Case Cracking - Hairline Fractures

Search This thread

chivamex10

Mar 6, 2012
I got my first lg g3 launch day and the warranty replacement they gave me that's cracking was made 7/2014. Lg's twitter told me they would hook me up with the "executive service team" I told them that I was gonna use my jump plan to upgrade to a different phone because sending my phone for a week is not acceptable. I told them other companies have advance replacement plans where they send you a new one and put a hold on your card and you send the defective one back. They told me they didn't offer such a thing. I then replied that they should acknowledge it as an official issue with the phone so my carrier can freely hand out warranty replacements without discretion.

Not only that, but the crack on this phone has gotten worst. My fracture at the on the ir port has reached to the top edge of the screen. The crack on the mic seems to be more stable. I just hope I can jump to a Z3 without much hassle.

Jump shouldn't be an issue. The 3 things they look for are lcd/screen damage, liquid damage, and if its rooted. Dunno about the Z3 tho. Seems like a downgrade IMO. The only thing worth ditching this phone over is the note 4 or the nexus 6.

digitalpirate

May 16, 2008
Phoenix
Jump shouldn't be an issue. The 3 things they look for are lcd/screen damage, liquid damage, and if its rooted. Dunno about the Z3 tho. Seems like a downgrade IMO. The only thing worth ditching this phone over is the note 4 or the nexus 6.
Eh I'd say it's a sidegrade not a downgrade I actually thought about getting the note 4, but I had the note 3 before this phone and I just didn't' like the size. It's amazing how a slight difference in size can change how you use your phone. I think it's gotten to the point where specs make little difference now. The thing I like about the z3 is the details sony has put into the phone like waterproofing, magnetic charging, and mainly the battery life.

Jhawk55

May 6, 2012
Accidentally fumbled upon this news topic, immediately checked my LG G3 (D855) and found 2 hairline cracks at IR (top) & microphone (bottom) ports. I think this issue effect most LG G3 mobile phones gobally as I am living in Singapore. Need to call up my telco (StarHub) or LG for any remedy action.

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
Questions for you all

So I have had my phone for almost a full month now... I see some have issues with cracks, USB port, etc...

Do you all live in extreme cold or extreme hot climates that have the cracking issue?
I'm on the East Coast, Southern USA, and have no issues at all... I'm trying to see if there is a common variable here is all..

USB plugging issues... Plug the cable in with a very slight downward angle, and it's smooth and easy every time.
My guess is that the little tab inside the port on the phone is slightly offset to ensure a secure connection each time.

Phone flexing while removing battery cover... Hasn't happened to me yet... Then again, I also don't find myself removing the battery from the phone often... I have literally done it once, and that was when I rooted the device, and had to to make it reboot. Didn't even have to pull it for Download mode.

Kawaisa

Oct 31, 2011
So I have had my phone for almost a full month now... I see some have issues with cracks, USB port, etc...

Do you all live in extreme cold or extreme hot climates that have the cracking issue?
I'm on the East Coast, Southern USA, and have no issues at all... I'm trying to see if there is a common variable here is all..

USB plugging issues... Plug the cable in with a very slight downward angle, and it's smooth and easy every time.
My guess is that the little tab inside the port on the phone is slightly offset to ensure a secure connection each time.

Phone flexing while removing battery cover... Hasn't happened to me yet... Then again, I also don't find myself removing the battery from the phone often... I have literally done it once, and that was when I rooted the device, and had to to make it reboot. Didn't even have to pull it for Download mode.
LG also claimed that it's a early batch issue so I would assume that the ones made in the last 2 months would be free from these cracks - June/July manufacture dates might see this issue.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
Denver
I have a hairline crack under my headphone jack. I'm surprised since I have never used it and I have always had a case on it. Since it is so small it doesn't bother me but it is disappointing.

EibonMusic

Nov 20, 2014
I have this issue on various places. Anybody know if Tmobile issues replacements for this still? I'm very careful with my phone so there is no reason for this to happen. Thanks!

LexLuger82

May 25, 2011
Im seeing it on my phone too, can i still trade in with the jump program with this crack?

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium HD app

rohangupta

Dec 9, 2014
I've heard that early batches of the phone have it. It would be great if the people who have cracks can tell me the first 3 digits of their serial number. With that I can determine if mine is from an early lot. First 3 digits of mine are 409.
Serial no. Is behind battery or on the bottom of your box represented by S/N 40XXXXXXXXXX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No cracks so far thankfully..but every time I remove the battery cover I can feel the phone chassis flex and it makes me nervous.

Sent from my amazing LGG3!
    No cracks no lag no shuttering perfect screen
    Just noticed move had the exact crack over the microphone port. What number did you all call and every did you all tell them exactly to get the free replacement?

Sent from my LG G3.
    Just called tmobile... No hassle at all. Have my new phone already
    I now not only have the crack over the mic port, but also over the IR blaster. What number and/or department did you talk to that they know this is a issue and are replacing it for you? Thank you in advance.

Whiteice

*EDIT* NM, just called in and when I talked to the rep, I linked them to this thread about the issue and she hooked me up and waived everything for me.

I had the toughest time getting T-Mobile to resolve this for me without me having to send my phone to LG. Finally got a hold of a rep, on Twitter no less, who was willing to help me. She waived everything for me. She mde sure I was getting a brand new device and not a refurb. Picked up my new phone in store next day.