SetCPU and overclocking

Search This thread

luigic81

Nov 27, 2010
well sorry to resurrect this thread lol

But I just installed the latest version of setcpu on my tab "2.1.1a" and I'm running caulkins rom with the latest clemsyn kernel.

I know we cant OC yet, but anything worth setting up in setcpu yet? min/max? profiles? etc?

vsc

Mar 3, 2006
I know we cant OC yet, but anything worth setting up in setcpu yet? min/max? profiles? etc?

No. Nothing. The Nvidia kernel code ignores scheduler profiles, etc all in the name of their own optimization for power efficiency. And from what I can tell they do an excellent job of CPU clock and voltage management, as well as when to fire up the second core.

To be honest I have spent more than a few hours working to unravel their (mess) to enable overclocking, but the issue is made more complex by their efforts to minimize RF interference (e.g. EMC with respect to the tablet and receivers around the tablet)....

Perhaps a few words dropped here will help someone else. Turning up the max clock for the CPU SKU is ultimately vetoed by the EMC code and at times temperature management. An option is simply disabling much of this via conditionals that are present in the drivers. But in the end unless the CPU can be overclocked more than a minor amount, this is an overall waste of time as the net result is nothing more than benchmark bragging rights, etc.

h3llphyre

Dec 25, 2010
No. Nothing. The Nvidia kernel code ignores scheduler profiles, etc all in the name of their own optimization for power efficiency. And from what I can tell they do an excellent job of CPU clock and voltage management, as well as when to fire up the second core.

To be honest I have spent more than a few hours working to unravel their (mess) to enable overclocking, but the issue is made more complex by their efforts to minimize RF interference (e.g. EMC with respect to the tablet and receivers around the tablet)....

Perhaps a few words dropped here will help someone else. Turning up the max clock for the CPU SKU is ultimately vetoed by the EMC code and at times temperature management. An option is simply disabling much of this via conditionals that are present in the drivers. But in the end unless the CPU can be overclocked more than a minor amount, this is an overall waste of time as the net result is nothing more than benchmark bragging rights, etc.

The Xoom has been overclocked to 1.5Ghz, so there is quite a bit of headroom in there for overclocking.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
For those of us who aren't familiar with the overclocking process, could someone please tell us which one of all those files to get and do what?

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
For those of us who aren't familiar with the overclocking process, could someone please tell us which one of all those files to get and do what?

on the blog post? flash the file according to the OS version you have.

You'll want to grab either froyo (no _gb in filename) or gingerbread (_gb in filename), under ViewSonic Gtablet/Malata Zpad (first section of downloads).

then follow what it says regarding setcpu (making the proper selection in setcpu to get the frequencies).

Reactions: gunsjoe and Mantara

Lisa21222

Mar 24, 2011
Can't overclock CPU?

Obviously I did something wrong... I installed SetCPU as I would any other APK file. I then booted into recovery (Clockwork) and installed the kernel (zip) that had "gb" in the name as I am running the VeganTab Ginger Edition.

When I start SetCPU, I identify my device as "Tegra2" and approve permissions after verifying that the "Remember" box is checked.

I am being offered a maximum speed of 1000 and a minimum of 216. The slider (for the 1000) is as far to the right (high end) of the slider as it will go. I tried a reboot, and went throught he SetCPU options again, but I get the same result.

Can someone shoot some advice my way? I got the GPad from the Woot sale a few weeks back, and just ordered a "spare" from Amazon. I also have the Archos 70 350GB version and a Droid2, the FIRST of which I picked up in February, so I am still sort of new to Android, although I am not new to computers. Let's just say I pre-date Windows (which is why flashing the ROM didn't seem like a big deal... just like flashing a BIOS).

Last edited:

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
Obviously I did something wrong... I installed SetCPU as I would any other APK file. I then booted into recovery (Clockwork) and installed the kernel (zip) that had "gb" in the name as I am running the VeganTab Ginger Edition.

When I start SetCPU, I identify my device as "Tegra2" and approve permissions after verifying that the "Remember" box is checked.

I am being offered a maximum speed of 1000 and a minimum of 216. The slider (for the 1000) is as far to the right (high end) of the slider as it will go. I tried a reboot, and went throught he SetCPU options again, but I get the same result.

Can someone shoot some advice my way? I got the GPad from the Woot sale a few weeks back, and just ordered a "spare" from Amazon. I also have the Archos 70 350GB version and a Droid2, the FIRST of which I picked up in February, so I am still sort of new to Android, although I am not new to computers. Let's just say I pre-date Windows (which is why flashing the ROM didn't seem like a big deal... just like flashing a BIOS).

please read the blog post.

all instructions are there on how to attain the higher frequencies.

coolestmage

Feb 8, 2010
springfield, mo
You need to select custom under device instead of tegra 2. This will allow you to use the slots above 1ghz. Just open setcpu and then hit settings, device, then custom at the bottom of the list.

kraftwerksfit

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like its a little buggy with all those error messages as known issues. Maybe we will see these overclock speeds being put into roms once its sorted?:D

Can anyone comment on how often they see the error messages if setcpu is left to overclock only as needed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wrong section.

At any rate, I'm sure once coolbho3000 puts his overclock code in github, the kernel devs around here may be able to get these puppies overclocked as well. The difference being that the Xoom as a .36 based kernel as where we are still running .32 based kernels, so there is just as much chance that it doesn't port.

When posting, think of the content and context. This thread is about an app. But this section is for Guides, Kernels, and ROMs to be released. I know this section is where most folks spend most or all of their timing reading/posting, but there are 4 sections for a reason, to keep content organized and relevant. Let's help the mods do that by posting in the appropriate section.

Am I missing something? Isn't this in the general section?

Why do there seem to be so many self imposed forum police these days? Seems like half the posts I see are people *****ing at the op

on the blog post? flash the file according to the OS version you have.

You'll want to grab either froyo (no _gb in filename) or gingerbread (_gb in filename), under ViewSonic Gtablet/Malata Zpad (first section of downloads).

then follow what it says regarding setcpu (making the proper selection in setcpu to get the frequencies).
    I never have the right device!

Im gonna wait till the wifi only xoom comes out, but what are the odds the Gtab will get an OC?
    This thread is full of fail, can we just burn it ceremonially?