GSM has been unlocked on sprint branded Photon 4g!

Search This thread

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
So, I flashed the ROM.zip and I couldn't get past the Motorola screen. :( I'll try some more things tomorrow. I did full wipe and formats before install. I don't know if I missed something, but I've been unlocking, rooting and recovery-ing all day just so I could try this. I'll get back on the horse after work tomorrow. Thanks to all the Developers that make this possible.

Side note, my Photon hasn't been activated on Sprint. Would it help if I activated it?

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Sooooo, I tried to activate my Photon on Sprint and ran into a few problems. I'm trying to sbf back to 154_5 stock image. Once that's finished I'm going to try to activate it again. From there I'll flash this again and maybe I'll get out to boot.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
The iPhone 4 uses a micro sim. I've never heard of these adapters, but with on I would imagine it would work. I tried this with an activated AT&T sim, but I haven't had any success thus far.

Miniassassin23

Dec 23, 2011
Okay so I decided to risk it and flashed some atrix radios on to the photo. And nothing happened and the baseband didn't change either I flashed with fast boot is there any other way besides sbf cause that errors out

Michael443

Feb 3, 2009
San Sebastian
it does not work, flashed it with CWM and stayed at bootloop, reflashed again and the same. i dont know if its the version of the photon , think it had sprint latest.

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Well, somewhere along the line I flashed the sbf for a Motorola Electrify 2.3.5. At this time there is no way to unlock the bootloader. So I'm gonna try to send it to Motorola to see if they can fix it for me. Until then I'm kind of frozen up on testing this.

Mastajeff

Dec 6, 2010
Let me know if you come up with something that needs testing.. id love to help get this done as ill be leaving for att very soon

rdbunch

Mar 4, 2011
Minneapolis
twitter.com
Last edited:
Reactions: moonzbabysh

Rippa_MD

Sep 8, 2007
The title of this thread is not quite accurate.

Perhaps a more suitable title "GSM has been unlocked on sprint branded Photon 4g! Update Has not been unlocked...WOMP WOMP"

Any news?

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida
I'm a huge fan of Joker's and Turl's CM9 for the ATRIX 4G so I decided to buy a Photon. I have an active AT&T account in the US and I've noticed that when I pop my sim card into the Photon and do *#*#4636#*#* that it recognizes my number and shows AT&T but only for a few seconds. But it flickers back and forth between AT&T and no service and shows I have voicemail and I've even received a text message but couldn't reply to it. If anyone needs testing, I have both an Atrix and Photon and am willing to flash any amount of mods as I would love to use the Photon as my main phone. Shoot me a message if anyone has anything.

Sent from my CM9 MB860

Lightsword1942

Apr 25, 2010
I'm a huge fan of Joker's and Turl's CM9 for the ATRIX 4G so I decided to buy a Photon. I have an active AT&T account in the US and I've noticed that when I pop my sim card into the Photon and do *#*#4636#*#* that it recognizes my number and shows AT&T but only for a few seconds. But it flickers back and forth between AT&T and no service and shows I have voicemail and I've even received a text message but couldn't reply to it. If anyone needs testing, I have both an Atrix and Photon and am willing to flash any amount of mods as I would love to use the Photon as my main phone. Shoot me a message if anyone has anything.

Interesting, that might be a possible exploit vector if it can be scripted or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all

I made a zip of the Japanese bp.img that you can flash for CWM. I was able to use a US T-MOBILE SIM on the sprint photon, however you will LOSE Sprint service. The photon had the bootloader unlocked and rooted before I flashed the radio.

If you want Sprint service back you need to use RDSlite and a Sprint SBF, I used 198_6.

WARNING THIS CAN DAMAGE OR BRICK YOUR PHONE AS WITH ANYTHING YOU FLASH ON YOUR PHONE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yqgk95

PICS from my Photon
    xajo3.jpg
    142g5fl.jpg
    1262qsh.jpg
    Alright so someone(I will not name unless they ask) has given me a copy of the japanese radio. I will be attaching it to this post. If someone wants to figure out how to flash it go ahead, otherwise I will look into it tomorrow. MD5 is E57A9D8454C4BDC43B896CC3E3229689
    Special thanks to Miniassasin23 for doing the testing. I don't have a sim card to test with, and when i test my stuff it often results in my devices being inoperable for long periods of time, and they normally aren't spares either. Utter chaos....

Success.png

That is the correspondence, post the pictures in a reply to this thread if you want Miniassasin I'd like to see them. Once again thanks, and I'll send you what should be a much more stable kernel that I built last night as soon as you give me an e-mail.

What does this mean now? For anyone who has been wanting to jump ship with their photon, it means you should soon be able to. An alpha release will be posted as soon as I pump a build out that I feel is stable enough (and works well enough) to responsibly distribute. I did a build last night that is untested currently, so if it tests well, the alpha release could be available within 24-48 hours on these boards.

The recommended release will be more for the devs then for the users as it will basically be a demonstration that the GSM code has been isolated and is portable, mine will be the latest stock kernel with GSM unlocked, but I intend to release it with a patch for devs to use to add that functionality to any of their non-stock kernels.
    Do you have any proof other then a forum post?

This looks like pure troll.
    Hello all

I made a zip of the Japanese bp.img that you can flash for CWM. I was able to use a US T-MOBILE SIM on the sprint photon, however you will LOSE Sprint service. The photon had the bootloader unlocked and rooted before I flashed the radio.

If you want Sprint service back you need to use RDSlite and a Sprint SBF, I used 198_6.

WARNING THIS CAN DAMAGE OR BRICK YOUR PHONE AS WITH ANYTHING YOU FLASH ON YOUR PHONE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yqgk95

PICS from my Photon
    xajo3.jpg
    142g5fl.jpg
    1262qsh.jpg

I will test this right now for att and post results http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1664212

EDIT: Confirmed working on att stock rom rooted and unlock. SMS MMS and 3g data working!

Great work, surprising how simple this ended up being.