[Q] Hard Brick? Bootloader = dead?

Search This thread

sci4me

Jul 7, 2014
Hey guys, big n00b here. I'll admit, I made a very fatal and somewhat idiotic mistake... ended up flashing a bad rom (illusions) to my phone. Unfortunately, after rebooting to test it, the phone completely stopped booting. Can't get into download or recovery mode. Does NOTHING when power is held. I have tried the microSD fix.. went out and got a 16GB card... no luck. This is why I think the bootloader is screwed up. I tried making a USB jig and that didn't work either... I have one coming in the mail, but that's going to be too long to wait.

My computer (running ubuntu by the way) detects the phone:
"Bus 003 Device 069: ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode)"
from lsusb.

Guys, PLEASE tell me that we can fix it ... without JTAG or replacing the EMMC... both of those are a bit too much. Would rather just say I spilled pop on it...

I have nearly lost all hope because NOTHING has worked. It isn't showing signs of life... Is there hope?

Is it possible that I didn't try the microSD fix enough times? I mean, I read that you may have to do the write a few times... which I did... :/

Last edited:

j61101

Jun 25, 2014
Hey guys, big n00b here. I'll admit, I made a very fatal and somewhat idiotic mistake... ended up flashing a bad rom (illusions) to my phone. Unfortunately, after rebooting to test it, the phone completely stopped booting. Can't get into download or recovery mode. Does NOTHING when power is held. I have tried the microSD fix.. went out and got a 16GB card... no luck. This is why I think the bootloader is screwed up. I tried making a USB jig and that didn't work either... I have one coming in the mail, but that's going to be too long to wait.

My computer (running ubuntu by the way) detects the phone:
"Bus 003 Device 069: ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode)"
from lsusb.

Guys, PLEASE tell me that we can fix it ... without JTAG or replacing the EMMC... both of those are a bit too much. Would rather just say I spilled pop on it...

I have nearly lost all hope because NOTHING has worked. It isn't showing signs of life... Is there hope?

Is it possible that I didn't try the microSD fix enough times? I mean, I read that you may have to do the write a few times... which I did... :/

There is a guy over on android forums named shappypenguin, he may or may not be on XDA, but he has done magic on supposedly hard bricked phones. The fact that your computer recognizes the phone is a good thing. Does the phone go into download mode? If so, try downloading ODIN. It's literally a phone saver.

sci4me

Jul 7, 2014
There is a guy over on android forums named shappypenguin, he may or may not be on XDA, but he has done magic on supposedly hard bricked phones. The fact that your computer recognizes the phone is a good thing. Does the phone go into download mode? If so, try downloading ODIN. It's literally a phone saver.

I WISH it went into download mode, if it did I would be fine... and this thread wouldn't exist.
He is on XDA.

Last edited:

sci4me

Jul 7, 2014
Microsd trick should still work, you sure you're doing it right?

No lol, I'm not sure. I have a 16 GB Class 10 card and my phone is 16GB. I have tried multiple images and multiple different guides. I THINK the phone is trying to use the card... but not working for some reason.

Like I said, I have tried a lot of images... but I have no reliable way to confirm if they are the EXACT one I need.
One of the ones It tried was called debrick_sph_l710... but it doesn't seem to work.

To clarify, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 on the Sprint network. Model SPH-L710.

I can keep trying the microSD...

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Oh ok, I only know it should work on i9300. Not sure if it does for your model, you might get better help asking in your device specific forum.

sci4me

Jul 7, 2014
Forgive me for bumping this early, but I have an expensive paperweight.

Is there any hope? Or will this require JTAG...?

TheKryptonite

Sep 24, 2012
No lol, I'm not sure. I have a 16 GB Class 10 card and my phone is 16GB. I have tried multiple images and multiple different guides. I THINK the phone is trying to use the card... but not working for some reason.

Like I said, I have tried a lot of images... but I have no reliable way to confirm if they are the EXACT one I need.
One of the ones It tried was called debrick_sph_l710... but it doesn't seem to work.

To clarify, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 on the Sprint network. Model SPH-L710.

I can keep trying the microSD...

What version of Android were you running before you bricked it? It probably doesn't work because you aren't using the correct version.

TheKryptonite

Sep 24, 2012
Ah, that explains why (I meant that it didn't work because you weren't using the correct version of your debrick image), click on the link below, write the debrick file to your SD card, and it should work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2740469

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited: