[STICKY][FIX] Full market (improved market fix) on G Tablet

Search This thread

rcgabriel

May 4, 2010
**NOTE FOR VEGAN TAB USERS** Steps 1-5 are no longer necessary for you, as the build.prop file in your /system directory has a working market fingerprint out of the box. Just apply the standard Market Fix (steps 6-8) and you are good to go.

I've seen several people complaining that the "full market" we had on G Tablet after the established market fixes wasn't quite full. Well, I've solved that problem, through a mixture of reading what others have done with other devices and experimentation. I will not promise that this gives you *everything*, but I do believe it gives you apps that otherwise required the release-keys status. Some of the apps you get may of course not work. But several applications I looked for before (TV.com for example, with streaming CBS video content) were not available with the previous market fix, and are now available with this fix. In fact, TV.com even works, except for a very minor video glitch in the upper left corner of the screen, and it's a cool app to get some quick streaming video content going on your G Tablet.

**NOTE** I take no responsibility for you screwing up your G Tablet. Please backup your system in Clockwork Recovery before doing any of this!

**EDIT** Removed unneccessary steps after feedback in this thread. Process is now very simple. Edited step 1 to clarify you need paid version of Root Explorer.

Here's how to do it:

0) Backup in Clockwork Mod. Please. I don't want you mad at me if this messes up your ROM.

1) Get the paid version of Root Explorer installed on your G Tablet. Apparently the free version lacks a text editor. If you only have the free version, the text editing step will need to be done in a separate program, or you will need to copy build.prop to your desktop, edit it there, and copy it back. Or use adb to push an edited build.prop to your tablet. Just buy Root Explorer though, it makes this very easy.

2) Browse in Root Explorer to /system. Then click on Mount R/W.

3) Long click on build.prop and click on Open In Text Editor.

4) Scroll down to the line ro.build.fingerprint=....
You are going to replace that with the following text:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys

5) Now you are going to click on Save and Exit. And then remount the /system directory as R/O.

6) Now you are going to re-do the original Market Fix. I used the simple version illustrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySibzeA&feature=related First, make sure Market is running, and browse around in it for a few seconds. If you don't do this, there may be no cache to clear and for some reason the market fix may not work. Then, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running and scroll down to Market. Then hit Clear Cache, followed by Force Stop **DO NOT CLEAR DATA FOR MARKET, JUST CACHE**. Then go back, scroll down to Google Services Framework, hit Clear Data, then Force Stop.

7) Now try starting Market again and you get the famous Market Error. Now shut down the G Tablet, then turned it back on. Wait for Wifi to connect to your network before doing anything! I forgot to do that on the first try, so I rebooted again, waited for wifi to connect this time.

8) Now restart Market again. It seems to have sourced the fingerprint from build.prop somewhere in steps 6-7. Searches for previously missing apps now show up. Voila! A truly full market!

And steps 6 and 7 can almost certainly be replaced by the equivalent steps using Titanium Backup that I know a lot of people have been using, particularly with TNT Lite. I am running ZPad 2.2 here, so YMMV with TNT Lite. Please keep me informed if this works/doesn't work for you if you try it!

Credit goes to: Paul at Modaco for hacking on the Advent Vega and making the Market work fully on that device and for coming up with a working build.prop for the Advent Vega, Roebeet for inspiring me to look at the Vega ROM stuff with his current work on the VEGAn ROM, Rothnic for his excellent work on the ZPad ROM that I'm currently using. Basically, I'm just hacking and slashing here, this wasn't any sort of rocket science.

Last edited:

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Paul from Modaco is awesome -- and you are as well, for making this post!

Any apps in particular that you found after this, that were missing before? I might want to try this on my device. Thanks again!

Reactions: jjsink and Darkeyce

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
FWIW my Nexus One running a CM 6.0 nightly from 2 days ago has

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2.1/FRG83/60505:user/release-keys

Note the more up-level version (2.2.1) and build (FRG83). I haven't tried this on my GTab yet but I will as soon as I can get it up and running.

rcgabriel

May 4, 2010

Any apps in particular that you found after this, that were missing before? I might want to try this on my device. Thanks again!

The only specific things I can tell you off the top of my head are TV.com which I know wasn't there because I searched for it a few hours ago. Also, I tried searching Market for Handcent before and found 14 or 15 results, and after this process I was able to retrieve 24 results.

There were a bunch of random apps I saw in the Top Apps list that I don't remember seeing earlier today. So that was enough to convince me that most of the missing 10-20% of apps are there now.

And thanks for the compliment, especially coming from the guy who made the G Tablet useful!

rcgabriel

May 4, 2010
FWIW my Nexus One running a CM 6.0 nightly from 2 days ago has

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2.1/FRG83/60505:user/release-keys

Note the more up-level version (2.2.1) and build (FRG83). I haven't tried this on my GTab yet but I will as soon as I can get it up and running.

I'm sure that will work too, though the FRF91 build string seems to match the existing data in the ZPad ROM at least. I'm guessing the two signatures will produce essentially identical Market results.

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
I'm sure that will work too, though the FRF91 build string seems to match the existing data in the ZPad ROM at least. I'm guessing the two signatures will produce essentially identical Market results.
Yeah. I may be somewhat overoptimistic going with FRG83. The build and version numbers identify the version of the system code so apps may read them and make some assumptions as to certain API characteristics. We're probably closer to FRF91 than FRG83 on TnT Lite.

ewitte

Nov 24, 2010
This one worked ok for me

ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/SGH-T849/SGH-T849/SGH-T849:2.2/FROYO/UVJJB:user/release-keys

mike0miller

Mar 25, 2009
I did the following:
1) Edited build.prop as described in step 4, rebooted and searched for tv.com - no results
2) I preformed the edits in step 4a, rebooted and searched for tv.com - no results
3) I stopped Market & Google Services Framework & wiped Google Services Framework, rebooted after getting Market Error, waited for wifi and opened Market to search for tv.com - no results.

I can't say if it works. I haven't had trouble finding apps, but I can't find tv.com before or after the steps above. Perhaps, I missed something.

jdnyc

Dec 1, 2010
Is it possible to post the TV.com app? I don't want to do the mod but would love that app!

wlawyer

Oct 7, 2007
Great post man worked like a charm, I can get my slingbox app from the market now.

Edit: dammit I can't get the downloaded sling client to launch even after trying it many times which usually worked.

Last edited:

jdnyc

Dec 1, 2010
I'm going to give it a shot but being a newbie I'm not clear on this step:

5) Now you are going to click on Save and Exit. And then remount the /system directory as R/O

Will "remount as r/o" be an option to select at this point? If not, can you provide more detail.

The rest of the mod is easy enough to follow.

Thanks.

wlawyer

Oct 7, 2007
I'm going to give it a shot but being a newbie I'm not clear on this step:

5) Now you are going to click on Save and Exit. And then remount the /system directory as R/O

Will "remount as r/o" be an option to select at this point? If not, can you provide more detail.

The rest of the mod is easy enough to follow.

Thanks.
No worries its just a button on root explorer, download it and you will see it fairly quick.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **NOTE FOR VEGAN TAB USERS** Steps 1-5 are no longer necessary for you, as the build.prop file in your /system directory has a working market fingerprint out of the box. Just apply the standard Market Fix (steps 6-8) and you are good to go.

I've seen several people complaining that the "full market" we had on G Tablet after the established market fixes wasn't quite full. Well, I've solved that problem, through a mixture of reading what others have done with other devices and experimentation. I will not promise that this gives you *everything*, but I do believe it gives you apps that otherwise required the release-keys status. Some of the apps you get may of course not work. But several applications I looked for before (TV.com for example, with streaming CBS video content) were not available with the previous market fix, and are now available with this fix. In fact, TV.com even works, except for a very minor video glitch in the upper left corner of the screen, and it's a cool app to get some quick streaming video content going on your G Tablet.

**NOTE** I take no responsibility for you screwing up your G Tablet. Please backup your system in Clockwork Recovery before doing any of this!

**EDIT** Removed unneccessary steps after feedback in this thread. Process is now very simple. Edited step 1 to clarify you need paid version of Root Explorer.

Here's how to do it:

0) Backup in Clockwork Mod. Please. I don't want you mad at me if this messes up your ROM.

1) Get the paid version of Root Explorer installed on your G Tablet. Apparently the free version lacks a text editor. If you only have the free version, the text editing step will need to be done in a separate program, or you will need to copy build.prop to your desktop, edit it there, and copy it back. Or use adb to push an edited build.prop to your tablet. Just buy Root Explorer though, it makes this very easy.

2) Browse in Root Explorer to /system. Then click on Mount R/W.

3) Long click on build.prop and click on Open In Text Editor.

4) Scroll down to the line ro.build.fingerprint=....
    You are going to replace that with the following text:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys

5) Now you are going to click on Save and Exit. And then remount the /system directory as R/O.

6) Now you are going to re-do the original Market Fix. I used the simple version illustrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySibzeA&feature=related First, make sure Market is running, and browse around in it for a few seconds. If you don't do this, there may be no cache to clear and for some reason the market fix may not work. Then, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running and scroll down to Market. Then hit Clear Cache, followed by Force Stop **DO NOT CLEAR DATA FOR MARKET, JUST CACHE**. Then go back, scroll down to Google Services Framework, hit Clear Data, then Force Stop.

7) Now try starting Market again and you get the famous Market Error. Now shut down the G Tablet, then turned it back on. Wait for Wifi to connect to your network before doing anything! I forgot to do that on the first try, so I rebooted again, waited for wifi to connect this time.

8) Now restart Market again. It seems to have sourced the fingerprint from build.prop somewhere in steps 6-7. Searches for previously missing apps now show up. Voila! A truly full market!

And steps 6 and 7 can almost certainly be replaced by the equivalent steps using Titanium Backup that I know a lot of people have been using, particularly with TNT Lite. I am running ZPad 2.2 here, so YMMV with TNT Lite. Please keep me informed if this works/doesn't work for you if you try it!

Credit goes to: Paul at Modaco for hacking on the Advent Vega and making the Market work fully on that device and for coming up with a working build.prop for the Advent Vega, Roebeet for inspiring me to look at the Vega ROM stuff with his current work on the VEGAn ROM, Rothnic for his excellent work on the ZPad ROM that I'm currently using. Basically, I'm just hacking and slashing here, this wasn't any sort of rocket science.
    You can also change the line where it says ro.something.something.device = harmony to ro.something.something.device = olympus. All apps will appear after this.

Im on Vegan 5.1.1 but I couldn't see several apps several of which were ones I had installed on Clem/Corwins combo. Gun Bros, Glow Hockey, Firefox, splashtop, Death Worm were all apps I couldn't see. After setting the following and re-doing market fix they all show up now:

ro.build.tags=release-keys <--Changed this one, it was set as test-keys which seemed wrong so I changed it to match the fingerprint.

ro.product.device=olympus

Market fix for the FC issue on VeganTab Ginger is posted in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1167530&page=5

Or to quote:

You would not believe how easy the fix is.

Go to settings, then language.

Wether you have English selected or not, select English-United States.

No more FCs.

What a weird fix that works.
    So it was indeed at the apx screen. I had already tried once to re-do the flash and it didn't think the tablet was there. Odd.

Its still in the Tap-n-Tap splash screen loop. (Or am I wrong that 15 minutes is a long time for it to take? I know it takes a long time the first time).

Give it 30 minutes before you worry. It should boot completely up. If not, try a manual reboot, if not again, try to boot into apx mode and then do the nvflash procedure again using the instructions I gave you. Post back after you can clearly see the TnT main screen.