[kernel patches,performance] lock contention, removal - other tweaks

Search This thread

zacharias.maladroit

Recognized Developer
Greetings to all :)

since I just recently stumbled upon the following kernel patchset [PATCH] mm/vmalloc: Introduce DEBUG_VMALLOCINFO to reduce spinlock contention]

and am successfully running it on my desktop kernel (3.13) with significant smoothness and interactivity improvements

I'd thought - why not let others on XDA know about it

http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=139714810128208&w=2

I'm not sure if it'll apply cleanly to AOSP, AOKP, CM11, or stock kernel source of the G-Pad 8.3

but it's good to have it at the back of one's mind, that there's even more potential for smoothness :D

Within the following days I'll see if I can find additional improvement related to 3.4 kernel source and especially our device

but there's not much time due to studies & job - nevertheless I'll try to do my best to contribute to make the experience on this device the best as possible (how I miss the good ol' days on the SGS, GT-i9000 ;) )

edit:

in a nutshell I'll add & post additional patches or patchsets to this thread

@mods:

if this is the wrong subforum I apologize in advance and please move the thread to the relevant sub-forum as you see fit - thanks !

Last edited:

zacharias.maladroit

Recognized Developer
Oh, ok. Looking forward for the result! Good luck with the coding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks,

ok, just inspected it and only a part of the changes apply (after applying manually)

so it's probably not worth it (the first mentioned patch),

patch -p1 --dry-run < /home/user/kernel-development/3.13.x/mm_fixes/\[PATCH\]\ mm_vmalloc\:\ Introduce\ DEBUG_VMALLOCINFO\ to\ reduce\ spinlock\ contention.txt
checking file lib/Kconfig.debug
Hunk #1 succeeded at 740 with fuzz 2 (offset 248 lines).
checking file mm/vmalloc.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1988.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 2020.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 2070.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 2101.
Hunk #5 succeeded at 2590 with fuzz 2 (offset 59 lines).
Hunk #6 FAILED at 2678.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 2690.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 2724.
7 out of 8 hunks FAILED
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

will see what other patches could be candidates to use

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings to all :)

since I just recently stumbled upon the following kernel patchset [PATCH] mm/vmalloc: Introduce DEBUG_VMALLOCINFO to reduce spinlock contention]

and am successfully running it on my desktop kernel (3.13) with significant smoothness and interactivity improvements

I'd thought - why not let others on XDA know about it

http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=139714810128208&w=2

I'm not sure if it'll apply cleanly to AOSP, AOKP, CM11, or stock kernel source of the G-Pad 8.3

but it's good to have it at the back of one's mind, that there's even more potential for smoothness :D

Within the following days I'll see if I can find additional improvement related to 3.4 kernel source and especially our device

but there's not much time due to studies & job - nevertheless I'll try to do my best to contribute to make the experience on this device the best as possible (how I miss the good ol' days on the SGS, GT-i9000 ;) )

edit:

in a nutshell I'll add & post additional patches or patchsets to this thread

@mods:

if this is the wrong subforum I apologize in advance and please move the thread to the relevant sub-forum as you see fit - thanks !
    apologies,

added patches to the tile

there's no kernel yet available with that patchset included

Oh, ok. Looking forward for the result! Good luck with the coding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ok, just found out that around 3.4 kernel release I wasn't very actively following the lkml (linux kernel mailing list)

will see if I can follow up reading what changes occured and/or backport some newer changes (having some patches for 3.8+ kernel but most of those aren't interesting for embedded / android devices - I guess)