[Q] A real brick? Can not mount system

Search This thread

JamesShall

Jul 8, 2014
Hello all -
I have been toying with this gen 1 (maybe 2... not sure) off and on for about half a year now.

The device used to work great and was running stock OS. One day it just gave up the ghost. My daughter was using it and it would not start up into the OS. When starting the device, it would load the yellow Kindle Fire screen and just hang indefinitely.

Using a factory USB cable, I was able to use KFU and get TWRP loaded.
Within TWRP I can see the SD card (contains ".android" and "TWRP" folders) and even load files from the PC to the SD card.
When I go up levels, I can see what I think to be the OS directories, but none of them seem to contain any files.
One of the folders is named 'system' so I have a good feeling this is the OS.

However, I am not able to mount the system nor the data partitions within TWRP.

On my PC I can explore the device and I can see the SDcard perfectly fine, but no system or data.

What I would like to do is just reload the stock OS back on.
I have loaded the latest Amazon update to the SD card and tried to install it.
Near instantly, the TWRP screen says that it can't find directories and it fails/stops.

I have tried every button in TWRP for fixing permissions, wiped system, cache, etc. (everything cleared), resetting everything etc etc.
To no avail, I still can't get the system to mount.
I do encounter an error when fixing permissions as it fails every time. It says it can't fix permissions and wants me to try again after booting a ROM. (whatever that means?).
I have also tried using adb shell to force the device to reboot into fastload and then load the OS update.
I was able to get the latest TWRP loaded this way, but could not get the OS to go.... again, it can't find the directories.

Currently, when I start up the device I get a blue logo screen and can get into TWRP. If I go to boot normally, it continues to the stock yellow logo, dims, and freezes.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Hello all -
I have been toying with this gen 1 (maybe 2... not sure) off and on for about half a year now.

The device used to work great and was running stock OS. One day it just gave up the ghost. My daughter was using it and it would not start up into the OS. When starting the device, it would load the yellow Kindle Fire screen and just hang indefinitely.

Using a factory USB cable, I was able to use KFU and get TWRP loaded.
Within TWRP I can see the SD card (contains ".android" and "TWRP" folders) and even load files from the PC to the SD card.
When I go up levels, I can see what I think to be the OS directories, but none of them seem to contain any files.
One of the folders is named 'system' so I have a good feeling this is the OS.

However, I am not able to mount the system nor the data partitions within TWRP.

On my PC I can explore the device and I can see the SDcard perfectly fine, but no system or data.

What I would like to do is just reload the stock OS back on.
I have loaded the latest Amazon update to the SD card and tried to install it.
Near instantly, the TWRP screen says that it can't find directories and it fails/stops.

I have tried every button in TWRP for fixing permissions, wiped system, cache, etc. (everything cleared), resetting everything etc etc.
To no avail, I still can't get the system to mount.
I do encounter an error when fixing permissions as it fails every time. It says it can't fix permissions and wants me to try again after booting a ROM. (whatever that means?).
I have also tried using adb shell to force the device to reboot into fastload and then load the OS update.
I was able to get the latest TWRP loaded this way, but could not get the OS to go.... again, it can't find the directories.

Currently, when I start up the device I get a blue logo screen and can get into TWRP. If I go to boot normally, it continues to the stock yellow logo, dims, and freezes.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949372

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Also I dont think mounting system and data to pc from recovery actually works. Just drop a Rom on to your sdcard do a full wipe and flash it. Before you reboot select mount you dont have to be connected to pc make sure there are no checks in the boxes of system and data if so uncheck them then select reboot system.

JamesShall

Jul 8, 2014

I give this a try. I wasn't able to do the first part with resetting the partition tables so wend to where it gets set it into recovery mode and moved on.
Everything worked from adb shell.

I went back to the KF, mounted the SD card.
Downloaded a new update for the KF from Amazon and renamed it from bin to zip.
Copied it to the KF SDcard. Verified the KF was in bootmode 5000 and tried to install.
No dice - errors.

I tried downloading the update through KFU. Pushing that update through ADB to the SDcard. TWRP factory reset and tried install.
No dice - errors.
Skips MD5 check.and then rattles this out:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" | |
E:unknown command [err_string]
getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" | |
E: unknown command [err_string]
E:Error executing updated binary in zip '/sdcard/update.zip'

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
If it's a kindle fire 2, it maybe bricked.
How is it listed in device manager?

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

if it is a kindle Fire 1, TRWP 2.2.2.1 or lower is needed to install a stock update.zip

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

just try my [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only
with the twrp you have.
download update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip
mount>sd card>check sd card>mount usb
copy update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip to sd card
unmount sdcard
select install> select update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip >swipe to confirm
wipe cache>back>reboot

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I give this a try. I wasn't able to do the first part with resetting the partition tables so wend to where it gets set it into recovery mode and moved on.
Everything worked from adb shell.

I went back to the KF, mounted the SD card.
Downloaded a new update for the KF from Amazon and renamed it from bin to zip.
Copied it to the KF SDcard. Verified the KF was in bootmode 5000 and tried to install.
No dice - errors.

I tried downloading the update through KFU. Pushing that update through ADB to the SDcard. TWRP factory reset and tried install.
No dice - errors.
Skips MD5 check.and then rattles this out:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" | |
E:unknown command [err_string]
getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" | |
E: unknown command [err_string]
E:Error executing updated binary in zip '/sdcard/update.zip'
Your error is due to the fact that your trying to flash blaze with an otter recovery it's totally normal new recoveries don't like old updater scripts.
The updater script in sd_shadow 's zip is modified to avoid that error. When flashing stock use cannibal open touch recovery it will not give you this error just make sure you wipe cache, dalvik, data and system prior to flashing update.zip. It's not a good idea anyway wipes your recovery and bootloader anyway, I would choose to keep those intact.

JamesShall

Jul 8, 2014

So I've tried this 3 times now with no luck.
The first time I tried, I got through the TWRP text saying it was doing some stuff, doing more stuff, thanks to 2 people.
Then it went to the Teamwin screen and every few seconds that screen would blink. Eventually the screen went to sleep and pressed the power button once and the teamwin screen was still there.... so I left it alone for about 5 minutes.
After waiting, I held down the power button and restarted the KF.

Round 2.
Wiped everything and sent over a new copy of the ROM.
This time it got to the teamwin screen and after about 30 seconds of blinking, it went black - completely off. Seconds later the blinking teamwin screen came back in all of it's glory. After more blinking, the screen turned black, not off because pixels were still lit up, but black. Power button was blinking red very slowly. Waited... waited... held down the power button and restarted. Still operated with no OS booting up.

Round 3 - exactly like round 1.

Round 4 - Everything the same, but this time I noticed the lit black screen turned off and came back on. Then it just stays lit.... no power button color either.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
When you enter recovery go to setting disable screen timeout that will save you some hassle.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks - I had the slider adjusted, but totally overlooked the button for disable.

I downloaded COT
Cannibal Open Touch Recovery 2.1.3
for 600 X 1024.

I found the recovery and boot img files it needs from an unpacked update.

Does it really need CWM installed? Or will TWRP get the job done?
If your gonna flash update.zip make sure it's not update.zip.zip cotr will flash it wipe everything except your sdcard first. If your gonna flash sd_shadow zip the twrp you are using will work.
This http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2025793 Use kfu to download it fast boot to install or just select reboot bootloader and use kfu to send it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesShall

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Thanks! Got it on there. I tried it from KFU, but it didn't take.
I believe that the link KFU used is dead.
The img you provided worked!
That link for COT wasn't COTR and I got absolutely nowhere with it. Waste of time.
Great
For the future i made a zip version of COTR that can b installed from TWRP zip-Cannibal-Open-Touch-Recovery-2.1.zip and I verified that my update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip installs correctlly in COTR also.

Reactions: Thepooch

JamesShall

Jul 8, 2014
Great
For the future i made a zip version of COTR that can b installed from TWRP zip-Cannibal-Open-Touch-Recovery-2.1.zip and I verified that my update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip installs correctlly in COTR also.

Well...
windows no longer allows me to look at the SD card after changing over to COTR.
Same goes with KFU and ADB devices.
I verified the driver and SDK files are still edited correctly.
Device manager still sees when the KF is attached and I get the sound of connect and disconnecting from Windows.

In storage management I have tried everything.

So, I can't send over another 'update.zip' of Amazon image.

I still have the prerooted 6.3.3.zip on the SD - so I tried to install it.
COTR has a status bar fr the installation.
When it gets about 1/4 of the way, it errors saying it can't find some signatures. I get the option to continue anyway so I go ahead.
does stuff.
does more stuff.
- takes a long nap
Thanks 2 people.
- status bar goes to about 3/4 of the way and.... stops doing anything.

Round 2!
Same thing, but this time it made it. Install complete!
Only thing different is that I unplugged from the PC while it was taking it's nap after doing more stuff.

KF is now looking for a WiFi network.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE HELP!!!! :good::good::good:

Top Liked Posts