[Q] Anyone run their TF201 straight stock?

Search This thread

schlesh436

Mar 6, 2011
I ma wondering if anyone runs without rooting or putting on custom roms..

I ask because I just got the prime and have not updated to the .21 yet.

Doesnt seem like I would miss a ton. Just curious..

Are you kidding you miss a ton. Swipe pad, gesturecontrol, overclocking up to 1.8 ghz, cornerstone, act.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

schlesh436

Mar 6, 2011
Not to mention Asus sometime screws up their Roms and you made have random reboots.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

gruinelli

Apr 23, 2012
I would root it, if I could (having .21).
Mainly because my phone only supports ad-hoc tethering and I now am not able to tether at all with my prime :(

I also would like to have the ability of titanium backups and gestures.

Hope somebody finds a new way for rooting soon :(

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
I would root it, if I could (having .21).
Mainly because my phone only supports ad-hoc tethering and I now am not able to tether at all with my prime :(

I also would like to have the ability of titanium backups and gestures.

Hope somebody finds a new way for rooting soon :(

Only way to get root on .21 is to unlock the boot loader and install CWM- flash a custom ROM and that will give you root.. but unfortunately no way to just root .21 :eek:

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

proxus01

Apr 2, 2012
New York City
I am running stock. I have been using this thing pretty much everyday for 3 months now and I have yet to have a need to root. I bought the keyboard/mouse which is great and I sold my windows laptop on ebay. With the USB port on the side of the keyboard, its amazing that crap you plug into that it recognizes. I still have my desktop for gaming, web design, photoshop etc.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Ok, so it sounds like I am not crazy for wanting to not root it.

I just upgraded to the latest firmware and it seems to run very fast and without issues.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on too much.

I rooted my TF101 and slapped custom roms all over the place. A bit scared to do so on my Prime.. Seems the risk is a lot higher..

Oh i want to root it with a passion.... titanium backup, linux, custom stuffs up the wazoo.... only problem is .21 cant be rooted without rootkeeper. If you DO update, i suggest you root, use rootkeeper, then update. you will miss it later.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Running stock but rooted mainly so I can use titanium back up and restore game apps with data from my Acer a100 so I can play them where I left off.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Papichulo06

Jul 11, 2009
Houston, TX
Have my prime rooted. I've had a rooted AND unlocked Android device ever since the HTC G1. I would love to be able to unlock my Prime and slap the best ROM on it but I'm too afraid of voiding warranty. After my 1yr though... you better believe I'm unlocking. There is just no match in performance when it comes to custom vs stock.

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
I do. Unrooted on 9.4.2.21.
I run my own on nexus prime :) but we have it easy over there, compared to other devices.
Still, rooting the prime still has at least one thing the user needs to remember after rooting process itself: when you root, either because you need to keep warranty or because you want to tweak the device, you need to make sure that everything you change on a stock rom, you need to put it back before running OTA.
I will unlock my tfp, surely, and there's already a few things i want to try, but i'm still thinking about asus RMA. I don't really want to loose track of my device, but light bleed seems to stand out even more when you know its there, even if it's just a bit.
I have not experienced any "random" reboot, but i believe the stock rom doesn't seem to do justice to Tegra3 - in fact, ics 4.0.3 was way faster in my phone.

Sent from my TF201

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
I do, unfortunately. Stupid me updated when I first got it. I don't want to unlock yet as I will probably end up RMA'ing this prime for wifi/bt issues. Just waiting to get back my other prime from RMA.

TeCKNeiC

Jan 25, 2010
I am running Stock but I did Root because of I wanted to use AdFree and Titianium Backup Apps. I have an Android Phone that I love to Flash new ROMS to and I eventually will Unlock my Prime and do the same to I just don't see the need to at the moment.

This. The only reason I rooted was for these two apps, the ability to delete some system apps and the ability to run at 1.6 just cause. The Prime runs so much better without ads in the background draining my battery.

Now I want to know how that guy changed his docking sound, that sounds like a sick idea!

razgrizpr

Feb 2, 2012
rooting doesn't void?

Have my prime rooted. I've had a rooted AND unlocked Android device ever since the HTC G1. I would love to be able to unlock my Prime and slap the best ROM on it but I'm too afraid of voiding warranty. After my 1yr though... you better believe I'm unlocking. There is just no match in performance when it comes to custom vs stock.

I have been around looking for an answer for this. What you are trying to say is that rooting won't void the warranty as long as you don't unlock it? Because I want to advantages of root but I don't want to loose my warranty so early.

Thanks in advance!

dom2215

Oct 30, 2010
This. The only reason I rooted was for these two apps, the ability to delete some system apps and the ability to run at 1.6 just cause. The Prime runs so much better without ads in the background draining my battery.

Now I want to know how that guy changed his docking sound, that sounds like a sick idea!

You should not delete System apps if you want asus updates, if tried it too, but after i got a new asus update and tried to install it, i got an error and i had to reflash my current system

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
I have been around looking for an answer for this. What you are trying to say is that rooting won't void the warranty as long as you don't unlock it? Because I want to advantages of root but I don't want to loose my warranty so early.

Thanks in advance!

yes

10chars

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, I am. I'm running ICS, the latest patch/update/whatever that was pushed by Asus.

(Now, FWIW, I bought my Nook Color tablet last year with the full intention to root and wasted no time in doing so.)

For my TP, I just haven't seen the reason. Given the expense of my 64GB unit, the lack of any pressing reason to hack it, and the (apparent) potential to brick it, it's just not a road I want to go down.

For the Nook Color, the reasons to load CynogenMod 7 were considerable and undeniable. Also, the fact that the Nook always tries to boot from the Micro-SD first was re-assuring. For the TP, not so much.
    Only way to get root on .21 is to unlock the boot loader and install CWM- flash a custom ROM and that will give you root.. but unfortunately no way to just root .21 :eek:

Thats what pessimists say.
    I still hope somebody finds another way.
    No software is without bugs.