NOOK Tablet Hardware but totally independent Android

Search This thread

uflibra

Jan 4, 2012
Beijing
While considering good hardware of Nook Tablet within this price range, i was wondering if it is possible to completely washout B&N stuff from it and use just NT hardware but own custom android? I think, even now, when it is rooted, it still use B&N ROM and when it is reset to factory defaults, it will have B&N's factory sw. however, is it possible that even with restore to factory defaults lead the NT to the custom android os (as it was fresh installed).
i think for this we will need to modify kernel? or other than kernel, is there some other firmwares installed inside the device which communicate with the existing kernel? and if there exist, can those be also customized, flashed the custom firmware?

thanks.

miniblue

Sep 5, 2010
The Woodlands, Texas
Please do a little research in this forum before you ask questions.

There are two different ways to accomplish what you want. Indirect and Snowball. Do a search.

Thanks,

uflibra

Jan 4, 2012
Beijing
as you mentioned, indirect & Snowball... aren't they rooting methods? what i learned is that even if it is rooted, when u go for hard restore, u will get factory defaults? (plz correct me if i am wrong).

tep065

While considering good hardware of Nook Tablet within this price range, i was wondering if it is possible to completely washout B&N stuff from it and use just NT hardware but own custom android? I think, even now, when it is rooted, it still use B&N ROM and when it is reset to factory defaults, it will have B&N's factory sw. however, is it possible that even with restore to factory defaults lead the NT to the custom android os (as it was fresh installed).
i think for this we will need to modify kernel? or other than kernel, is there some other firmwares installed inside the device which communicate with the existing kernel? and if there exist, can those be also customized, flashed the custom firmware?

thanks.

As stated above, you need to look through the forums here. Especially the DEV section. There is a 1.4.1 CM7(edit:NOT CM7, but stock rom) available in the Dev section, there is a 1.40 CM7 almost ready to go(hopefully later today) and there is a CM9 almost ready to go. You need to root first with the methods mentioned above, snowball removes all the B&N stuff and makes it fairly vanilla, then install the CWRecovery to do a backup, then install either the current 1.4.1CM7 rom available, or wait for 1 of the other 2. You would need to read and research everything else involved to get to the final rom step. But your answer is YES. :) Just do some more leg work through the dev forums.

EDIT: hehe, my bad, STOCK rom, not CM7 rom currently in dev section. CM7 and CM9 on deck for release still.

Last edited:
Reactions: uflibra

uflibra

Jan 4, 2012
Beijing
i am going through all the threads... hopefully i will get into something more. thanks :) looking forward for CM7 & CM9 actually.

phitch

Jan 29, 2012
As of right now, there doesn't appear to be a fully usable ROM, just pretty much home launcher modifications, they still have the underlying Barnes and Noble junk. I think the big reason is the system partitioning done on the hardware makes it difficult. The most promising looking rom appears to be the CM9 one, as it looks like that cleaned (or merged) the partitions so that you won't have the annoying limitations on space. Essentially making it a Galaxy Tab 7.7.

That being said, it seems to me, that the fastest way to get ICS on it, once the partitions have been cracked would be to port it from the Motorola Droid Razr. Reason being is that both use such similar hardware it is hard to distinguish one from the other spec wise and I would imagine since they use nearly the same resolution as well, some minor tweaks would be all that was needed. (I am not a developer of course.)

The Razr runs a Ti OMAP 4430 dual core @ 1.2 Ghz with a PowerVR SGX540 GPU. The Nook Tablet runs a Ti OMAP 4430 dual core @ 1Ghz with POWERVR SGX540. They both have 1 GB of RAM, both have 16 GB storage. Essentially, the Nook Tablet is nothing more than a large Motorola Droid Razr.

phitch

Jan 29, 2012
Of course looking at the Motorola Bionic and Razr development, it seems like the bootlocker is holding up process of development over there. Companies really need to stop with bootlocking these phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks.

As stated above, you need to look through the forums here. Especially the DEV section. There is a 1.4.1 CM7(edit:NOT CM7, but stock rom) available in the Dev section, there is a 1.40 CM7 almost ready to go(hopefully later today) and there is a CM9 almost ready to go. You need to root first with the methods mentioned above, snowball removes all the B&N stuff and makes it fairly vanilla, then install the CWRecovery to do a backup, then install either the current 1.4.1CM7 rom available, or wait for 1 of the other 2. You would need to read and research everything else involved to get to the final rom step. But your answer is YES. :) Just do some more leg work through the dev forums.

EDIT: hehe, my bad, STOCK rom, not CM7 rom currently in dev section. CM7 and CM9 on deck for release still.