Best Radio for Andriod

Search This thread

PaceyWhitter

Aug 11, 2008
I was looking into whether some of my GPS problems were due to the radio I was using.

I'm using the last official Sprint radio (which I believe was 3.35). I have seen that some people have been using 3.42.50.

Two questions, first how do I determine what radio I am using if I have android on the NAND and second, would updating the radio improve GPS reception?

incubus26jc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
Most people use 3.42.50 with AGPS Fix(Assisted GPS) using data. Search vogue agps. Its a process that you will need to do using windows mobile. It will give you gps locks in 5 to 15 sec rather than 30 sec to a minute. You can update the radio without doing the fix. Im not sure how to determine your radio with android. sorry. Not saying there isnt a way
EDIT: Sorry agps is verizon only

Last edited:

jnadke

Jul 17, 2008
Most people in the WinMo forums say 3.42.50 improves reception, some say it doesn't.

I'm on Sprint and I use 3.42.50. Been using it for a long while now, certainly haven't had issues. It's the one I use when doing development on the GPS driver.

br125

Jan 25, 2009
honestly after messing with the radio in WM (everyone claiming better results with the bell radio .45, so I had to try it), and not noticing any favorable differences, I ended up back with my factory vzw 3.37.78 radio, which "seems" to work the best for me, yet like I said, almost no difference was noted.

That being said, android "should" not be any different in terms of radio.. as I'm still on the same vzw radio with great gps results running android.

NAND with mssmison's 2.1 build (currently)
xv6900 from verizon (vogue)
** same results with other builds as well

edit: I did not seem to find any negatives to the "upgraded" radio either.. so it doesn't hurt to try, but don't expect the world, as it might not change anything
You're on sprint so you do not need to worry about the aGPS fix either, that's only for vzw vogues

Last edited:

incubus26jc

Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
honestly after messing with the radio in WM (everyone claiming better results with the bell radio .45, so I had to try it), and not noticing any favorable differences, I ended up back with my factory vzw 3.37.78 radio, which "seems" to work the best for me, yet like I said, almost no difference was noted.

That being said, android "should" not be any different in terms of radio.. as I'm still on the same vzw radio with great gps results running android.

NAND with msmission's 2.1 build (currently)
xv6900 from verizon (vogue)
** same results with other builds as well

edit: I did not seem to find any negatives to the "upgraded" radio either.. so it doesn't hurt to try, but don't expect the world, as it might not change anything
You're on sprint so you do not need to worry about the aGPS fix either, that's only for vzw vogues

I didnt know that it was for vzw only. sorry.

Reddog80p

Apr 10, 2009
Central California
yep, vzw is the only one that decided to lock down the gps so you'd buy vz navigator, but the developers here of course found a way around it!

thanks to xda again!

I think U.S Cellular locks gps too, you just don't hear about it in here. I have never noticed a difference between 3.37.78,3.42.30 or 3.42.50. I run 3.42.50 cus I'm cool like that! lol

PaceyWhitter

Aug 11, 2008
So, is the only way to upgrade the radio to reflash winmo? I found the .nbh but it wouldn't flash the normal way.

br125

Jan 25, 2009
I think U.S Cellular locks gps too, you just don't hear about it in here. I have never noticed a difference between 3.37.78,3.42.30 or 3.42.50. I run 3.42.50 cus I'm cool like that! lol

touché! I did not know that about us cellular..

so yeah, what he said..

edit: I've never flashed a radio without using the "radio rom" with WM 6.1 from a carrier... BUT it is possible to flash the radio only, you just might spend more time looking for the .nbh you need to flash..

I recommend just flashing the stock bell wm 6.1 rom to flash the radio, making sure to not let customizations run, then back to android

Last edited:

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
I'm running 3.42.30 from Sprint.

I never experienced any problems with this version and as they always say. If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it.

incubus26jc

Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
Here is the 3.42.50, 3.42.30, radio only nbh's. These Radio's are gps ready and are not carrier specific

These are radio only roms designed to be flashed from bootloader from sd card and doesn't require a hard reset. Copy VOGUIMG.nbh to root of fat32 micro sd card and place phone in bootloader and it will run.

Last edited:

drewden123

Mar 8, 2008
Here is the 3.42.50, 3.42.30, radio only nbh's. These Radio's are gps ready and are not carrier specific

These are radio only roms designed to be flashed from bootloader from sd card and doesn't require a hard reset. Copy VOGUIMG.nbh to root of fat32 micro sd card and place phone in bootloader and it will run.

Note that these aren't compatible with SDHC cards or the RUU. Just clarifying in case somebody was gonna try.

seanmcd72

Sep 11, 2007
I'm using 3.42.40. It seems better at holding sats than .50. the .50 version is very "jumpy" when watching a GPS test app.