whats the best video chat app qik, tango, fring or oovoo

Search This thread

djeddieone

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
www.djeddieone.com
So after using Cyanogen 6 & 7 here's a little review on what video chat apps work on froyo CM6 and Gingerbread CM7. I figured this would save some of you some time

Qik - works great on CM6 but it force closes on CM7. Video quality is good and audio is ok good enough to do the job

Tango - works great on CM7 with a mod where you can use front and back cameras. But on CM6 it only detects the back camera. Video quality is good but audio not so good

Fring - works on CM7 with out any mods but the video and audio quality is not so good. On CM6 it only detects the back camera.

Oovoo - is the new kid on the block working great both audio and video on CM6. I didn't test it on CM7 so if someone does let me know this app and Qik is the reason why I went back to CM6 from CM7.

h22aboi

Nov 17, 2010
I've tried them all too but unfortunately the battery drain from the apps is really poor... I just uninstalled and will reinstall when a friend wants to video chat.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

my2sense

Jan 12, 2010
Tango is still upside down for me on FFC using CM7. Changing manufacturer to Samsung in build.prop didn't fix it :(. Image is right side up using the back camera.

TJBunch1228

Feb 6, 2010
What about Yahoo? It's apparently the only one that works from phone to PC. Can anyone confirm on our devices?

tvotony

Oct 30, 2010
What about Yahoo? It's apparently the only one that works from phone to PC. Can anyone confirm on our devices?

Oovoo dose too I have tried with my girlfriend and it's of good quality. But I'm not sure if it works with any of the cm mods

lalab0y

Dec 18, 2010
bump..i would like to find out too since i video chat with my girlfriend who's on a computer..

where do u get the oovoo app? didnt see it in the market and the website says your device is not supported..

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
Tango works great for my girl and I using the older version. The updated version has us looking at each other upside down. So if anyone having that problem just revert back to the older version.

Qik I have not tried since I flashed cm. I heard its working on the latest nightly build but have not tried it. I never liked the quality when I used to use it on the stock rom anyways.

Yahoo video chat still gotta be the best though. Video and sound quality are best. Better than qik and tango. And it does not work only from pc to device, it also works from device to device.

lalab0y

Dec 18, 2010
Tango works great for my girl and I using the older version. The updated version has us looking at each other upside down. So if anyone having that problem just revert back to the older version.

Qik I have not tried since I flashed cm. I heard its working on the latest nightly build but have not tried it. I never liked the quality when I used to use it on the stock rom anyways.

Yahoo video chat still gotta be the best though. Video and sound quality are best. Better than qik and tango. And it does not work only from pc to device, it also works from device to device.

but yahoo chat isnt working with CM..i think that's what most of us are facing

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
so what rom has all the video chats working properly?

i have all the roms downloaded to my sd card. i know im going to mainly use oovoo and yahoo since its phone to pc but i might use qik and tango here and there.

feedback thanks.

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati

i have all the roms downloaded to my sd card. i know im going to mainly use oovoo and yahoo since its phone to pc but i might use qik and tango here and there.

feedback thanks.

the Gingerbread ROMs are the only ones with goofy FFC working with Applications. All FroYo based ROMs should work fairly well. The app developers have no upped their apps to work with Ext4 style ROMs. It has nothing to do with the developers of the ROMs, but has everything to do with the App Developers.

lalab0y

Dec 18, 2010

feedback thanks.

I had no problems with any video chat app while I was running iced glacier or royal glacier

lalab0y

Dec 18, 2010
Yes you're right. Is my bad I should've specified that. I meant in general yahoo is best when it comes to video calling. But is the reason I use tango now, because nothing else works properly.

completely agree..i loved yahoo messenger when I was still using iced glacier..might switch back just for that :(

$pitacular1

Sep 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I had read somewhere that Yahoo Chat wasn't working at all, on almost any phones, stock ROM or not.. it just "stopped working" one day. This was about a month ago I think

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
I had read somewhere that Yahoo Chat wasn't working at all, on almost any phones, stock ROM or not.. it just "stopped working" one day. This was about a month ago I think
Well I been running cm roms for a pretty long while now so I wouldn't know. But when I barely got my mt4g last year yahoo video chat was working flawlessly.

lalab0y

Dec 18, 2010

Is it even possible for the app to just stop working suddenly without changing anything? o_O

When I was running iced glacier 2 weeks ago it was still working fine..

tvotony

Oct 30, 2010
bump..i would like to find out too since i video chat with my girlfriend who's on a computer..

where do u get the oovoo app? didnt see it in the market and the website says your device is not supported..

It's not in the cm7 market for some reason. But on the stock rom and iced glacier

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App