside84

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
It should be easy to restore the stock ROM. Do you have the device drivers installed and a copy of fastboot?

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ng-fast-adb-fastboot-and-driver-installation/

Boot your Nexus 7 to the fastboot screen, then connect it to your PC. Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges, cd to the fastboot directory (let me know if you need help here), then type the following commands:

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

This will wipe everything on your Nexus 7, preparing it for a full flash of the stock recovery and ROM. You can download the stock ROM from here, and there's a "flash-all.bat" file inside that will restore recovery and the ROM all by itself.

when trying any commands in adb it says waiting for device and hangs on that.

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Use adb if your tablet is booted into Android, and use fastboot if you're only at the bootloader.

Do you have the drivers installed? At a command prompt (again must be administrator permissions), type "fastboot devices" and see if it gives a response.

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Use adb if your tablet is booted into Android, and use fastboot if you're only at the bootloader.

Do you have the drivers installed? At a command prompt (again must be administrator permissions), type "fastboot devices" and see if it gives a response.

fastboot devices does nothing. I am in the fastboot directory. I thought I had the drivers installed, but in device manager it shows up as Android with an exclamation mark

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
OK, that explains it. Delete the driver by hitting Del, and just to be safe, click "View" at the top, then select to show hidden devices. Delete anything else that might be for any Android devices. Then install the drivers I linked to. They're generic drivers that work with either Nexus 7 generation, plus other Nexus devices.

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
OK, that explains it. Delete the driver by hitting Del, and just to be safe, click "View" at the top, then select to show hidden devices. Delete anything else that might be for any Android devices. Then install the drivers I linked to. They're generic drivers that work with either Nexus 7 generation, plus other Nexus devices.

ok done now fastboot devices shows something, typed in fastboot erase boot and it says erasing boot...seems like it is stuck on this command

SwoRNLeaDejZ

Aug 13, 2013
Taunton
www.facebook.com
ok done now fastboot devices shows something, typed in fastboot erase boot and it says erasing boot...seems like it is stuck on this command

Couldn't you just try to boot a recovery IMG?

fastboot boot recovery path/to/recovery.img

That will let you run recovery without flashing it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Pro

x32AD8E.png

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Erasing boot shouldn't take too long. Hopefully the partition isn't damaged.

SwoRNLeaDejZ, I believe he couldn't get into recovery. For problems like this, I like to erase recovery and everything else anyway, especially since flash-all.bat will restore stock recovery as part of the process.

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Erasing boot shouldn't take too long. Hopefully the partition isn't damaged.

SwoRNLeaDejZ, I believe he couldn't get into recovery. For problems like this, I like to erase recovery and everything else anyway, especially since flash-all.bat will restore stock recovery as part of the process.

no commands work. on erase recovery command it says failed command write failed invalid argument

edit: fastboot boot recovery fails also "command write failed unknown error"

edit: i get a lot of fastboot.exe has stopped working errors on windows. redownloaded platform tools and still happens. I'm at a loss I guess I have to get Google to replace it entirely

Last edited:

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
I may have taken something for granted. Did you unlock the bootloader?

fastboot oem unlock

no and whats funny is I just got done trying that before i read your message. i restarted the device and my computer and just decided to see if it would dirty flash the flash-all.bat and it was actually going through not giving the write errors but did say bootloader is locked. so i typed fastboot oem unlock and the screen popped up on the device to say yes or no. i selected yes and it, again, got stuck for 10-15 minutes on erasing data...rebooted the device, unlock appears to have failed. argh :eek:

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
If you power down and reboot back into the bootloader, it still says unlocked? What if you try unlocking again?

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
I've never seen it take very long. Let it sit for a while, maybe plug it in and just wait?

ill let it sit, but i think there is something wrong with the device. i had a similar prob with a gs2 and it wouldnt erase or write anything to partition. would usb debugging have to have already been enabled? i cant remember if that was checked or not. or does that matter?

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
USB debugging is necessary for connecting once the tablet has booted into Android, but it isn't needed for fastboot and the bootloader level. At this point I fear there's more corruption than can be fixed, but let's wait a little while and see. :(

wildside84

Nov 4, 2011
Las Vegas
USB debugging is necessary for connecting once the tablet has booted into Android, but it isn't needed for fastboot and the bootloader level. At this point I fear there's more corruption than can be fixed, but let's wait a little while and see. :(

Just received an email from Google support. They are unwilling to help because I purchased the device from Best Buy rather than Google Play...WTH? Best Buy won't help either I won't even bother. At this point I'll have to hope Asus will take it in for repair. That kind of bummed me out about Google. Not sure if I want to buy another nexus device again now.

VerlyAnanda

Dec 26, 2013
Cimahi
no commands work. on erase recovery command it says failed command write failed invalid argument

edit: fastboot boot recovery fails also "command write failed unknown error"

edit: i get a lot of fastboot.exe has stopped working errors on windows. redownloaded platform tools and still happens. I'm at a loss I guess I have to get Google to replace it entirely

use usb jig and flash via odin nice work :good:

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Just received an email from Google support. They are unwilling to help because I purchased the device from Best Buy rather than Google Play...WTH? Best Buy won't help either I won't even bother. At this point I'll have to hope Asus will take it in for repair. That kind of bummed me out about Google. Not sure if I want to buy another nexus device again now.

Is Google writing the book "How Not to Stand Behind Your Product"? Sheesh!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck and speedy repairs to you. I must admit that with the touchscreen problems, and that it took someone who isn't a Google employee to fix it for a lot of people, all while Google is still silent, I myself don't care to buy another product by Google and/or Asus.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

use usb jig and flash via odin nice work :good:

Odin is for Samsung devices, unless something's happened I didn't hear about.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase userdata

I may have taken something for granted. Did you unlock the bootloader?

fastboot oem unlock
    I've never seen it take very long. Let it sit for a while, maybe plug it in and just wait?