[ROM] [LINARO][19/06/13][SentinelROM]v4.75-CM10.1 Source-Fast, Stable, Battery[GPL]

Search This thread

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
sentinelrom.png

Welcome to SentinelROM for Nexus 7. Compiled with Linaro toolchain from modded CM10.1 source. Android 4.2.2.

main.png

This ROM is compiled from CyanogenMod 10.1 with all the features you get in a CM10.1 ROM, plus the following features.
  • Compiled with Linaro toolchain
  • Zip Aligned
  • LMT Pie Controls.
  • Compiled from latest CyanogenMod 10.1 source by me, not a 'cooked ROM'.
  • OTA Updates supported
  • Improved Web Browsing performance
  • Improved 3D gaming performance
  • Amazing battery life
  • Additional theming and UI customisation
  • FAST support via this page and our Facebook Page

details.png

This ROM has been built to enhance the CyanogenMod 10.1 experience, with faster gaming and web browsing performance (no choppyness in Chrome too!).

Countless hours have been spent making tweaks to settings to squeeze the most performance I can find out of this ROM while still providing excellent battery life and without the dangers of overclocking and kernel level tweaking.

I compile this ROM and Kernel from the latest CyanogenMod source code, add my various tweaks and adjustments, then test for stability, so you get all the benefits of CyanogenMod 10.1, plus my tweaks and extras, all without the instability and inconvenience of flashing CyanogenMod nightlies (which are not designed specifically for the Nexus 7 like my ROM is.

The kernel source is available from the CyanogenMod's GitHub.

Please note that I do not own a Nexus 7. this ROM is tested on my Nexus 10, compiled again from source to suit the Nexus 7 and tested by my lovely tester team, then released for you to enjoy. Therfore I ask that you please repot any issues you come across in this thread so I can do my best to sort them out ASAP.

screenshots.png

pie.png

nexus7battery1.png

nexus7battery2.png

bugs.png

None that I am aware of. Please report any bugs ASAP.

Note: On CM10.1 ROMs, to access the internal SD card on your device via USB on your PC, please go to "Settings" - "About Tablet" and tap on "Build Number" repeatedly to unlock "Developer Options". Now go to "Developer Options" and enable "Android Debugging".

installation.png

If installing for the first time:

To install this ROM you will need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockWorkMod installed (personally I recommend TWRP, I have had issues with restoring backups using CWM).

1. Copy the downloaded SentinelROM zip to your Internal Storage.
  2. Boot into your custom recovery
  3. Back up your stock ROM
  4. Factory Reset and wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
  5. Format System partition
  6. Install the ROM
  7. Install GAPPS package
  8. Reboot - First boot may take up to 5 minutes

Important: After installation you will be asked if you want to turn on CyanogenMod Statistics, please leave it off as this is an unofficial/modified build.

Note: Use of titanium backup to restore apps and data from another ROM is not recommended, and is the source of 90% of user issues, especially when it comes to battery life. Do so at your own risk.

titaniumbackup.jpg

You may flash other kernels as you wish via recovery. Remember to also flash the correct libraries for any 3rd party kernels. Instructions will be given by the Kernel author. NOTE: Updating the ROM via OTA will also overwrite any custom Kernels you have installed.

faqs.png

Please visit my FAQ's page before asking questions in the thread. Chances are the answer is already there! I'm always happy to help out with any other questions.

mods.png

NOTE: Unless otherwise stated, the following mods are developed by SentinelROM users and therefore I can only offer limited support for problems caused by using them.

Clock and status bar mods - Use these for transparent status bar and centre clock, etc - Thanks to "peetu20"

credits.png

• A huge thanks to my Nexus 7 testing crew! You guys make this ROM possible! Special thanks to XDA member Fadawah.
  • Thanks very much to all those who have answered my questions through the process of creating my own ROM, you know who you are.
  • CyanogenMod for their outstanding work. Full credit to them for the bulk of this ROM.
  • OTA-UpdateCenter.pro for their OTA database support and OTA Updater app source.

downloads.png

If you already have LMT Pie Controls installed, uninstall it before flashing this update. This update contains a customized version.

19/06/13:
SentinelROM v4.75 - ROM and Kernel compiled with Linaro toolchain from CyanogenMod 10.1 source

Please don't forget to hit the Thanks button too :)

GAPPS
http://goo.im/gapps >Check the lastest package available on top
MD5Sum: check the md5 of the files before flashing it

I hope you enjoy my ROM. If you do, plase consider a donation to the CyanogenMod team. If you really like my build, please consider a donation to me as well. Donations go towards flowers for my wife so she lets me keep developing!

Last edited:

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
changelog.png

New development, announcements and pipeline work will be posted on our Facebook page, so be sure to 'like' us if you like SentinelROM :)

19/06/2013:-
v4.75 -
*Compiled with Linaro toolchain v4.8 for an additional performance increase.
*Updated to latest CM10.1 source (Android 4.2.2)
*Updated to latest Vendor Files

[NOTE: You must wipe your System and Dalvik caches after upgrading. GAPPS Must be re-installed after updating. Please view the instructions here.

26/05/2013:-
v4.60 -
*Compiled with Linaro toolchain for a huge performance boost.
*Fixes to GPS
*Fixes to Camera
*Fixes to Apollo
*Fixes to Clock

[NOTE: You must wipe your System and Dalvik caches after upgrading. GAPPS Must be re-installed after updating. Please view the instructions here.

21/05/2013:-
v4.50 -
*GPS Fixed
*Kernel and ROM tweaks for improved performance
*Improved Camera
*Updated Launcher
*Increased notifications volume

[NOTE: A clean installation is required for this update. please view the instructions here.

02/05/2013:-
v4.40 -
*Improved Camera
*Updated Launcher
*Added new LMT Pie Controls app (developed in collaboration with "noname81"
*Multi-User support fixed.

NOTE: If you have GAPPS missing after the update, reinstall the latest GAPPS package using link in OP.

06/05/2013:-
v4.40 -
*Improved Camera
*Updated Launcher
*GPS Fixed
*Added new LMT Pie Controls app (developed in collaboration with "noname81")

NOTE: If you have GAPPS missing after the update, reinstall the latest GAPPS package using link in OP.

NOTE: If you already have LMT Pie Controls installed, uninstall it before flashing this update. This update contains a customized version.

21/04/2013:-
v4.30 -
*Improve Wi-Fi signal strength.
*Addresses any issues with SystemUI memory leaks.

12/04/2013:-
v4.20 -
*Improved battery life again!
*Additional UI tweaks and new features by the CM team

30/03/2013:-
v4.11 -
*Improved battery life

09/03/2013:-
v4.00 -
*Compiled from latest CM10.1 source. (Android 4.2.2)
*Additional performance improvements and bugfixes.

NOTE: Please update to the latest GAPPS package for 4.2.2 after updating. Use the link supplied in the OP.

11/02/2013:-
v3.20 -
*Initial Nexus 7 release.

Last edited:

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Flashed this morning. Not much chance to play with it but smooth so far. What is 'Swag Papers' supposed to do? Just hangs at Retreiving wallpapers from server.

Hi mate, I'm not familiar with "Swag Papers". Is it an app you've installed yourself? Maybe it's part of the latest CM10.1 source. I'll have to look tonight when I get home from work. I can't find it on my Nexus 10 running the same ROM.

thecdn

Apr 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Google Pixel 6
Hi mate, I'm not familiar with "Swag Papers". Is it an app you've installed yourself? Maybe it's part of the latest CM10.1 source. I'll have to look tonight when I get home from work. I can't find it on my Nexus 10 running the same ROM.

I have no idea what it is, was an option under wallpapers with a unicorn symbol. I flash a lot of roms, maybe it's left over from something else. (I do a factory reset between rom's)

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
That's bizzare.

Under wallpapers, you should have:
  • Gallery
  • Live Wallpapers
  • No Wallpaper
  • SentinelROM Wallpapers
  • Wallpapers

Are you using Apps to SD? Maybe its something stored on your SD card?

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I just had a look at my source and I can't find any reference anywhere to it. If it has a unicorn logo, maybe it's left over from an AOKP rom?

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
Why hasn't this ROM been getting much attention?

Theres 2 things that put me off here:

Not very well known
In the screenshot you have 74% battery, but yet it says 50 minutes remaining?

(It looks very nice though !! )

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Why hasn't this ROM been getting much attention?

Theres 2 things that put me off here:

Not very well known
In the screenshot you have 74% battery, but yet it says 50 minutes remaining?

(It looks very nice though !! )

Haha. I hadn't noticed that battery life thing to be honest. That would be because I was connected via DDMS and logcatting, plus I had the screen brightness maxed out for testing.

BTW it's had about 90 downloads. Just not many posters.

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
What I mean is that CM10.1 uses the same source for all devices rather than being specifically taylored for each device. Where-as with SentinelROM, I make changes to the source which are specifically done to maximize performance on each device I release it for.

Reactions: C4SCA

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I've had over 200 downloads of v4.00, but hardly anyone is posting feedback here in the thread. (plenty via PM).

I guess no posts means no problems, but I'd still love to hear how are you all finding the ROM!

Ninja25

Jul 15, 2010
Re: [ROM] [09/03/13] [4.2.2] - SentinelROM v4.00 - CM10.1 Source - Fast, Stable, Them

I've had over 200 downloads of v4.00, but hardly anyone is posting feedback here in the thread. (plenty via PM).

I guess no posts means no problems, but I'd still love to hear how are you all finding the ROM!

Giving this ROM a run. Just downloaded an hour ago. Flashed and everything is smoooooooth. I'm loving it so far. Thanks man. :cheers:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: Sentinel196

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sentinelrom.png

Welcome to SentinelROM for Nexus 7. Compiled with Linaro toolchain from modded CM10.1 source. Android 4.2.2.

main.png

This ROM is compiled from CyanogenMod 10.1 with all the features you get in a CM10.1 ROM, plus the following features.
    • Compiled with Linaro toolchain
    • Zip Aligned
    • LMT Pie Controls.
    • Compiled from latest CyanogenMod 10.1 source by me, not a 'cooked ROM'.
    • OTA Updates supported
    • Improved Web Browsing performance
    • Improved 3D gaming performance
    • Amazing battery life
    • Additional theming and UI customisation
    • FAST support via this page and our Facebook Page

details.png

This ROM has been built to enhance the CyanogenMod 10.1 experience, with faster gaming and web browsing performance (no choppyness in Chrome too!).

Countless hours have been spent making tweaks to settings to squeeze the most performance I can find out of this ROM while still providing excellent battery life and without the dangers of overclocking and kernel level tweaking.

I compile this ROM and Kernel from the latest CyanogenMod source code, add my various tweaks and adjustments, then test for stability, so you get all the benefits of CyanogenMod 10.1, plus my tweaks and extras, all without the instability and inconvenience of flashing CyanogenMod nightlies (which are not designed specifically for the Nexus 7 like my ROM is.

The kernel source is available from the CyanogenMod's GitHub.

Please note that I do not own a Nexus 7. this ROM is tested on my Nexus 10, compiled again from source to suit the Nexus 7 and tested by my lovely tester team, then released for you to enjoy. Therfore I ask that you please repot any issues you come across in this thread so I can do my best to sort them out ASAP.

screenshots.png

pie.png

nexus7battery1.png

nexus7battery2.png

bugs.png

None that I am aware of. Please report any bugs ASAP.

Note: On CM10.1 ROMs, to access the internal SD card on your device via USB on your PC, please go to "Settings" - "About Tablet" and tap on "Build Number" repeatedly to unlock "Developer Options". Now go to "Developer Options" and enable "Android Debugging".

installation.png

If installing for the first time:

To install this ROM you will need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockWorkMod installed (personally I recommend TWRP, I have had issues with restoring backups using CWM).

1. Copy the downloaded SentinelROM zip to your Internal Storage.
    2. Boot into your custom recovery
    3. Back up your stock ROM
    4. Factory Reset and wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    5. Format System partition
    6. Install the ROM
    7. Install GAPPS package
    8. Reboot - First boot may take up to 5 minutes

Important: After installation you will be asked if you want to turn on CyanogenMod Statistics, please leave it off as this is an unofficial/modified build.

Note: Use of titanium backup to restore apps and data from another ROM is not recommended, and is the source of 90% of user issues, especially when it comes to battery life. Do so at your own risk.

titaniumbackup.jpg

You may flash other kernels as you wish via recovery. Remember to also flash the correct libraries for any 3rd party kernels. Instructions will be given by the Kernel author. NOTE: Updating the ROM via OTA will also overwrite any custom Kernels you have installed.

faqs.png

Please visit my FAQ's page before asking questions in the thread. Chances are the answer is already there! I'm always happy to help out with any other questions.

mods.png

NOTE: Unless otherwise stated, the following mods are developed by SentinelROM users and therefore I can only offer limited support for problems caused by using them.

Clock and status bar mods - Use these for transparent status bar and centre clock, etc - Thanks to "peetu20"

credits.png

• A huge thanks to my Nexus 7 testing crew! You guys make this ROM possible! Special thanks to XDA member Fadawah.
    • Thanks very much to all those who have answered my questions through the process of creating my own ROM, you know who you are.
    • CyanogenMod for their outstanding work. Full credit to them for the bulk of this ROM.
    • OTA-UpdateCenter.pro for their OTA database support and OTA Updater app source.

downloads.png

If you already have LMT Pie Controls installed, uninstall it before flashing this update. This update contains a customized version.

19/06/13:
    SentinelROM v4.75 - ROM and Kernel compiled with Linaro toolchain from CyanogenMod 10.1 source

Please don't forget to hit the Thanks button too :)

GAPPS
    http://goo.im/gapps >Check the lastest package available on top
    MD5Sum: check the md5 of the files before flashing it

I hope you enjoy my ROM. If you do, plase consider a donation to the CyanogenMod team. If you really like my build, please consider a donation to me as well. Donations go towards flowers for my wife so she lets me keep developing!
    changelog.png

New development, announcements and pipeline work will be posted on our Facebook page, so be sure to 'like' us if you like SentinelROM :)

19/06/2013:-
    v4.75 -
    *Compiled with Linaro toolchain v4.8 for an additional performance increase.
    *Updated to latest Vendor Files

26/05/2013:-
    v4.60 -
    *Fixes to GPS
    *Fixes to Camera
    *Fixes to Apollo
    *Fixes to Clock

21/05/2013:-
    v4.50 -
    *GPS Fixed
    *Improved Camera
    *Updated Launcher
    *Increased notifications volume

[NOTE: A clean installation is required for this update. please view the instructions here.

02/05/2013:-
    v4.40 -
    *Improved Camera
    *Updated Launcher
    *Added new LMT Pie Controls app (developed in collaboration with "noname81"

06/05/2013:-
    v4.40 -
    *Improved Camera
    *Updated Launcher
    *GPS Fixed
    *Added new LMT Pie Controls app (developed in collaboration with "noname81")

NOTE: If you already have LMT Pie Controls installed, uninstall it before flashing this update. This update contains a customized version.

21/04/2013:-
    v4.30 -
    *Improve Wi-Fi signal strength.
    *Addresses any issues with SystemUI memory leaks.

v4.20 -

30/03/2013:-
    v4.11 -
    *Improved battery life

09/03/2013:-
    v4.00 -
    *Compiled from latest CM10.1 source. (Android 4.2.2)
    *Additional performance improvements and bugfixes.

NOTE: Please update to the latest GAPPS package for 4.2.2 after updating. Use the link supplied in the OP.

11/02/2013:-
    v3.20 -
    *Initial Nexus 7 release.
    videos.png

A run through of SentinelROM for Nexus 7 by user WeeFeeri

Setting up LMT Pie Controls
    Looks like we have some issues. The beta doesn't want to boot. I'm going to do some more testing and come back to you guys :)
    SentinelROM v4.20 is now available. See the OP for details.

CHANGELOG:

v4.20 -

Enjoy :)