[Q] How do I watch a Video on my Rooted Tab from Phone?

Search This thread

Homeuser66

Sep 23, 2011
Connceticut
Hello, I'm not sure where I should post this, so forgive me if it's in the wrong area. If it is, can a moderator move it to the proper place please. Thanks!

Going forward to my question. I have an AT&T (SGH-I377) Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (un-rooted) running Kit-Kat 4.4.2.
I also have an AT&T (SGH-497) Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Rooted with just SU no custom ROM), running Jelly Bean 4.1.2

I have DirecTV GenieGo on both devices. My Watch list plays perfectly fine on my Phone. Since my Tablet is Rooted, I can't play any videos because I'm Rooted. The show would load, start to buffer then crash. I have tried RootCloak and RootCloak Plus, none of which will allow me to watch my programs. I have posted in that section for help, but its a dead post (told by the OP of that post). All I want to do, is somehow, play my watch list on my Phone and mirror it on my tablet.

Is this at all possible? Would I need to get some sort of transfer cable?

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
I don't really have an answer for why root cloak isn't working, but if you're looking for suggestions for a cable, there are many to choose from- just research which will meet your needs better (ie usb otg, micro-to-micro hdmi, etc). You can also try wireless (bt, nfc, beam). I wonder if there's a way to disable the drm protection in the genie app itself... have you looked for a modified apk? It's possible someone has had the same issue & found a workaround. You'd have to look & find out.

Edited to add, have you tried disabling superuser/supersu temporarily, to see if the app will work? In theory, disabling supersu temporarily would essentially be disabling root access temporarily. The files needed for root would still be in the system, but if su is disabled, root access is also disabled.

Last edited:

Homeuser66

Sep 23, 2011
Connceticut
I don't really have an answer for why root cloak isn't working, but if you're looking for suggestions for a cable.

Thanks for the reply!
I did find a modified apk. It loads when using root cloak. But when it starts buffering, it crashes. I've spoken to the IP and he did it was dead. So now in looking for another way around it. I can play a show on my phone, using the GenieGo app, but I can't share it or mirror my screen onto another device. I'm looking to see if there are other ways to do this I can connect the two devices by wifi, Bluetooth, but the problem is when I launch DirecTV genie go, it only plays on my phone, no option to share or send. If I have to do wired, then so be it..

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
Sucks the modified apk didn't work :/ I do hope you find a working solution, and I will keep an eye out to see if I find a solution as well. Good luck!

Homeuser66

Sep 23, 2011
Connceticut
You're welcome! I just wish I could have provided a solution that works for you, although I'm sure there's a way- there must be! :)

Thanks again....here's an update, I contacted Samsung and here is what transpired, long story short, I can't do what I want to do..... :crying:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Aegus'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125601239844X
Aegus: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hi, do you know anything about the Note 2 and the Tab 2 10.1?
Aegus: Yes. Sure please go ahead with your question.
Visitor: I have DirecTV GenieGo installed on my Phone, but I want to view the movies/shows on my tablet. How do I share that on the tablet screen?? is there an app or something? do I have to use an HDMI cable?
Aegus: I understand that you want to stream phone's videos on Tablet by connecting the phone to Tablet. Is that correct?
Visitor: yes
Aegus: Thank you for confirming.
Aegus: I will provide you with the information
Aegus: May I know the model number of your device? You can find it under Apps>> Settings>> About device>> Model number. It generally starts with SGH or SCH or SPH or SM or GT.
Visitor: np
Visitor: ok..phone is sgh-i317 and tablet is sgh-i497
Aegus: Thank you for providing the model numbers.
Visitor: phone is running 4.4.2 and tab is 4.2 I think...Ill have to run into other room and get it if you want
Aegus: I should inform you that there is no such App or Settings on the phone or Tablet to stream video files by connecting the phone to Tab.
Aegus: Thank you for the details.
Visitor: I kinda figured that out already...lol...so I
Visitor: am asking you for help now...
Visitor: I can share my docs and other stuff, but not mirror the device so to speak
Aegus: I understand your concern. However, there is no such option to connect the phone to Tab using HDMI cable. I understand. We can transfer data by using Bluetooth feature however we cannot screen share.
Visitor: I also can stream to my samsung tv, but that don't help me when Im not home...the whole purpose to have geniego...lol
Visitor: ohh...so there is no way?
Visitor: at all?
Aegus: Yes, we can connect phone to Smart TV using HDMI cable
Aegus: However, we cannot connect phone to Tablet to stream videos.
Aegus: I would have surely helped you if I had such option available from our end.
Visitor: ok...thanks!..