[HOW TO][ALL VARIANTS][19/11/ Gain root, custom recovery, prep for modding on your S5

Search This thread

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
Gaining root and recovery on your S5
As you know, the S5 development community has been booming these last few days, turned out i found a guy with the device(@leoaudio13), so we were able to help gain root from CF and a working custom recovery from @PlayfulGod, in addition to these i made a version of my app to backup the EFS for this device and add support to my rom kitchen for this device.
So lets cut the crap.
This is an extremely easy procedure.
Recovery
Step 1. Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC
Step 2. Download Odin 3.07 on your PC
Step 3. Download an ODIN flashable recovery for your device onto your PC
Step 4. Open odin, click the PDA button, navigate to the recovery file(tar file) you just downloaded, MAKE SURE only F. Reset Time and Auto reboot are selected.
Step 5. Boot into download mode(hold the menu button and volume down button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
Step 6. When you see that odin detects your device(a colored indicator will turn on) click start
Root
Step 1. Go into settings and enable installation of apps from unknown sources(settings>security>tick unknown sources)
Step 2. Go to https://towelroot.com/ and tap the brown lambda symbol to download towelroot app
Step 3. After download completes open the file, the android package installer will appear, press install
Step 4. Open the Towelroot app and press the "make it ra1n" button
Step 5. Enjoy your rooted S5
Backup device
Step 1. Boot into recovery(hold the menu button and volume up button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
Step 2. Select the backup button and confirm backup
Backup EFS
Step 1. Download my app the Samsung Tool onto your device
Step 2. Install it as a normal app
Step 3. Open the app and grant root
Step 4. Select backup EFS, choose what storage to backup to, and start backup(will be in the storage of your choice in a folder called "SamsungTool")
CREDITS
@leoaudio13 - Leaked device
@Chainfire - Root
@Geohot - towleroot
@PlayfulGod - Being as his name states and building a working recovery
@ricky310711(me) - Samsung tool app and supporting S5 in my kitchen

Last edited:

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Is the 900F the general international model?
On Kogan they stated their will be shipping the G900, not specifying any letter, so i am wondering what the differences are.

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
not sure if it will be the int' version, my guess is either g900f or g900d

gsmarena posted this list, don't know how accurate it is or if i should take it seriously or not :S

Samsung SM-G900F/SM-G900H - for Europe
Samsung SM-G900I - for Asia
Samsung SM-G900K/G900L/G900S - for Korea
Samsung SM-G900M - for Vodafone
Samsung SM-G900A - for AT&T
Samsung SM-G900T - for T-Mobile
Samsung SM-G900V - for Verizon
Samsung SM-G900R4 - for US Cellular
Samsung SM-G900P - for Sprint

Reactions: cybersax6540

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
gsmarena posted this list, don't know how accurate it is or if i should take it seriously or not :S

Samsung SM-G900F/SM-G900H - for Europe
Samsung SM-G900I - for Asia
Samsung SM-G900K/G900L/G900S - for Korea
Samsung SM-G900M - for Vodafone
Samsung SM-G900A - for AT&T
Samsung SM-G900T - for T-Mobile
Samsung SM-G900V - for Verizon
Samsung SM-G900R4 - for US Cellular
Samsung SM-G900P - for Sprint

could you link me to the thread? :)

Reactions: annoying_pianist

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
I don't have S5 yet, but as potential buyer i have 2 questions for those who flashed custom recovery or kernel and rooted their S5:

1) Does fingerprint scanner function work with custom status and knox warranty void=0x1?

2) Do you see red message on top left corner of initial boot screen (something like KERNEL/RECOVERY SECURITY CHECK FAIL) if you flash custom kernel or recovery?
(With custom recovery you may see this message only when you boot into recovery).

Hobbes2099

Nov 12, 2010
Mexico City
SM-G900M also LA

Just unboxed my S5 for Mexico's Telcel carrier; G900M is for Vodafone and apparently Latin America (hence LA).
Can't find anything online about rooting this model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-09-23-25-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-23-25-15.png
    204 KB · Views: 5,685

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gaining root and recovery on your S5
    As you know, the S5 development community has been booming these last few days, turned out i found a guy with the device(@leoaudio13), so we were able to help gain root from CF and a working custom recovery from @PlayfulGod, in addition to these i made a version of my app to backup the EFS for this device and add support to my rom kitchen for this device.
    So lets cut the crap.
    This is an extremely easy procedure.
    Recovery
    Step 1. Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC
    Step 2. Download Odin 3.07 on your PC
    Step 3. Download an ODIN flashable recovery for your device onto your PC
    Step 4. Open odin, click the PDA button, navigate to the recovery file(tar file) you just downloaded, MAKE SURE only F. Reset Time and Auto reboot are selected.
    Step 5. Boot into download mode(hold the menu button and volume down button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
    Step 6. When you see that odin detects your device(a colored indicator will turn on) click start
    Root
    Step 1. Go into settings and enable installation of apps from unknown sources(settings>security>tick unknown sources)
    Step 2. Go to https://towelroot.com/ and tap the brown lambda symbol to download towelroot app
    Step 3. After download completes open the file, the android package installer will appear, press install
    Step 4. Open the Towelroot app and press the "make it ra1n" button
    Step 5. Enjoy your rooted S5
    Backup device
    Step 1. Boot into recovery(hold the menu button and volume up button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
    Step 2. Select the backup button and confirm backup
    Backup EFS
    Step 1. Download my app the Samsung Tool onto your device
    Step 2. Install it as a normal app
    Step 3. Open the app and grant root
    Step 4. Select backup EFS, choose what storage to backup to, and start backup(will be in the storage of your choice in a folder called "SamsungTool")
    CREDITS
    @leoaudio13 - Leaked device
    @Chainfire - Root
    @Geohot - towleroot
    @PlayfulGod - Being as his name states and building a working recovery
    @ricky310711(me) - Samsung tool app and supporting S5 in my kitchen
    For those continually asking if CF root will work for 900a and 900v (ATT & VERIZON), No cf root will not work with locked bootloader, also no custom recoveries can be flashed to these to variants ATM. Samsung for the last year has really locked down device on these two carriers, the best anyone should expect on these two variants is for a exploit based root (not currently available) with safestrap.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

im working on an exploit.
    You are assuming secure bootloader is connected to knox.......I don't think this is the case.......I don't know *exactly* how this new bootloader is different, but I DO know that once installed, it removes the vulnerability that towelroot took advantage of, and makes any further attempts at towelrooting impossible.
    See this thread.......
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2843044
    Posts 625 to 641 for details.....

Sent from my rooted kn0x0 stocKK SM-G900F S5

Thanks for the post#'s. I was interested in this because I support many devices and wanted to be aware of any possible new enhancements to Samsung Knox. And yes, secured boot is part of knox: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...er/2013/06/Samsung_KNOX_whitepaper_June-0.pdf

Also, you someohow missed subsequent posts in that same thread where it was confirmed that you can downgrade from 5.0 to a "towelroot-able" firmware version and re-root. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59147920&postcount=659

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Im starting to doubt that there will ever be a root method for Lollipop that doesn't trip KNOX, and if I should just bite the bullet and CF Root it

Does that even work with BOB7? Ive read a few people saying not

Unfortunately there seems to be alot of misinformation in this thread. You can use MobileOdin Pro to flash a stock, pre-rooted 5.0 ROM(not 5.0 firmware) to achieve rooted 5.0 while keeping the knox warranty flag at (0x0). I have two threads for two different S5 variants doing this as we speak. If you do not have a 100% stock, pre-rooted ROM available I can put one together.

EDIT - Here are the steps to follow:

Prerequisites: You can begin this process from any previous Build/ROM but you must already have root and MobileOdin Pro installed.

1. Place the G900F_OB7_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM onto your ext-sdcard.
    2. Using MobileOdin Pro select the ROM from the "OTA/Zip" option.
    3. Uncheck "Everoot", "Inject SuperSu", and "Inject Mobile Odin."
    4. Under "After flash" select "Reboot to Download Mode" then press "Flash firmware."
    5. Once the flash is complete and you are in Download Mode flash the G900F_OB7_Stock_Partitions using Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+). Done!

Notes:
    1. This process will not affect your knox warranty flag.
    2. The above process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OB7.
    3. If you are currently unrooted and on a non-"Towelroot-able" firmware version you must first a)downgrade to G900FXXU1ANE2 using Odin, b)root using Towelroot, c)install MobileOdin Pro, then continue with the above process.
    Is there a method to root on this model and build though?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

if you downgrade to an older rom you can root with Toweltoot and it won`t trip KNOX, this build you have can be rooted but you need a older kernel extracted from an older rom and it should be repacked as a .tar or md5 file to flash it with Odin. Root the device and flash the repacked kernel of the newest rom with Odin.
    Downgrading is easier to be honest.