[Q] HELP! Galaxy S3 freezing and erasing stuff!

Search This thread

icytux

May 9, 2012
My Samsung Galaxy SIII from Sprint just freezes from time to time and I have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to manually shut it down and boot it back up, sometimes whenever it boots up it has deleted all of my contacts and text messages. The phone also just reboots randomly, and during some of the times I turn the phone back on it says some applications have crashed, usually it was always Skype so I uninstalled it and it still crashes.

Can anyone help? I've tried unrooting, restoring, factory reset, flashing different roms, nothing changes!

icytux

May 9, 2012
I just said I have rooted and unrooted and the only way(that I know of) to do that is with Odin, anyway, yes, I've completely restored(as mentioned in original post) and I've used many different ROMS, like MOAR, Cyanogen, MIUI and a few others with the same results, I've used both CM and TWRP recoveries.

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
I know this is silly but sometimes it is as simple as going into recovery and wiping cache and dalvik.

Sent from my Wicked GS3

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
Well OK then @icytux. I apologize for trying to help. I come across many people who fail to do all of these things and 99% of the time it is "USER ERROR" I'm sure you wiped as you were flashing the roms what I was referring to is after the rom loads and your problems start. That's when you should go into recovery and wipe data and dalvik and maybe fix permissions. Also some people tend to think the are performing a full wipe and they are actually not. I use twrp and go to advanced wipe and select data, system, cache, and dalvik. I also do a recommended triple wipe and don't restore all of my apps with data through Tibu. People do this with system apps not knowing what they are doing and that is some things that cause some people's issues. I have no idea of your level of knowledge but what I do know is you seem to be rude to the people who are trying to help you out. I'm sure next time you have an issue and start a thread, myself and @Jessooca will probably not be trying to help you out since you basically just spit in Our face. HAVE A NICE DAY :)

Sent from my Wicked GS3

Last edited:

icytux

May 9, 2012
@mikeman45
Look, I'm sorry for sounding like an ass and insulting you if I did, I really didn't mean to come by that way but I did know to format , Data, System, Cache, Dalvik Cache three times or more before installing a new ROM or before flashing with ODIN, I've used different USB cables, re-downloaded files, ports and even different computers, the one thing I did not know from everything everyone here has said was fixing permissions, I'll try that, thanks.

PS.
The one thing I won't do is crack open my S3 as I don't know if that will negate the ability to trade the phone in to Sprint for a new one when the contract expires.

Reactions: mikeman45

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
Thread cleaned of childish and off topic junk. Users are reminded that respect is a requirement for members here, that includes members who have titles attached to their accounts.

Be nice or get out. Next time, report offending posts and do not reply.

VECTUS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 26, 2010
Kansas City, Mo.
xdaforums.com
@mikeman45
Look, I'm sorry for sounding like an ass and insulting you if I did, I really didn't mean to come by that way but I did know to format , Data, System, Cache, Dalvik Cache three times or more before installing a new ROM or before flashing with ODIN, I've used different USB cables, re-downloaded files, ports and even different computers, the one thing I did not know from everything everyone here has said was fixing permissions, I'll try that, thanks.

PS.
The one thing I won't do is crack open my S3 as I don't know if that will negate the ability to trade the phone in to Sprint for a new one when the contract expires.

Mr. Icy, it does appear that you have taken the right steps to alleviate your issues... May I suggest reformatting your internal (phone) memory and either reformat your sd card, get a new one or take it out all together?? I know this sounds strange but it appears as if your memory isn't formatted correctly, possible has a virus, or may just be bad... If its bad and you have exhuasted all your resources here I would let sprint know and get a replacement... I had a bad S3 once (it was the port though)... Let us know and good luck! I really hope you get it fixed I know it can be VERY fustrating!

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
@mikeman45

It's OK I understand your frustration. I am a mechanic /electrician and work on half a million to 1 million dollar equipment everyday and when there is a problem I start off with the simple stuff and just keep eliminating things until I find the problem. That's all I was trying to do with my advice to you. Now since we know you went through all that simple stuff I would do like Vectus said and wipe your internal as well. Save the important stuff obviously so you can transfer it back to phone from your computer. I would also backup your sd card and reformat it. Then download the rom you want and make sure you have the matching firmware /modem /kernel ect .... That you will need. That would be my next step if I was you and if it all works good put the Stuff that you want /need back a few at a time so if it happens again it will be easier to pin point if you have a corrupted file somewhere. Keep us updated as we will try our best to continue to help.

Sent from my Wicked GS3

Reactions: VECTUS

icytux

May 9, 2012
It's OK I understand your frustration. I am a mechanic /electrician and work on half a million to 1 million dollar equipment everyday and when there is a problem I start off with the simple stuff and just keep eliminating things until I find the problem. That's all I was trying to do with my advice to you. Now since we know you went through all that simple stuff I would do like Vectus said and wipe your internal as well. Save the important stuff obviously so you can transfer it back to phone from your computer. I would also backup your sd card and reformat it. Then download the rom you want and make sure you have the matching firmware /modem /kernel ect .... That you will need. That would be my next step if I was you and if it all works good put the Stuff that you want /need back a few at a time so if it happens again it will be easier to pin point if you have a corrupted file somewhere. Keep us updated as we will try our best to continue to help.

Sent from my Wicked GS3

Thank you, I will be doing this tonight, I'll update the status in a day or two to see if it worked or not.

Reactions: VECTUS

icytux

May 9, 2012
Hey, sorry for the long wait, my ISP thought it would be funny to cease my internet connection even though I paid this month, anyway.

Sadly no luck, the phone continues to do random reboots, shut downs and such, thankfully contacts, text messages or apps haven't been deleted, so I guess that' one problem fixed.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I know this is a long shot. But back in the day I had an OG EVO 4G with a bad factory battery. The battery was causing an intermittent short ( it was a manufacturing defect in the battery) . Thereby causing the voltage to fluctuate wildly, causing reboots. So with that in mind. Have you tried a different battery ? Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well OK then @icytux. I apologize for trying to help. I come across many people who fail to do all of these things and 99% of the time it is "USER ERROR" I'm sure you wiped as you were flashing the roms what I was referring to is after the rom loads and your problems start. That's when you should go into recovery and wipe data and dalvik and maybe fix permissions. Also some people tend to think the are performing a full wipe and they are actually not. I use twrp and go to advanced wipe and select data, system, cache, and dalvik. I also do a recommended triple wipe and don't restore all of my apps with data through Tibu. People do this with system apps not knowing what they are doing and that is some things that cause some people's issues. I have no idea of your level of knowledge but what I do know is you seem to be rude to the people who are trying to help you out. I'm sure next time you have an issue and start a thread, myself and @Jessooca will probably not be trying to help you out since you basically just spit in Our face. HAVE A NICE DAY :)

Sent from my Wicked GS3
    @mikeman45

PS.

Mr. Icy, it does appear that you have taken the right steps to alleviate your issues... May I suggest reformatting your internal (phone) memory and either reformat your sd card, get a new one or take it out all together?? I know this sounds strange but it appears as if your memory isn't formatted correctly, possible has a virus, or may just be bad... If its bad and you have exhuasted all your resources here I would let sprint know and get a replacement... I had a bad S3 once (it was the port though)... Let us know and good luck! I really hope you get it fixed I know it can be VERY fustrating!
    Thread cleaned of childish and off topic junk. Users are reminded that respect is a requirement for members here, that includes members who have titles attached to their accounts.

Be nice or get out. Next time, report offending posts and do not reply.
    @mikeman45

PS.
    @mikeman45

Sent from my Wicked GS3