AVIA and MP4 on Chromecast

Search This thread

h20wakebum

Nov 10, 2007
Santa Monica
Hi all,

So I'm perplexed...

I am using the latest version of Avia along with my Chromecast and can succesfully cast local media.

Some of my mp4 videos work fine. Others bring up a message on the TV stating that Chromecast doesn't currently support this file type.

I cannot determine what makes some MP4 files work and others not...

Anyone else run into this/have a fix?

copestag

Jun 15, 2010
Hi all,

So I'm perplexed...

I am using the latest version of Avia along with my Chromecast and can succesfully cast local media.

Some of my mp4 videos work fine. Others bring up a message on the TV stating that Chromecast doesn't currently support this file type.

has to be H.264

download a program like Handbrake and convert them

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Sweet, thanks guys!

Now I'll just make sure the torrents match those specs!

You will be better off getting yourself a good Video Converter you like because most Torrents are in MKV format and don't always note what codecs are being used.

Handbrake is a very good (FREE) program but can be a bit daunting for anyone who is inexperienced with encoder settings.
I use Xilisoft's Video Converter because it is pretty simple, Easy to Operate and makes doing Batches of Files a snap.
But it is a paid app.

I sure have never regretted paying for it I use it for just about all my Library conversions and only use Handbrake or VLC whenever Xilisoft chokes on a file which is usually because of a bad file not the programs inability to convert that format.

Novelh

Sep 9, 2012
Handbrake settings

I have encoded my mp4 file 4 different ways and I still cant get it to cast. Other files work fine. I have researched what settings are supported by Chromecast by searching for "chromecast video formats" (I cant post a link). Attached are the settings that I think are the closest in Handbrake but still have no luck. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 642
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 619
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 589

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Set a specific bitrate, preferrably 4 Mbps (4000 Kbps) to start.

sherdog16

Feb 9, 2012
Check large file size and web optimized

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

That's the only issue I see

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

codified

Jun 16, 2013
All three conditions must be met

MP4 container aka .MP4
H264 Video Codec
AAC or MP3 Audio Codec

I'm using MediaInfo to check the codecs in my files, but it's a laborious process to go through each one manually. Is there a way to scan a whole directory of video files and then list the results?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm using MediaInfo to check the codecs in my files, but it's a laborious process to go through each one manually. Is there a way to scan a whole directory of video files and then list the results?

I'm sure there is some program that does it but I can't name any....
I avoid the issue altogether by running a media server that transcodes it to whatever the device is capable and not just the CCast either.

I would check out Plex and Bubble....

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010

Use the CLI (command line interface) version of MediaInfo.

Here's a quick batch file I put together. It may be glitchy, but should work, as it's based off another batch processor I've been working on for a while.

It assumes your structure contains a single level of subfolders, for example:
D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x01.mp4
D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x02.avi
D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x12.divx
D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar1x01.mov
D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar0x02.qt
D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar0x10.avi

You would point MediaInfoBatch at "D:\My Videos" and set a logfile name like MyVideos.txt
MediaInfoBatch "D:\My Videos" MyVideos.txt
Note double-quoted path as it contains spaces. Double-quoting is also necessary if it contains ampersands. It doesn't hurt to just double-quote it anyway.

Save as MediaInfoBatch.bat (or whatever you want, but then you'll have to change the syntax text).
Easiest to throw it into the same folder as the CLI mediainfo.exe

Code:
@echo off
rem MediaInfoBatch
rem -------------
rem Runs command line interface (CLI) mediainfo on each file in each subfolder of the specified location
rem First parameter should be target directory, enclosed in double-quotes if there are spaces or ampersands within
rem   Assumes files are in subfolders within the target, ie D:\Movies\Title1\file1 ... D:\Movies\Title20\file30
rem     should be executed as MediaInfoBatch.bat D:\Movies
rem Second parameter should be filepath for logfile, enclosed in double-quotes if there are spaces or ampersands within

rem Check for proper command line
IF %1a==a GOTO syntax
IF %2a==a GOTO syntax

rem Remove double-quotes in parameter
set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target_raw=%1
set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target=%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target_raw:"=%
set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile_raw=%2
set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile=%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile_raw:"=%

GOTO check_prereqs

:syntax
	echo MediaInfo Batch processor
	echo -------------------------
	echo Syntax: MediaInfoBatch [path] [logfile]
	echo   Where
	echo     [path] is root path to *folders* to be processed.
	echo         Do NOT include trailing backslash.
	echo         Ex: C:\MyVideos
	echo     [logfile] is filepath for logfile to contain output.
	echo         Ex: C:\MyVideos\MediaInfo.txt
	echo     Enclose any paths with spaces or ampersands in double-quotes.
	echo         Ex: "C:\My Videos"
	echo Example:
	echo     MediaInfoBatch C:\MyVideos C:\MyVideos\MediaInfo.txt
	echo   will run MediaInfo on all files in the first level of directories
	echo   under C:\MyVideos and write the output to C:\MediaInfo.txt
	pause
GOTO end

:check_prereqs
	IF NOT EXIST MediaInfo.exe (
		echo MediaInfo.exe is missing.  We need the Command Line Interface version of MediaInfo.  Please put it in the same directory as this batch file.
		pause
		GOTO end
	)
GOTO main

:main
rem Look in target location
FOR /f "tokens=* usebackq" %%G IN (`dir /b /a:d "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%"`) DO (
	rem Interate through subfolders
	FOR /f "tokens=* usebackq" %%H IN (`dir /b /a:-d "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%\%%G"`) DO (
		rem Run mediainfo on each file
		mediainfo -f "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%\%%G\%%H" >>"%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile%"
	)
)

:end

Last edited:
Reactions: codified

Dragontickler

Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I have uninstalled Avia and have started using LocalCast. It plays MKV files effortlessly! No conversion is needed at all!

All the best!

Reactions: gerg004

gerg004

Oct 16, 2010
Also had this problem, avia not casting mp4. Downloaded Real Player and it fired up the mp4 perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bawiret

Aug 5, 2014
Chromecast has limitation in the input formats. Only video containers MP4 and WebM encoded with Video codecs H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5, VP8 and audio codecs HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/Opus, MP3, Vorbis are compatible with Chromecast.

When send local media which are with extensions .mp4 or .webm through Chromecast to TV, it succeeded in most cases but sometimes failed. That is because MP4 and WebM, as video container, contain different video or audio codecs which Chromecast doesn't recognize.

I used to use a little piece of software called Faasoft Video Converter to convert MP4, AVI and other various video formats to Chromecast compatible formats, happy with it.

Reactions: DJames1

Kunnievic

Mar 4, 2015
Actually, you can basically drag and drop the video files into Chrome browser and Chromecast from there. The point here is, you can do so on video types such as MP4; however, you probably will find difficulty doing the same on other video formats like MKV, VOB, AVI. All we need to get done is to make the MKV, VOB, AVI videos play inside the Chrome browser by some third party programs, like Brorsoft Video Converter.

Unreadhyperion

Nov 24, 2010
Wondershare Ultimate Video convert - set video to H.264. Software has a beast mode and can convert H.265 but the compression rate sucks. Not a lot of bells and whistles but simple conversation and done quickly.

There's bubbleupnp, install the server and it will convert on the fly.

Plex is an oldy but a goodie. The plex media server coupled with the app does all conversation on the fly to play pretty much any media to any receiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most dl's mp4 and not mkv's? It's VERY common to see mp4, semi rare for mkv - though usually reserved for hi def minus yify, and super rare for avi's as technically avi files can be nuked as it no longer fits the scenes standard. That's my experience anyway.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

So I'm perplexed...

has to be H.264

download a program like Handbrake and convert them
    That's correct, the video has to be h264 and audio must be AAC.
    That's correct, the video has to be h264 and audio must be AAC.

AAC or MP3

All three conditions must be met

MP4 container aka .MP4
    H264 Video Codec
    AAC or MP3 Audio Codec

The CCast will also play VP8 Video Codec but VP8 is really just a licence free version of H264 right now...They are practically identical.

Use the CLI (command line interface) version of MediaInfo.

Here's a quick batch file I put together. It may be glitchy, but should work, as it's based off another batch processor I've been working on for a while.

It assumes your structure contains a single level of subfolders, for example:
    D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x01.mp4
    D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x02.avi
    D:\My Videos\Foo the Epic\Foo1x12.divx
    D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar1x01.mov
    D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar0x02.qt
    D:\My Videos\Bar the Final\Bar0x10.avi

You would point MediaInfoBatch at "D:\My Videos" and set a logfile name like MyVideos.txt
    MediaInfoBatch "D:\My Videos" MyVideos.txt
    Note double-quoted path as it contains spaces. Double-quoting is also necessary if it contains ampersands. It doesn't hurt to just double-quote it anyway.

Save as MediaInfoBatch.bat (or whatever you want, but then you'll have to change the syntax text).
    Easiest to throw it into the same folder as the CLI mediainfo.exe

Code:
    @echo off
    rem MediaInfoBatch
    rem -------------
    rem Runs command line interface (CLI) mediainfo on each file in each subfolder of the specified location
    rem First parameter should be target directory, enclosed in double-quotes if there are spaces or ampersands within
    rem   Assumes files are in subfolders within the target, ie D:\Movies\Title1\file1 ... D:\Movies\Title20\file30
    rem     should be executed as MediaInfoBatch.bat D:\Movies
    rem Second parameter should be filepath for logfile, enclosed in double-quotes if there are spaces or ampersands within

rem Check for proper command line
    IF %1a==a GOTO syntax
    IF %2a==a GOTO syntax

rem Remove double-quotes in parameter
    set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target_raw=%1
    set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target=%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target_raw:"=%
    set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile_raw=%2
    set tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile=%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile_raw:"=%

GOTO check_prereqs

:syntax
    	echo MediaInfo Batch processor
    	echo -------------------------
    	echo Syntax: MediaInfoBatch [path] [logfile]
    	echo   Where
    	echo     [path] is root path to *folders* to be processed.
    	echo         Do NOT include trailing backslash.
    	echo         Ex: C:\MyVideos
    	echo     [logfile] is filepath for logfile to contain output.
    	echo         Ex: C:\MyVideos\MediaInfo.txt
    	echo     Enclose any paths with spaces or ampersands in double-quotes.
    	echo         Ex: "C:\My Videos"
    	echo Example:
    	echo     MediaInfoBatch C:\MyVideos C:\MyVideos\MediaInfo.txt
    	echo   will run MediaInfo on all files in the first level of directories
    	echo   under C:\MyVideos and write the output to C:\MediaInfo.txt
    	pause
    GOTO end

:check_prereqs
    	IF NOT EXIST MediaInfo.exe (
    		echo MediaInfo.exe is missing.  We need the Command Line Interface version of MediaInfo.  Please put it in the same directory as this batch file.
    		pause
    		GOTO end
    	)
    GOTO main

:main
    rem Look in target location
    FOR /f "tokens=* usebackq" %%G IN (`dir /b /a:d "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%"`) DO (
    	rem Interate through subfolders
    	FOR /f "tokens=* usebackq" %%H IN (`dir /b /a:-d "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%\%%G"`) DO (
    		rem Run mediainfo on each file
    		mediainfo -f "%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Target%\%%G\%%H" >>"%tmp_MediaInfoBatch_Logfile%"
    	)
    )

:end
    Hello,

I have uninstalled Avia and have started using LocalCast. It plays MKV files effortlessly! No conversion is needed at all!

All the best!