Polished G2 Battery Cover

Search This thread

znanoDA

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
So the clear coat on the battery cover to my phone was peeling so i decided to polish it

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

durps

Nov 15, 2010
A little too shiny for my taste, but it still looks great.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

bryyyan

Oct 16, 2009
It looks great! Personally I wouldn't do it to mine right now. The ipods have a shiny back like that too and it lives finger orbits and scratches.

If my backing starts to look bad I may do this. How did you do it?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You must work at a body shop or on cars as a hobby. That just screams it to me. I have plenty of gearhead friends that do the same type of thing. Nice work btw! The best I can do is change oil and brake pads on a good day lol! I did just redo the gasket on my oil pan and it wasn't too bad plus changed one of my O2 sensors. That was a royal pain without the proper wrench.... anyways, sorry to ramble on :) good work! Might have to steal that idea. Ever think of doing the same to the phone bezel so it would match? You'd have to be EXTREMELY careful though.

wayde187

Oct 27, 2010
Seattle
How did you do it? Did you use automobile metal polish? Do you know what type of metal its made out of? I was thinking about doing this a little while back and forgot about it. And I also want to etch some custom art into it as well. Make it more personalized

I would also like to do the trim piece but it would be tricky to do it without touching anything else, and I don't see myself taking it off.

Sent from my word hole to your ocular cavities via my CM7 G2 1.5ghz

jtadak

Jan 6, 2011
Salem,Or
That is straight G bro. I'm going to do that too because the clown that I got the phone from surface scrated the hell out of the back. I do keep a velcro patch on the back so I can stick it the my center consel it keeps it from getting sratched anymore too.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

znanoDA

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
You must work at a body shop or on cars as a hobby. That just screams it to me. I have plenty of gearhead friends that do the same type of thing. Nice work btw! The best I can do is change oil and brake pads on a good day lol! I did just redo the gasket on my oil pan and it wasn't too bad plus changed one of my O2 sensors. That was a royal pain without the proper wrench.... anyways, sorry to ramble on :) good work! Might have to steal that idea. Ever think of doing the same to the phone bezel so it would match? You'd have to be EXTREMELY careful though.

its a hobby. I'd like to be phone savvy like these devs

znanoDA

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
How did you do it? Did you use automobile metal polish? Do you know what type of metal its made out of? I was thinking about doing this a little while back and forgot about it. And I also want to etch some custom art into it as well. Make it more personalized

I would also like to do the trim piece but it would be tricky to do it without touching anything else, and I don't see myself taking it off.

basically wet sanded it with the sandpaper in the order described and used eagle one nano wheel polish.

wayde187

Oct 27, 2010
Seattle
Word. I'm gonna hit mine up when I get paid and take to a metal engraving place that does zippos or trophies and whatnot. Will post some pics when I have the finished product. Not exactly sure what design or layout I'm gonna go with but its gonna combine the brushed finish and polished finish. 'Til next time.

znanoDA

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
Word. I'm gonna hit mine up when I get paid and take to a metal engraving place that does zippos or trophies and whatnot. Will post some pics when I have the finished product. Not exactly sure what design or layout I'm gonna go with but its gonna combine the brushed finish and polished finish. 'Til next time.

id like to see this

Last edited:

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I remember someone talked about engraving their battery cover but they either never did or never posted back about it. Sounds cool though. Let us know...

its not that slippery just slightly

Automotive Wet/Dry sand paper

400-600-800-1000-1500-and finally 2000 grit

you should have finished it off with wetsanding with 4000 and then polished it with a rotating cloth and some oil (but not to intence, the oil can make the metal dark and ugly if u let it heat up too much from the friction)

i polished a piece of metal like that one time, made it clearer than my bathroom mirror :p

but still nice work :D

Reactions: znanoDA

znanoDA

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
you should have finished it off with wetsanding with 4000 and then polished it with a rotating cloth and some oil (but not to intence, the oil can make the metal dark and ugly if u let it heat up too much from the friction)

i polished a piece of metal like that one time, made it clearer than my bathroom mirror :p

Sounds like a good idea. I might do but i was just using what i had on hand. Thanks for the tip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So the clear coat on the battery cover to my phone was peeling so i decided to polish it

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg
    I think it looks good, but does it make that cover more slippery?

My back cover began peeling off in flakes because the back got scratched against a concrete bench. I used a beer bottle opener circular end to scrape off the top layer and it came out just as polished and didn't suffer any scratches from the beer opener.